Playstation/Sony PS4 Users Warned To Set Messages To Private After Exploit Discovered (1 Viewer)

PlayStation 4 users are being warned to set their messages to private due to an exploit making the rounds.

PS4 users are warning others that a private message being sent contains characters, that when viewed, force players to factory reset their consoles in order to get it working again.

And it’s not just opening of the message that does it: just receiving the notification can be enough to force a reset “depending on how much of the message it parses.”

According to various reddit users, even deleting the message from the mobile app doesn’t work. One user had it happen while playing Rainbow Six: Siege.

“A player from the other team used a dummy account to send the message and crashed my entire team,” said reddit user Huntstark. “We all have had to factory reset. Only one of our guys wasn’t affected and he has his messages private.”

According to user BorgDrone, basically, someone can ‘brick’ another’s PS4 just by using “a message designed to exploit a mistake in the code.”

Sony hasn’t issued a warning as of press time, but just to be safe, SET YOUR MESSAGES TO PRIVATE on your PS4 for now.

Here is how to set messages to private in case you don’t know how, courtesy of Gunrun:

Go to Settings > Account Management > Privacy Settings > Enter your password > Personal Info | Messaging, and set Messages to either Friends (if you trust them) or No One.

He goes on to explain how this works in technical terms on the reddit thread.

If you're worried about this happening to you or someone you know, you can take steps to prevent it.
  1. Go to Settings on the main PS4 menu
  2. Go to Account Management
  3. Go to Privacy Settings
  4. Go to Personal Info | Messaging
  5. Go to Messages
  6. Set it to either Friends Only or No One to ensure that strangers can't message you
Not heard anything from Sony to confirm this yet though.

Sony has finally said it is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. “We are aware of the situation and are planning a system software update to resolve this problem,”

For now, the best way to protect yourself is to set your messages to private by following the steps listed in the posts above.

    Bandit replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Could be true! Newcastle United have signed striker Joelinton from Hoffenheim for a club record £40m fee on a six-year deal. The...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister.
    It's a sad indictment on the state of British Politics when nobody is pulling our new Prime Minister up on this;
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Major Tom's post in the thread Pickem/Survivor - 2019 Seasons with Like Like.
    The NFL Pickem and Survivor pools are now open, the first week schedule is available for the Pickem game with Survivor week 1 selection...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    The latest OBJ comments are no doubt gonna stir things up among Giants fans such as myself. I get he feels disrespected (if everything...
  • Aimie
    Aimie replied to the thread Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister.
    Doesn't look great for BoJo regarding Brexit.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Star Trek: Picard.
    I'm betting that's a captured Borg cube! Janeway and the Borg hunters been busy!
    • attachment.jpg
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (Ubisoft).
    The first free episode of The Division 2 has been released for Year 1 Pass holders, as part of title update 5, and takes agents into...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread Xbox LIVE Deals with Like Like.
    Exactly the same for me. I've been keeping an eye out for a sale on Nier: Automata, but I know if I buy it it'll hit Game Pass soon...
    Microsoft has announced this week's Deals With Gold for Xbox Live Gold members. These deals run through July 30 Xbox One Deals...
    I don't think Bale to Bayern is too likely; it's not the kind of move they tend to make. Age, injuries, wages, etc - it just doesn't...