Scottish Parliament Rejects Brexit

The Scottish parliament has voted against Theresa May’s Brexit legislation by a large margin, putting the UK on the brink of a major constitutional dispute.

This was always going to happen. Let's be honest, the SNP would reject everything and anything that comes from Westminster. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

While it's another headache for Theresa May, in practice it's of little consequence.

This can be overridden by Westminster and it will be. Scotland may have a devolved parliament but is still part of the UK and subject to UK laws.

This can be overridden by Westminster and it will be. Scotland may have a devolved parliament but is still part of the UK and subject to UK laws.
Yes but the problem there is that the SNP have already been agitating for a second independence referendum over the whole Brexit fiasco and simply railroading May's failing Brexit agenda through without getting their agreement is exactly the kind of political bomb that would create the conditions for another attempted breakup of the UK.

Well its symbolic but probably nothing else.

They are effectively forcing Westminster for the first time in 19 years to officially overrule the devolved government in Edinburgh. Which they can legally do.

So it's only symbolic. But also pretty historic. And it does give the SNP ammo for another independence battle cry further down the road.

Connie
Staff member

Connie

I agree with what Dylan says, it is symbolic but nothing more.

I doubt another independence vote would pass despite all that has happened. Unionism is stronger in Scotland than people here think - the only people that fail to see that are the SNP.

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

We've already been told that Brexit means Brexit. We’re leaving the EU next year come hell or high water - it’s time to unite and stop the arguing for the good of the country. All parties need to heed to that advice.