What Are You Reading? (1 Viewer)

EmmaG
Staff member

EmmaG

Dec 26, 2018
Just finished reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" - fascinating read but also very sad.

The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter by Hazel Gaynor

Really enjoyed this, it seamlessly merges the stories of two different groups of women 100 years apart. Great story. Very well written.

Bree
Staff member

Bree

Sep 23, 2018
Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

A story about a young girl in 1950s/60s America who grew up pretty much on her own from the age of 7, having been abandoned by her mother and siblings due to an abusive husband/father and then by her father.

The story covers two timelines, one following the girl as she comes to terms with her abandonment and how she survives, the other dealing with a murder in the town. Really enjoyed it.

CaptainObvious
Staff member

CaptainObvious

I'm currently reading last year's Booker winner, Milkman. Can't exactly say it has me riveted.

McNulty
Staff member

McNulty

Aug 2, 2018
I'm currently reading last year's Booker winner, Milkman. Can't exactly say it has me riveted.
I'm enjoying Milkman so far (70 or so pages in) but the word meandering definitely applies.

Cherub
Staff member

Cherub

The Sun Does Shine, Anthony Ray Hinton's biography.

It's an amazing story about 29-year-old Ray Hinton, a poor black guy in Alabama who was arrested for a murder he couldn't have committed but was convicted and sent to Death Row where he spent 3 decades trying to prove his innocence. It's a story that will have you swinging through all the emotions and seriously highlights the amount of corruption that exists in the US legal/judiciary system.

Highly recommend.

Reactions: Gemma
The Kat
Staff member

The Kat

Jun 19, 2018
Started 'Skin Deep' by Liz Nugent over the weekend. Enjoying it but I think I read too much hype about it and was expecting too much. I'm about a third of the way through it.

Janey
Staff member

Janey

Just starting "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine". I know I know I am probably the only person on the planet not to have read this book. I did start listening to it on Audible last year but didn’t finish it. So I’m hoping I’ll get through this one pretty quick.

Reactions: Gemma

  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's comment on blog entry Just Live with Like.
    I dreaded turning 30. Turned out to be one of the best years of my life so far. You're doing great babe, you are an inspiration! xxx
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Hi Everyone.
    Welcome, lovely. Great having you here :D
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's post in the thread Hi Everyone with Love.
    Hi everyone. Just got an invitation to join up from Gemma. Looks great. Looking forward to chatting away.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Last Site You Visited?.
    Audible. Looking for a new audio book.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    No shocks in the fifth round with just the Man United versus Chelsea tie to be played. It would be good to see a "smaller" club like...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Science Fiction The Orville.
    I actually enjoy this more than Star Trek Discovery. Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Could backfire then but I guess the Cowboys took the same risk keeping Ezekiel Elliott about the place for so long.
  • Birdman
    Birdman reacted to SteveO's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like.
    Read earlier that no punishment has been decided as yet but he is likely to serve a ban.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread The Umbrella Academy.
    Looks intriguing and equally messed up. It was released on Netflix on Friday morning (10 episodes).
  • SteveO
    SteveO posted the thread The Umbrella Academy in ON THE BOX.
    Title: The Umbrella Academy Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy Creator: Steve Blackman Cast: Ellen Page, Tom Hopper...