Serena Williams Meltdown In US Open Final Defeat (1 Viewer)

Some Random Guy
Staff member

Some Random Guy

Naomi Osaka is the US Open champion. Japan's first Grand Slam winner.

But that is only half the story.

This match will be remembered for Serena Williams' outbursts. She was given a violation for coaching, racquet abuse and verbal abuse to the umpire. She was docked a point and a game. She called the umpire a "thief".

Here's a summary of what happened between Serena Williams and the umpire during the match.
  • First Serena Williams was given a code violation for coaching when her coach Patrick Mouratoglou appeared to make a gesture to her.
  • Serena argued with the umpire saying "I don't cheat" and then the game resumed.
  • A few games later Serena Williams smashed her racquet after losing a game. She was given a violation. This one meant Osaka was awarded a point.
  • Serena then argued with the umpire again. She said "you owe me an apology" among other things.
  • Serena argued again and called umpire Carlos Ramos a "thief".
  • As a result, Ramos gave Serena another violation for verbal abuse. This meant Osaka was awarded a game.
  • Serena then called for the tournament referee and was crying on the court.
  • No further action was taken by the referee and two games later Osaka sealed the win.
Well done Naomi Osaka, she was excellent. Only 20, could easily have lost her composure. Unfortunately, Williams meltdown and behaviour will be the main story from the match. And the disgraceful crowd booing afterwards.

Shelby81
Staff member

Shelby81