Movie Talk The Shining (Extended Cut) (1 Viewer)

Miss Scarlett

Miss Scarlett

I just noticed there is a The Shining extended edition (about 25 min extra). I saw the BluRay on sale in HMV- is it worth buying or is the original version, which I already own, better?

I saw this cut once years ago, it's worth a watch out of curiosity but I don't think it makes a better film.

It's not extended per se. It's the US theatrical cut. It wasn't well received there, and Kubrick edited it again before the European release. I have only seen it once, but I enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of the movie.

The shorter cut was Kubrick's preferred cut. It's better paced and the hotel feels more isolated. He often recut films after seeing them with an audience, destroying the original version in the process. But because The Shining got a wide release in the US it was already in distribution by the time he recut it, so he made do with international viewers getting his final cut.

    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    In the Championship, Huddersfield Town have sacked boss Jan Siewert, who led the Terriers to just one win in his seven months in charge...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Incredible goal! Not just the finish but the 1-2 on the wing and the cross in. Aduriz had only been on the pitch for 60 seconds. He's...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread Need for Speed: Heat.
    It does look stunning in fairness, and I find it looks even better when you play it as videos don't do it justice. I really want this to...