Drama The Walking Dead

Shelby

This show has been on its last legs for a few years now. Creaky dragged out storytelling, truly puzzling pacing, the pretension laid on with a trowel way too often and repetition of themes with no real arc.

The actors involved must see the writing on the wall, especially over the last two seasons. Even something like the staple character of the comics like Carl being dropped must have had the cast thinking WTF. TBH I'm surprised more haven't decided to cash in on their profile and jump before now.

When it loses Maggie and Rick it's game over. Too much audience connection has been built up with Rick especially. It's been pretty much the Rick Show with Zombies, his and his family's story and has been from day one.

For me anyway, the franchise will only survive on the FTWD show. If they don't screw that up and while it has its issues, so far the quality there has been going up while the main show's been going down.

A new promo image has surfaced from The Walking Dead Season 9 and it seems to hint at the fact the continuing story will be set in a new location. It seems like that location is Washington D.C. As you can see, the Capital Building in the background looks pretty much completely worn down by time.

The new season starts tonight (in the UK) and the first thing you'll notice is the new opening credits!

Also, sad to see that Scott Wilson who played Hershel Greene has passed away aged 76 after losing his battle with cancer.

He still stands out as probably the most completely developed character TWD has had so far. Consistently likable, and very memorable.

  • Like
Reactions: Soon

The Walking Dead
A New Beginning
Season: 9
Episode: 1
Air date: 2018-10-07

Guest stars: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Brett Butler, Lauren Cohan, Ryan Hurst
Rick and his group make a risky run into Washington, D.C. to search for artifacts they will need to build the civilization he and Carl envisioned.

Dialogue was a bit better, Daryl actually had complete sentences!

CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious

Nice little twist at the end which could bode well for the future but I'm only watching to see how it ends at this stage. The reviews I've read online do give me some hope but I'm not sure I care any more whether it improves. I just want to see a resolution.

I thought it was alright. Nowt special but a decent introduction into how things have progressed over the last 18 months. Still not sure how the show will progress once Andrew Lincoln leaves.

I thought it was a good episode.

The Negan arc should have been played out over one season, not 2 though.

I feel sorry for the new show runner she's got one hell of a mess on her hands.
New showrunner on Talking Dead making mostly all the right noises about her vision for the show going forward - not slamming the previous seasons (she's been a writer for years anyway) but definitely addressing what I've considered being a lot of the problems; they won't be solved in one episode, even though I do believe this was a soft reboot, but definitely an improvement IMHO.

You can see the difference in quality now that Kang has took over as showrunner, miles better in every aspect.

I assume Rick will die and Maggie will go to Georgie

I assume Rick will die and Maggie will go to Georgie
The Whisperers are coming this season. I think that's where we will see the demise of Rick.

  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Janey's recipe Slow Cooker Vegan Bean Chilli with Like Like.
    8 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced 450g/1lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into roughly 2cm/¾in chunks 1 yellow pepper, seeds...
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Game of Thrones theme song.
    Pretty epic.
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Pavarotti (2019).
    Excellent, will need to look out for it :)
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Sazzy's post in the thread Pavarotti (2019) with Love Love.
    Looking forward to this. Such a beautiful voice. @Gemma, one for you lovely xXx
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Geezer's post in the thread Game of Thrones theme song with Like Like.
    Get into the mood for the series finale with this awesome rendition of the Game of Thrones theme song
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread The Latest Boxing Crack.
    Tyson Fury beat Wilder in everyone except the judges eyes without particularly testing his chin. Joshua, and possibly even Whyte, would...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Gears of War 5.
    Information on The Coalition’s upcoming Gears 5 has been few and far between, but the developers have nonetheless at least been sharing...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to Slenderman's post in the thread Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City with Like Like.
    Great player and leader around the club. His career has been a little blighted by injuries but he oozes class. His goal against...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City.
    Agreed. One of the best CBs in the Premier League of his generation. Came across as a natural leader and a genuine nice guy. Very...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread What Games Have You Completed Lately.
    Horizon: Zero Dawn - great, great game, really loved the story, the world and most of the gameplay. My type of gaming experience