Wenger Leaving Arsenal At End Of Season (1 Viewer)

Brilliant manager, deserves more respect but probably stayed at Arsenal too long. I doubt we'll see a 20 year+ managerial stint at one club in the top flight again.

Hopefully they can win the Europa League and send him off with a trophy.

Arsene Wenger is to leave Arsenal at the end of the season, ending a near 22-year reign at the club.

The Frenchman departs a year before his latest contract was due to expire.

The Gunners are sixth in the league and set to miss out on a top-four spot for the second straight season, with their hopes of reaching the Champions League resting on winning the Europa League.

Wenger, 68, won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups, including the Double in 1998 and 2002.

"I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years," said Wenger. "I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.

"To all the Arsenal lovers, take care of the values of the club."

Arsenal majority shareholder Stan Kroenke described Friday's announcement as "one of the most difficult days we have ever had in all our years in sport".

He added: "One of the main reasons we got involved with Arsenal was because of what Arsene has brought to the club on and off the pitch.

"His longevity and consistency over such a sustained period at the highest level of the game will never be matched."

Appointed on 1 October 1996, he is the Premier League's current longest-serving manager and has taken charge of a record 823 games.

But some fans have turned on the Frenchman over the past two seasons as a result of their league performances.

Sunday's 2-1 defeat at Newcastle was their 11th in the league this season, equalling their worst tally in a campaign under Wenger.

They are 33 points behind leaders Manchester City, who have 87 points, and the same number away from bottom side West Brom, who have 21.

Arsenal finished outside the top four last term for the first time since Wenger arrived at the club, and are now 14 points behind fourth-placed Tottenham, with five matches remaining.

They face Spanish side Atletico Madrid, who are second in La Liga, in the Europa League semi-finals, with the first leg on Thursday.

Didn't see him leaving before the end of his contract but it's the right move for all concerned I think. Wonder will he pack it in or have a go back in France. I can't see him finishing up yet, football seems to be his life.

And who will replace him?

Awww , what a manager. He may have enjoyed a good moan, but who doesn't!! Nothing but respect for the man. Changed English football. Wenger and Ferguson, and their teams, defined that early Premier League era. Great rivalry.

Wenger and Ferguson, and their teams, defined that early Premier League era. Great rivalry.
That period from 97-03 was the most enjoyable for me as a football fan. The rivalry was incredible and some of the football and drama was amazing. Wenger was a brilliant manager at the time and really changed the approach to football in England

  • Like
Reactions: Boozy

So the Italian FA has approached Ancelotti for the Italian national team job, wonder if that means Allegri was unavailable if you know what I mean.

Arsenal’s board have shortlisted Mikel Arteta, Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira as potential first-team coaching appointments once Arsene Wenger leaves the club, according to reports.

The Gunners are still searching for Wenger’s successor and several candidates have been linked with the role, including Luis Enrique, Brendan Rodgers and Carlo Ancelotti.

But according to The Times, Arsenal’s hierarchy want to appoint a former player as a first-team coach in an attempt to ‘preserve the values’ Wenger has displayed during his 22 years at the club.

Arteta, Henry and Vieira are three candidates on Arsenal’s wanted list, while the report also claims that Arteta is being considered as a direct replacement for Wenger by the club’s chief executive Ivan Gazidis.
While I do think it's time Wenger stepped aside it appears they don't really have anyone lined up to replace him yet (going by the media) and I'd be concerned by that.

I'd be worried by talk of the likes of Arteta or Vieria as I feel they need a strong and experienced high-level manager to replace Wenger.

I think of Moyes at United and everything was just too big for him. The hierarchy at United was far too complacent about Fergie's successor too.

Like United at that time, Arsenal has been run by one man for a long time and things may not be that well oiled for the new man. The board haven't had to make any important football decisions for a long time.

Seems to be between Unai Emery and Mikel Arteta for the head coach job. I think I'd prefer Emery at this point in time. Someone with experience and previous successes to take over from Wenger.

Zidane

Zidane

Mikel Arteta has withdrawn from the race leaving Emery as the favourite. Reports on Sky Sports say Emery could be appointed tonight and they are awaiting an announcement from Arsenal.

CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious

I can't really think of a much better appointment Arsenal could have pulled off.

He's a good manager. I can't see him tearing up trees, challenging for the title in a year or two, but it's as good a pair of hands to manage the transition as any.

In this league, making the top 4 consistently is doing well.

Arsenal have a lot of rebuilding ahead. There's not much to build around right now that'll be a constant for 5 or 6 seasons.

They need a new young core to be implemented while the likes of Mhktarian, Ozil and Aubamayang keep them afloat for a few years.

Unai Emery’s appointment is now official.

I think it's a great appointment and I think his style is suited to the EPL. I expect him to do very well there. I think the PSG job is a nightmare for anybody. He got sacked because he lost to Real Madrid in the Champion's league, that's the team that has won the last two Champion's league titles and beat Bayern Munich in the semi-final.

His team won the league title by 13 points and were only 3 points off the record set by Laurent Blanc's side two years ago. Blanc got canned after that season because he only made the quarters of the Champion's league too.

Crazy club imo.

He wants to rebuild Arsenal around Aaron Ramsey and Pierre Aubamayang.

    Major Tom replied to the thread Mindhunter.
    First three episodes are excellent. Better than season one.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    Very nice result for Spurs against City. Had to ride their luck at times but that's to be expected. City will be disappointed to have...
    Coutinho immediately becomes one of their absolute best players, so it's well worth it for them - he's good enough that they can...
    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM