US Sports The NFL 2018 Thread

Welcome to our online community. Feel free to sign up today. Everyone is welcome here.
Join The Conversation

Latest Posts New Threads

Talk about your favourite NFL team and players. The Off-Season. Free Agency. The Draft. The regular season, post-season and Super Bowl LIII.

Very surprised that Marquette King has been released by the Raiders. Good punter but maybe not a Gruden grinder?

Very surprised that Marquette King has been released by the Raiders. Good punter but maybe not a Gruden grinder?
That is a surprise. Would have thought that was one of the areas the team didn't need to address this off season. Certainly that is not a decision been made based on lack of on field performance because King has been a good reliable performer during his time with the Raiders.

Malcolm Butler speaks out on SI TV Under the Cover

https://nesn.com/2018/03/malcolm-bu...ably-would-have-won-super-bowl-if-hed-played/

Think the New England Patriots might have won Super Bowl LII if Malcolm Butler hadn’t been stapled to the sideline? Butler agrees. During an episode of “SI: Under the Cover” that chronicled Butler’s free agency, the now-former Patriots cornerback said he would have made a difference in New England’s 41-33 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

“I never missed a game,” Butler said. “Never missed practice or anything like that. Would we have won if I played? Probably. Maybe. I’m not sure. But I would say we were short about one or two plays, and I saw a couple plays out there I could have made.” After leading the Patriots in defensive snaps during the regular season and not leaving the field during the two preceding playoff games, Butler did not play a single snap on defense in Super Bowl LII. That proved to be his final game in a Patriots uniform, as he signed a five-year, $61 million with the Tennessee Titans one month later.

“There were times that I was on the sideline that I just wanted to go up and say to (Bill) Belichick or Matt Patricia and just say, ‘This is how we’re going to end this?’ ” said Butler, who became a Patriots legend with his game-sealing interception in Super Bowl XLIX. “I grew up in the Patriots system, and I’m a well-mannered guy. I respect my authority. I just couldn’t ask them for something they didn’t want to do. I just was doing my job. I was close to going up there and saying what I wanted to say to Matt or Belichick, but I just stayed in my lane and just did my job, man. I really wanted to go ask them, but I didn’t.”

“Under the Cover” offered a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at Butler during the six weeks between Super Bowl Sunday and the day he signed with the Titans. Some other highlights:

— Butler said he had hoped to finish his career with the Patriots, but that he did not want to play for a team that did not want him.

“I wanted to go out like Kobe Bryant,” he said. “Now, I might not be Kobe Bryant or never be Kobe Bryant, but I always told myself that I always wanted to finish my career on one team and just go out like that. But no one wants to be somewhere where they’re not wanted.”

— The documentary showed a phone call between Butler and running back Dion Lewis, whom the cornerback sought out for advice as both navigated through free agency.

“I’m in a similar boat right now,” said Lewis, who enjoyed a career year for the Patriots in 2017. “… I thought it would be a lot easier.” Both players wound up signing with Tennessee, where they’ll rejoin ex-Patriots teammate Logan Ryan. — According to Butler’s agent, Derek Simpson, the Titans, Chicago Bears, New Orleans Saints, Houston Texans and Detroit Lions showed the most interest in Butler. Chicago made a contract offer of three years, $30 million, and the Texans were interested in offering him a one-year deal. “That’s a trial contract,” said Butler, who played on a one-year, $3.91 million tender in 2017. The Titans initially offered Butler a five-year contract worth $11 million per year before returning with a five-year, $61 million offer that he gladly accepted.

“Most people know me for Super Bowl XLIX and, of course, Super Bowl LII,” Butler said. “What will I be known for next? A great Tennessee Titan player. … You’ll see a better Malcolm Butler on and off the field.”

Although there's been some chatter that the Patriots might try to trade away Rob Gronkowski, the team pulled off a huge deal on Tuesday that didn't involve their star tight end.

According to ESPN.com, the Patriots have agreed to a deal with the Rams that will send Brandin Cooks and a fourth-round pick to Los Angeles. In exchange, New England will receive a sixth-round pick and the 23rd overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

The deal means that the Patriots now have two first-rounders to work with in the draft. Before the trade went down, the Patriots already had the 31st overall pick, and now they'll be adding the 23rd overall pick to their arsenal. The Patriots also have two second-round picks, which means New England will be holding four of the top 63 picks when the NFL Draft kicks off on April 26.

Denver Broncos sign punter Marquette King to a three-year deal after he was cut by the Raiders.

RGIII to the Ravens on a one year deal! I didn’t see this coming.

Chances of RGIII starting a game next year?
Zero I’d say. Though you’ll find plenty of fans frustrated with Flacco I can’t see him being benched.
Denver Broncos sign punter Marquette King to a three-year deal after he was cut by the Raiders.
Looks like Marquette King gave the Broncos a big discount just so he could stick it to Gruden and the Raiders. Good signing for Denver.

On the Brandin Cooks deal, for a one year deal it was sensational work by the Patriots.

Last year they gave up 31st pick overall to get him and paid him $780k for the year. Now they've got back the 23rd pick overall for him.

The Patriots have also signed ex-Eagles and Bills WR Jordan Matthews to a one-year contract