Playstation/Sony Sony CEO Confirms Next-Gen Hardware In Development

With the PlayStation 4 on pace to be one of the most successful consoles of all time, it was inevitable a successor would be in the works. Sony president and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida spoke with the Financial Times about the future of PlayStation. “At this point, what I can say is it’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware,” Yoshida mentioned during the discussion. He did, however, decline to name the future hardware “PlayStation 5”.

In addition to that, The Financial Times reported that:
People in the games publishing industry with knowledge of Sony’s plans for a future console said that early indications were that it might not represent a major departure from the PS4, and that the fundamental architecture would be similar.
This could represent that Sony wants it to be as easy for developers to make games on future hardware as it is now unlike when they switched to a cell processor for the PlayStation 3 era. Along with this, this does inflate the rumor that the next console will have backwards compatibility as a recently surfaced patent could suggest.

We have known for a while next generation was just over the horizon. At E3, Microsoft’s Phil Spencer casually mentioned new hardware was in the works, rumoured to be codenamed Scarlett, and Todd Howard of Bethesda called Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI next-gen games. Last week, rumours started to surface that Nintendo plans to release a new model of the Switch next year. First real speculation on Sony’s foray into future consoles came when PlayStation’s Shawn Layden announced there would be no PlayStation Experience this year citing, “we wouldn’t have enough to bring people all together” All of this along with Yoshida’s comments may indicate that the next generation is closer than we thought.

It comes as no surprise that Sony would be developing hardware for the future. With their massive resurgence this generation and fantastic offerings from Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) first party studios, Sony is in a prime position for the next generation of PlayStation.

A job listing on LinkedIn has revealed that PlayStation is looking to hire a senior product manager to “own the roadmap for next generation PlayStation campaign.”

Posted on October 14, and picked up by TheRaidenPT on ResetEra, the job’s responsibilities and requirements are otherwise fairly average. Based in San Francisco, the focus would be on creating and executing the roadmap for this campaign.

This presumably means that work is ongoing at PlayStation for its next console’s release, although, given the scale of an endeavour and how far ahead it would be planned, it’s not entirely surprising.

Another user on ResetEra, Gemüsepizza, also found a separate job that also alluded to the next generation. It advertised a senior software engineer role where a goal is “developing platforms that enable delivering intelligent experiences to next generation of PlayStation devices.”

The rest of the ResetEra thread consists of speculation on the exact release of PlayStation’s “next generation,” but these job advertisements imply that work is building up towards this release, whenever it might be.

The slow rise of rumours surrounding a PS5, from a claim that development kits are out there in the world and hopeful guesses at an E3 2019 appearance, means it’s becoming more of a talking point.

Another update this morning, Sony now says it has fixed the viral messaging exploit that was sending PS4 consoles into a never-ending crash loop.

Yesterday Sony said that a fix was coming in a system software update, but the PlayStation support account now says the issue has already been resolved.

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)