Drama The Walking Dead (1 Viewer)

Shelby81
Staff member

Shelby81

This show has been on its last legs for a few years now. Creaky dragged out storytelling, truly puzzling pacing, the pretension laid on with a trowel way too often and repetition of themes with no real arc.

The actors involved must see the writing on the wall, especially over the last two seasons. Even something like the staple character of the comics like Carl being dropped must have had the cast thinking WTF. TBH I'm surprised more haven't decided to cash in on their profile and jump before now.

When it loses Maggie and Rick it's game over. Too much audience connection has been built up with Rick especially. It's been pretty much the Rick Show with Zombies, his and his family's story and has been from day one.

For me anyway, the franchise will only survive on the FTWD show. If they don't screw that up and while it has its issues, so far the quality there has been going up while the main show's been going down.

A new promo image has surfaced from The Walking Dead Season 9 and it seems to hint at the fact the continuing story will be set in a new location. It seems like that location is Washington D.C. As you can see, the Capital Building in the background looks pretty much completely worn down by time.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.squarespace.com%2Fstatic%2F51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de%2Ft%2F5b3e61d26d2a7310cd60ae83%2F1530814949372%2F%3Fformat%3D1500w&hash=899c0908b740dba2532ea6693b508f8d

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.squarespace.com%2Fstatic%2F51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de%2Ft%2F5b3ea10c2b6a28dae5a82b54%2F1530831120535%2Fthe-walking-dead-season-9-banner-1120385.jpg%3Fformat%3D2500w&hash=80fad953673f8152cce7c3b8bcc7ef0f

The new season starts tonight (in the UK) and the first thing you'll notice is the new opening credits!

Also, sad to see that Scott Wilson who played Hershel Greene has passed away aged 76 after losing his battle with cancer.

He still stands out as probably the most completely developed character TWD has had so far. Consistently likable, and very memorable.

The Walking Dead
A New Beginning
Season: 9
Episode: 1
Air date: 2018-10-07

Guest stars: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Brett Butler, Lauren Cohan, Ryan Hurst
Rick and his group make a risky run into Washington, D.C. to search for artifacts they will need to build the civilization he and Carl envisioned.

Dialogue was a bit better, Daryl actually had complete sentences!

CaptainObvious
Staff member

CaptainObvious

Nice little twist at the end which could bode well for the future but I'm only watching to see how it ends at this stage. The reviews I've read online do give me some hope but I'm not sure I care any more whether it improves. I just want to see a resolution.

I thought it was alright. Nowt special but a decent introduction into how things have progressed over the last 18 months. Still not sure how the show will progress once Andrew Lincoln leaves.

I thought it was a good episode.

The Negan arc should have been played out over one season, not 2 though.

I feel sorry for the new show runner she's got one hell of a mess on her hands.
New showrunner on Talking Dead making mostly all the right noises about her vision for the show going forward - not slamming the previous seasons (she's been a writer for years anyway) but definitely addressing what I've considered being a lot of the problems; they won't be solved in one episode, even though I do believe this was a soft reboot, but definitely an improvement IMHO.

You can see the difference in quality now that Kang has took over as showrunner, miles better in every aspect.

I assume Rick will die and Maggie will go to Georgie

I assume Rick will die and Maggie will go to Georgie
The Whisperers are coming this season. I think that's where we will see the demise of Rick.