WhatsApp Hack

Jason

Users are being urged to update their WhatsApp smartphone apps immediately because of a security bug that allows hackers to take over your phone by simply calling it, whether or not you answer.

What has happened?

A vulnerability in the popular Facebook-owned messaging service has been discovered that allowed hackers to install spyware through an infected WhatsApp voice call.

The spyware is capable of trawling through calls, texts and other data, activating the phone’s camera and microphone and performing other malicious activities.

All brands of phones with WhatsApp or WhatsApp Business installed are affected, including Apple’s iPhone (iOS), Android phones, Windows Phones and Tizen devices, according to Facebook. WhatsApp is used by 1.5 billion people globally.

Who is behind the attack?

According to the Financial Times, Israeli cyber intelligence company NSO Group developed the spyware. Users did not even have to accept the call, and it was often hidden from logs, the paper said.

Has it affected me?

The number of people spied on is not yet known. A few targets, including a UK-based human rights lawyer and an Amnesty International researcher, have been identified.

If you haven’t received any WhatsApp voice calls or dropped calls from unknown parties then you have probably not been targeted. But if you happen to be a lawyer or work in sensitive industries and use WhatsApp, even for personal correspondence, you should be especially vigilant.

What do I need to do to protect myself?

Facebook implemented a server-side change to help protect users and pushed out updates for the various smartphone WhatsApp versions on Monday.

Users are strongly advised to check for updates manually through the Apple App Store on an iPhone, Google Play or similar on an Android device, the Microsoft Store on Windows Phones and the Galaxy app store on Tizen devices.

Why doesn't this surprised me. Anything that is associated with Facebook is a security risk.

  • Some Random Guy
    Some Random Guy replied to the thread Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City.
    Great player, captain and ambassador. He will definitely be missed by City.
  • Some Random Guy
    Some Random Guy replied to the thread The Latest Boxing Crack.
    The power Wilder has is frightening, the sound of that punch connecting was sickening. Shame he’s an absolute idiot.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Lloyd Kelly signs for Bournemouth. I thought he would have signed for Liverpool. Young left back but sounds like he could be a good one.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City.
    Kompany personified the character that was needed to drag city out of the old haphazard ways and into the new era of Mancini and beyond...
  • SteveO
    Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City to become player-manager at former club Anderlecht. The 33-year-old defender has...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    Fantastic from Man City. I didn't give Watford much of a chance beforehand but I didn't expect them to get hammered either.
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread The Latest Boxing Crack.
    Good win for Billy Joe Saunders last night. Still can't believe one judge gave Isufi 3 rounds. Forget about drug testing the fighters...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Angel Has Fallen (2019).
    Sign me up. Love these cheesy actioners. Not overly mad on the being-framed-and-on-the-run-to-prove-his-innocence plot. Going a bit...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    City are on a different level. They made that look ridiculously easy. Could have been different if Pereyra had put that early chance...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Days Gone (Bend Studios).
    Was that the one where you used the napalm molotovs?