Football Summer Transfer 2018/19 Thread

Welcome to our online community. Feel free to sign up today. Everyone is welcome here.

Administrator
Ah, the smell of cut grass and the sound bees hovering it can only mean the domestic season is nearly over and the real business of player transfer speculation can begin :)

The World Cup will leave some clubs desperate to get business done before while the market gets distorted by some players having eye catching tournaments (but actually not being that good) and the pre-season starting only a few weeks later.

Liverpool are cash rich having a net spend (yes!) of about £6m since Klopp arrived, with Champions League riches and the Coutinho money burning a hole so it could be a very big summer without worrying the FFP boys.

According to the Twitter machine at the moment Liverpool are interested in Nabil Fekir, Jorginho, Ousame Dembele, Pulisic and Allison.

But clearly not all, maybe any would be signed or that would be the most attacking side in history!

Let the transfer rumours begin.............

Birdman

Member
Member
"Manchester City have made their first official contact with Napoli for Jorginho (26) but have been put off by the €60m asking price. A considerable distance remains between the two clubs over a fee." Di Marzio.

Boozy

Well-known member
Donator
€60m would be a bargain price for Jorginho.

Birdman

Member
Member
"A source close to Robert Lewandowski has told ESPN FC he is unhappy with his lack of game time at Bayern Munich"

If there's any truth in that there'll be a scramble to sign him.

Major Tom

Administrator
If there's any truth in that there'll be a scramble to sign him.
Doubt Real Madrid will be in that scramble after he flopped his audition. Funny how he complains about playing too much and then not enough.

SteveO

Active member
Member
If Liverpool get Jorginho I think they'll challenge strongly for the title next year.

Dembele rumours are easy to write because he was with Dortmund. I don't think he'll be leaving Barcelona though.

"A source close to Robert Lewandowski has told ESPN FC he is unhappy with his lack of game time at Bayern Munich"
That's rubbish. He's first choice striker and the only times he didn't play was when he was rested before the CL games. He wants out, but it's got nothing to do with game time.

Major Tom

Administrator
If Liverpool get Jorginho I think they'll challenge strongly for the title next year.
Not a chance they will challenge without signing a top class keeper.

"Chelsea will sell Morata to Juventus for €62 million."

A crap season and they'll pretty much get their money back..wow.

Zidane

Member
Member
Its worth remembering the transfer window now opens in England on May 17th and closes on August 9th - a vote was taken and passed to end it before the opening game day of the new season. The window must be 12 weeks long hence the early start date.

A crap season and they'll pretty much get their money back..wow.
He's a lot better than what he's shown at Chelsea and was successful at Juventus before. Good move for both really.

Major Tom

Administrator
Its worth remembering the transfer window now opens in England on May 17th and closes on August 9th - a vote was taken and passed to end it before the opening game day of the new season. The window must be 12 weeks long hence the early start date.
Why does it have to be 12 weeks? Is it to give a fair time to conclude deals (that definitely don't start outside the windows)?

Zidane

Member
Member
Why does it have to be 12 weeks? Is it to give a fair time to conclude deals (that definitely don't start outside the windows)?
Compromise between the EU and FIFA about a decade ago.

FIFA and the associations would like it as short as possible, whilst EU workers rights rules mean it should be open 365 days. But the EU accepted that there were sporting integrity reasons to have it closed for large parts of the year so came up with the a 16 week compromise, 4 weeks during the season and the rest off season.

Worth pointing out that the Spanish/Italian etc leagues are still using the previous dates this year, so can still sign players from English clubs after the window has shut for English clubs to sign players.

Franco Pinion

Active member
Member

Pochettino wants his wages doubled and £100 million transfer kitty on top of any money from player sales.

Sky sources: Chelsea wants Pochettino as the replacement for Conte.

Birdman

Member
Member
Surely he wouldn’t move to Chelsea, though it would be interesting to see how he gets on with more resources.
See no reason he wouldn't move to Chelsea, I doubt his few seasons at Spurs would prevent a move to them.

A bigger budget and a step up in expectations, be very interested to see how he performed.

I still think his next destination will be Real Madrid.

I don't see Pochettino leaving this year, but if he does, Spurs can kiss any chance of keeping their top players. I suspect his departure would be swiftly followed by transfer requests by several of the team.

I think Levy will open the wallet though, and give him want he wants. Strengthen the squad and a new stadium to move into.....why would he leave?

Franco Pinion

Active member
Member
I have a feeling Harry Kane will be the big transfer story/saga this summer

Geezer

Active member
Member
I have a feeling Harry Kane will be the big transfer story/saga this summer
Not a chance. More likely Dele Alli will leave Spurs this summer before Kane I would think myself.

Dylan

Well-known member
Donator
Why not? Real Madrid need a goalscorer as Ronaldo's impact starts to reduce, they are the most obvious candidate. If they come in big, it's hard to imagine Levy wouldn't consider it.

But I think it depends on Kane himself. Not sure he'd agitate for a move...

Geezer

Active member
Member
But I think it depends on Kane himself. Not sure he'd agitate for a move...
That is it exactly, bottom line is Harry does not want to go anywhere yet. He wants to lead Spurs out at the new stadium. I would be extremely shocked if he did not start next season in a Spurs shirt.

Franco Pinion

Active member
Member

I think he'd be an excellent signing. Was hugely impressive at Nice last season and I had him in my team of the season. He played well against the big sides. Don't watch Portuguese football but from what I gather he's been just as good at Porto.

L'Equipe are reporting that PSG are very interested in Lazio's Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. He's been linked with Juventus and Man United as well. I feel he fits the profile of someone Mourinho would love to have. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Not a chance. More likely Dele Alli will leave Spurs this summer before Kane I would think myself.
Real Madrid always go big after the World Cup. It could be Salah, it could be Kane. If Real Madrid really want them, they'll take them.