Piper Alpha (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter David76

It will be 30 years ago this Friday since the Piper Alpha disaster.

A memorial service will be held at 19:00 hrs at the Piper Alpha Memorial Garden, Hazlehead Park, Aberdeen. The service is being streamed over the UK Oil and Gas Chaplaincy Facebook page and accessible to all who wish to partake in it.

The order of service is:
  • Bon Accord Silver Band starts playing at 18.30 hrs.
  • Rev Craig will begin proceedings at 19:00 hrs.
  • Industry representatives will begin the roll-call of those (167 people) who lost their lives.
  • A lone piper will play a lament followed by a minute’s silence.
  • Wreaths will then be laid by the Lord Provost on behalf of the City of Aberdeen, Oil & Gas UK Chief Executive Deirdre Michie on behalf of the industry, and Steve Rae one of the trustees from the Pound for Piper Trust which provides funding to help the city council maintain the North Sea Memorial Garden.
  • Families, friends, colleagues and well-wishers will then have the opportunity to lay flowers or wreaths.
The (still) largest ever loss of life in an offshore incident gave rise to the Cullen Report, which "left no stone unturned" and resulted in massive changes in the way the industry regarded Health and Safety

  • Like
Reactions: Gromit
Gromit

Gromit

My dad worked on Piper Alpha, fortunately not that night though. I think it put him off going back on the rigs again iirc.

    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    In the Championship, Huddersfield Town have sacked boss Jan Siewert, who led the Terriers to just one win in his seven months in charge...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Incredible goal! Not just the finish but the 1-2 on the wing and the cross in. Aduriz had only been on the pitch for 60 seconds. He's...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread Need for Speed: Heat.
    It does look stunning in fairness, and I find it looks even better when you play it as videos don't do it justice. I really want this to...