Football Premier League Clubs Reject Introducing VAR in 2018/19 (1 Viewer)

Premier League clubs have rejected the introduction of video technology into the world’s richest league next season.

As expected, the 20 top-flight teams decided to continue what was described as “advanced testing” of video assistant referees during the 2018-19 campaign.

They instead approved the expansion of non-live trials, first revealed by the Daily Telegraph, to include entire rounds of matches, as well as seeking for VAR to be used more extensively in next season’s FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

The Premier League said in a statement: “The decision came after comprehensive discussions regarding the progress made in VAR trials in English football, and key learnings from the many competitions using it elsewhere.

“The clubs recognised and are grateful for the substantial developments made by PGMOL [Professional Game Match Officials Ltd) managing director Mike Riley and his team.

“The clubs agreed that advanced testing will continue to the end of season 2018-19 to make further improvements to the system, especially around communication inside the stadium and for those following at home and around the world.

“The Premier League will also be asking for VAR to be used more extensively in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup in season 2018/19.”

Ahead of their quarterly shareholders’ meeting on Friday, clubs were anticipating that not enough of them would vote in favour of VAR in a ballot that required a two-thirds majority.

The Premier League executive made no recommendation to club executives on what decision to take.

Several of those executives were publicly opposed to VAR coming into the competition next season after witnessing live trials in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup which have been dogged by controversy.

Some also wanted to wait until after the World Cup before reaching a decision, with Fifa having voted to make it the first major competition to use video technology following its inclusion in the Laws of the Game.
They need to streamline it or at the very least, make their intentions of using it known to the fans in the stadium but I hope its brought in soon enough.

I've never understood the opposition to VAR to be honest. Remember what it was like before goal-line technology came in? Some of the mistakes made were an embarrassment to the game. Now its accepted without question. VAR isn't there to obtain perfection, merely as an aid for officials to reduce errors as much as is possible.

There are decisions in every game that just can't be made (correctly) by a ref on the pitch. No matter how good he is. VAR needs to be implemented sooner rather than later.

VAR proponents always mistakenly cite goal line technology as evidence of VAR's efficacy, ignoring the fact that goal line technology gives a binary YES/NO decision to the referee in real time - whereas VAR does anything but.

Not only does VAR in its current guise require off-site, delayed, human (ie open to error) interpretation, it is really not required in order to enjoy the spectacle of a flowing sporting contest.

Let the referee and assistants do their job and if they get the odd decision wrong, so be it. What we stand to gain from the odd corrected decision, we lose double in terms of the enjoyment of the spectacle of the flowing game of football.

You don't need to be a luddite to detest VAR, just a lover of the game of football.

VAR proponents always mistakenly cite goal line technology as evidence of VAR's efficacy, ignoring the fact that goal line technology gives a binary YES/NO decision to the referee in real time - whereas VAR does anything but.

Not only does VAR in its current guise require off-site, delayed, human (ie open to error) interpretation, it is really not required in order to enjoy the spectacle of a flowing sporting contest.

Let the referee and assistants do their job and if they get the odd decision wrong, so be it. What we stand to gain from the odd corrected decision, we lose double in terms of the enjoyment of the spectacle of the flowing game of football.

You don't need to be a luddite to detest VAR, just a lover of the game of football.
Interrupting the flow of a game isn't an issue when using VAR to check an offside call after a possible goal. There's a natural pause in the game before a restart. Most offside decisions can be resolved pretty quickly IMO.

Interrupting the flow of a game isn't an issue when using VAR to check an offside call after a possible goal. There's a natural pause in the game before a restart. Most offside decisions can be resolved pretty quickly IMO.
Yes but as soon as you allow VAR for offside decisions (which VAR STILL got wrong after a ridiculous delay in the FA Cup), you open the door for scope creep in terms of it's usage.

It's not required, we don't need to pimp our game with a shiny new gadget. A football match can be a wondrous spectacle, I hope that never changes.