Adventure Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Title: Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Family, Science Fiction

Director: Ron Howard

Cast: Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Thandie Newton, Joonas Suotamo, Ian Kenny, Warwick Davis, Clint Howard, Spencer Wilding, Paul Bettany, Jon Kasdan, Toby Hefferman, Richard Dixon, Deepak Anand, Jon Favreau

Release: 2018-05-23

Plot: Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian.

I saw a trailer for this for the first time today. It looks like it could be a lot of fun

I dunno, it looks fine but I definitely don't feel any more enthused about Ehrenreich's performance - based on those small snippets it feels terribly flat, and it's arguably worrying that the bulk of the trailers have featured everyone else EXCEPT the titular character. Donald Glover looks & sounds the business though; his casting always felt like a stroke of genius.

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

Great trailer, I've got a really good feeling about this film now.

I enjoyed it, very light in deep meaning compared to others but then its a smugglers story, Lando was really good, Han was good, the falcon scenes were great. How Han and Chewbacca met was a bit cheesy but on the whole it was an entertaining watch.

Watched it for the second time yesterday, first time for the kids (under 12), and they loved it. In fact, one of them said it was his favourite Star Wars movie so far. They have no interest in the originals, too slow and dated I suppose, and they have no interest in seeing the prequels (though I reckon they'll like Phantom Menace). So, "their" Star Wars is Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rogue One, all of which they loved, and now Solo.

It's interesting to see it from that point of view. Mrs Boozy also enjoyed it, far more than she thought she would.

I enjoyed it the first time but I did enjoy it much more the second time. The set pieces were good, and I knew what to expect. Alden Ehrenreich was more palatable as Han Solo, and the humour was pretty good (would've liked more though).

Watched it today, an easy watch, myself and the missus thought it was alright, they like their amusing droids in the Story films too don't they, but L3 was good, if short lived. Emilia Clarke was wooden, Paul Bettany underused and the story was a bit clunky but we still enjoyed it.

Gave this a re-watch last night thinking it might be better than what I thought of it after first viewing. Its grown on me a bit and is nowhere as bad as I initially thought it was.

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)