Serena Williams Meltdown In US Open Final Defeat (1 Viewer)

Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Naomi Osaka is the US Open champion. Japan's first Grand Slam winner.

But that is only half the story.

This match will be remembered for Serena Williams' outbursts. She was given a violation for coaching, racquet abuse and verbal abuse to the umpire. She was docked a point and a game. She called the umpire a "thief".

Here's a summary of what happened between Serena Williams and the umpire during the match.
  • First Serena Williams was given a code violation for coaching when her coach Patrick Mouratoglou appeared to make a gesture to her.
  • Serena argued with the umpire saying "I don't cheat" and then the game resumed.
  • A few games later Serena Williams smashed her racquet after losing a game. She was given a violation. This one meant Osaka was awarded a point.
  • Serena then argued with the umpire again. She said "you owe me an apology" among other things.
  • Serena argued again and called umpire Carlos Ramos a "thief".
  • As a result, Ramos gave Serena another violation for verbal abuse. This meant Osaka was awarded a game.
  • Serena then called for the tournament referee and was crying on the court.
  • No further action was taken by the referee and two games later Osaka sealed the win.
Well done Naomi Osaka, she was excellent. Only 20, could easily have lost her composure. Unfortunately, Williams meltdown and behaviour will be the main story from the match. And the disgraceful crowd booing afterwards.

Well done Naomi Osaka, she was excellent. Only 20, could easily have lost her composure. Unfortunately, Williams meltdown and behaviour will be the main story from the match. And the disgraceful crowd booing afterwards.
Yep, but it was caused by Osaka's great play. She'll blame the umpire, but the fact is that her coach signalling her was because Osaka was beating her, the breaking of the racket was because Osaka was too strong for her, and her disrespect to the umpire was because she had no answers to Osaka and needed someone to blame and vent at.

Outrageous carry on from Serena Williams. She should be ashamed of herself but she won't be.

Shelby

Shelby

Shocking behaviour from the crowd booing. The crowd showed an absolute and utter lack of any respect, class or decency.

Serena trying to push the sexism angle too is pathetic. She really should be embarrassed with her behaviour.

Serena Williams has been fined a total of $17,000 for three code violations during the U.S. Open final...

The tournament referee's office docked Williams $10,000 for "verbal abuse" of chair umpire Carlos Ramos, $4,000 for being warned for coaching, and $3,000 for breaking her racket. The money comes out of her prize money of $1.85 million as the runner-up.
All the talk should be about the great win for Osaka.

  • Like
Reactions: Aimie

Tantrum is a fairly accurate description of her behaviour by all accounts.

    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    In the Championship, Huddersfield Town have sacked boss Jan Siewert, who led the Terriers to just one win in his seven months in charge...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Incredible goal! Not just the finish but the 1-2 on the wing and the cross in. Aduriz had only been on the pitch for 60 seconds. He's...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread Need for Speed: Heat.
    It does look stunning in fairness, and I find it looks even better when you play it as videos don't do it justice. I really want this to...