Football The World Cup 2018 Thread (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will win the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

  • Brazil

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Germany

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • France

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Spain

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Argentina

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belgium

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • England

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Portugal

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uruguay

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russia

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another Team

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    16
  • Poll closed .

That came from nowhere. Then Croatia hit the post too. England are on the ropes here as Croatia turn the screw.

Sad for England. They tired badly in the second half when I thought it would be the Croatians that would tire.

I think when the dust settles England will be happy with their performance in the tournament. For such a young side they did well.

Fair play to Croatia, but I'd fancy France to take them on Sunday.

Gromit
Staff member

Gromit

Today, 17:34
Jun 26, 2018
England shouldn’t be too disappointed. They exceeded all expectations. At the moment they are too limited. They got lucky with the draw and path to the semis but they never had enough quality to win it.

In the past year they’ve either won, or come second in every youth competition going. The future is bright for them and I definitely see them proper challenging in the next couple of World Cups.

There was no balance to the English midfield, too many runners and not enough players that can actually hold the ball and dictate play.

Its the same old failing with England, they just kept on giving the ball away time and time again.

What was Lingard's role in the team last night, he contributed almost zero from an attacking point of view and Sterling's only role was to chase long balls hoofed up to him or put his head down and run?

England needed another ball-playing midfielder in the team, someone like Shelvey or Wilshere. They might not be good enough but that is the type of player they needed instead of direct impact players like Sterling and Lingard who are very average footballers in general play.

Delle Alli isn't that type of player and he didn't look fit either.

Ashley Young was awful too, he contributed nothing going forward and he isn't a defender so whats the point of playing him? Rose should have started instead of him.

England played little to no football after the first half, they couldn't retain the ball and panicked against a Croatian team that were poor for large periods of the match, they laboured and created almost nothing of note until England tired.

England will never get a better chance to reach a major final, they had an easy run to the final and the standard of international football is arguably at an all-time low.

Sadly, they came up short but still did much better than expected.

England shouldn’t be too disappointed. They exceeded all expectations. At the moment they are too limited. They got lucky with the draw and path to the semis but they never had enough quality to win it.

In the past year they’ve either won, or come second in every youth competition going. The future is bright for them and I definitely see them proper challenging in the next couple of World Cups.
Completely agree with this.

With England, we will have to wait and see but obviously, it's clear the reason for their fans to be hopeful.

They just had their best WC result since 1990, and if they manage to win on Saturday it's their best result since they won in 1966. Their team has a number of young players that will be part of the 2020 squad and the 2022 WC.

At the youth levels, their U20s won the World Cup last year for the first time, and their U19s won the Euros for the first time since 1993.

Their current manager previously worked with the youth levels and it is believed they are trying to design a system that maintains a similar style throughout each level in order to help improve the transition to the senior squad.

Yeah, it may not lead to them winning anything, but you would imagine most football fans can understand why the above would be seen as reasons for optimism for the English.

Belgium fully deserving of the third place. Great tournament from them. Played super football throughout with a hard physical edge.

England can't be too disappointed. They would have taken this before the tournament started but they may be disappointed in their last two performances which looked lethargic.

Gromit
Staff member

Gromit

Today, 17:34
Jun 26, 2018
England had a couple of chances in the second half. Dier will probably feel he should have scored but overall Belgium was the better team - so much pace in their team when they break into an attack.

Hopefully Kane will still win the Golden Boot

France very lucky to be leading here. I didn't look like a foul for the freekick that led to the first goal - Griezmann went down very easily with little contact and the penalty was harsh too.

Croatia has been the better team and can count themselves unfortunate to be trailing at half-time.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.fifa.com%2FLiveBlogging%2FUploadedMedia%2FMM%2F5%2F7315%2FF1%2F999516678.jpg&hash=20675da8ad6f65b2a0fc60ae66a192b0

Well done France. It was a good final and Croatia were probably the better team overall but the French were more clinical with their finishing. I'm not sure it was a penalty but you can see why it was given - I agree that the freekick that led to the first goal was soft.

What a howler from Lloris to gift Croatia their 2nd goal!!!

FIFA 2018 WORLD CUP - PLAYER AWARDS

The tournament's individual awards have been announced and defeat in the Final has not stopped Luka Modric from taking the adidas Golden Ball prize.

France forward Kylian Mbappe, a goalscorer in the final, takes the FIFA Young Player award.

Harry Kane claims the adidas Golden Boot after scoring six goals for England, Belgium's Thibaut Courtois takes the adidas Golden Glove award, and Spain collect the FIFA Fair Play Trophy.

Overall, France are a deserving winner. They played well throughout with the exception of the awful match against Denmark. Croatia had an excellent tournament too and we're worthy finalists. They were the better teal in the first half but France stepped up a gear in the second, scoring two goals in 4 minutes to all but seal victory. Pogba was excellent in the middle of the park.

Modric player of the tournament, well deserved, has been outstanding. It's amazing when you talk about the best players in the world you don't really hear his name mentioned.