The World Cup 2018 Thread

Who do you think will win the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

  • Brazil

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Germany

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • France

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Spain

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Argentina

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belgium

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • England

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Portugal

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uruguay

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russia

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another Team

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    16
  • Poll closed .

Not long now until the World Cup gets underway. Some interesting matches in the group stages. Group B has a few local derbies between Portugal, Spain and Morocco. To add more spice Carlos Queiroz is the manger of Iran too. Should be an interesting group.

Can't see the host nation doing anything, they will be lucky to get out of their group. Don't really think any of the African or Asian teams will do anything significant either.

2018-Russia-World-Cup.jpg

Brazil have named their 23-man squad
Goalkeepers​
Defenders​
Midfielders​
Forwards​
Alisson

Thiago Silva

Casemiro

Neymar

Cassio

Miranda

Fred

Gabriel Jesus

Ederson

Marquinhos

Paulinho

Roberto Firmino

Geromel

Renato Augusto

Douglas Costa

Fagner

Fernandinho

Taison

Danilo

Willian

Marcelo

Coutinho

Filipe Luis

Dani Alves misses out due to injury. Biggest surprise amongst the Brazil fans seems to be Taison getting the nod over Sociedad's Willian Jose.

Plenty of big names not taken: Alex Sandro, David Luiz, Fabinho, Allan, Naldo, Luiz Gustavo, Malcom, probably a load more. Goes to show the talent pool they have.

What do we think of the squad taken? Do you feel you're looking at the 2018 World Cup winners? I think it has enough to be right in the mix. I expect Spain, France and Germany will have more depth but if you've around 15 or so top players you've enough to win, and they have that.

Their group E contains Switzerland, Costa Rica and Serbia. Win that and they will likely play Group F runner-up Mexico, Sweden or South Korea in the next round (assuming Germany win Group F). Doesn't look the most taxing pathway to a quarter-final.

Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Major Tom

That's a fairly strong squad. Their first 11 should be strong enough to reach the latter stages, possibly even the semis. Like so many World Cups before though, I'm not sure they (a South American team) will beat one of the top European teams and European soil though.

Just heard on the radio that Joe Hart has been told he won't be part of the England World Cup squad which is officially announced tomorrow.

What do we think of the squad taken? Do you feel you're looking at the 2018 World Cup winners?
The definitely have a great chance. Some exciting players in the squad as well. The only fear would be will Neymar actually be fully fit.

Laifot

Laifot

I'd go with Brazil. They have a good TEAM and also individuals. Nice Strikers and midfielders, none of them are SUPERSTARS like Messi but they have good chances and also they have a duty of regaining the lost honour after taking a shocking loss 1-7 to Germany.

The England squad has been announced, as mentioned no place for Joe Hart and Jack Wilshire also misses out. Surprise inclusions for Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Goalkeepers​

Defenders​

Midfielders​

Forwards​

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold

Henderson

Sterling

Butland

Trippier

Dier

Vardy

Pope

Rose

Alli

Kane

Maguire

Lingard

Rashford

Jones

Young

Welbeck

Stones

Delph

Walker

Loftus-Cheek

Cahill

Doesn't really fill me with confidence that they can progress deep into the tournament. Right off, the centre of their defence looks like a weak link that could be exposed by pace.

  • Like
Reactions: Major Tom

Surprised Smalling was dropped and also 3 right backs?
Southgate had indicated a few months ago that Smalling wasn't doing enough to get selected.

Can't believe he is taking Welbeck? Must be for his England scoring displays as he has done nothing at club level.

Jason

Jason

Right off, the centre of their defence looks like a weak link that could be exposed by pace.
The fact Gary Cahill will probably be starting for England tells you all you need to know about the state of their backline.

Henderson, Delph, Dier, or whoever is protecting those CBs will need to be exemplary for them to do anything of note.

  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Astronomical fee. Either he'll eventually break Neymar's transfer fee or be a massive bust Wenger was doing an amazing job working with...
    David Ornstein at the BBC says Zaha wants out of Palace and to join Arsenal for £80m. He then says that Arsenal has £45m to spend, have...
  • Major Tom
    Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have issued a joint statement the 25% tariff proposed by the Trump administration against Chinese goods...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years