ozzy47
Staff member

ozzy47

R. Lee Ermey, a former Marine Corps drill instructor known to millions of moviegoers as the sadistic Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket," died Sunday morning, according to his longtime manager. He was 74.

Dylan
Staff member Staff member Staff member

He was great in Frighteners too. RIP.

Boozy
Staff member Staff member Staff member

Sad news. I absolutely love the opening scenes of Full Metal Jacket. The finest non rehearsed non scripted monologue ever. RIP.

Zidane
Staff member Staff member

Zidane

Sad news. I absolutely love the opening scenes of Full Metal Jacket. The finest non rehearsed non scripted monologue ever. RIP.
The story goes that he was only there as a consultant but when Stanley Kubrick saw his performance in the warm up he was given the role.

That voice, you’d instinctively start standing a little straighter if he was talking to you..... I know I’d certainly would!

The story goes that he was only there as a consultant but when Stanley Kubrick saw his performance in the warm up he was given the role.
He wasn't deemed "scary" enough to be considered for the role at first. Then after a few hours of him shouting insults at the actors, Kubrick changed his mind and gave him the role.