Staff member

Miss Scarlett

Jun 10, 2018
I just noticed there is a The Shining extended edition (about 25 min extra). I saw the BluRay on sale in HMV- is it worth buying or is the original version, which I already own, better?

I saw this cut once years ago, it's worth a watch out of curiosity but I don't think it makes a better film.

It's not extended per se. It's the US theatrical cut. It wasn't well received there, and Kubrick edited it again before the European release. I have only seen it once, but I enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of the movie.

The shorter cut was Kubrick's preferred cut. It's better paced and the hotel feels more isolated. He often recut films after seeing them with an audience, destroying the original version in the process. But because The Shining got a wide release in the US it was already in distribution by the time he recut it, so he made do with international viewers getting his final cut.

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)