Scottish Parliament Rejects Brexit

The Scottish parliament has voted against Theresa May’s Brexit legislation by a large margin, putting the UK on the brink of a major constitutional dispute.

This was always going to happen. Let's be honest, the SNP would reject everything and anything that comes from Westminster. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

While it's another headache for Theresa May, in practice it's of little consequence.

This can be overridden by Westminster and it will be. Scotland may have a devolved parliament but is still part of the UK and subject to UK laws.

This can be overridden by Westminster and it will be. Scotland may have a devolved parliament but is still part of the UK and subject to UK laws.
Yes but the problem there is that the SNP have already been agitating for a second independence referendum over the whole Brexit fiasco and simply railroading May's failing Brexit agenda through without getting their agreement is exactly the kind of political bomb that would create the conditions for another attempted breakup of the UK.

Well its symbolic but probably nothing else.

They are effectively forcing Westminster for the first time in 19 years to officially overrule the devolved government in Edinburgh. Which they can legally do.

So it's only symbolic. But also pretty historic. And it does give the SNP ammo for another independence battle cry further down the road.

Connie

Connie

I agree with what Dylan says, it is symbolic but nothing more.

I doubt another independence vote would pass despite all that has happened. Unionism is stronger in Scotland than people here think - the only people that fail to see that are the SNP.

Zidane

Zidane

We've already been told that Brexit means Brexit. We’re leaving the EU next year come hell or high water - it’s time to unite and stop the arguing for the good of the country. All parties need to heed to that advice.

  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Astronomical fee. Either he'll eventually break Neymar's transfer fee or be a massive bust Wenger was doing an amazing job working with...
    David Ornstein at the BBC says Zaha wants out of Palace and to join Arsenal for £80m. He then says that Arsenal has £45m to spend, have...
  • Major Tom
    Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have issued a joint statement the 25% tariff proposed by the Trump administration against Chinese goods...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years