Overweight Dog, Any Food Recommedations? (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter Connie
  • ( Start date , 9 Replies)

  • Tags
    dogs
Connie
Staff member

Connie

Had my dog at the vet for a second time. She's a medium-sized dog that has put on weight, despite me measuring her food and giving her the reduced amount of 175g.

Any suggestions of a good quality reasonably priced dried food that would help? The vet wants me to try their metabolic range but said it’s pricey. Said I’d give it another month before deciding. Thanks

What breed and what weight is she currently? Also what brand is she currently eating?

Food most likely needs to be reduced further. Vets often will push people to buy what's on their shelves. Assuming as it's only a weight issue and not health issue related, I wouldn't think food needs to be changed altogether, just the amount given.

Reactions: Connie

It’s not really about the food more portion sizes, treats and exercise levels...what is your dog currently fed?

What breed and age?

Reactions: Connie
Connie
Staff member

Connie

what is your dog currently fed?

What breed and age?
What breed and what weight is she currently? Also what brand is she currently eating?
Apologies, I should have given more information, she’s a 4-year-old Staffy / Shih Tzu Cross, she currently weighs 13kg and vet said she should be 10kg, but when I questioned that she was never that weight when fully grown, she looked back at her records and said she should be 12kg.

She’s walked every day and goes running at least once a week with my other half for about 5k so she gets plenty of exercises.

I’m feeding her Burgess Sensitive Complete Dog Food and she gets no treats now.

Reactions: Gemma

I had a weight problem with my Jack Russell. He was 10kg. He was put on the Royal Canin low-fat food but wouldn't eat it. So tried their weight control dry food instead and loves that. So now it's a smaller portion of wet food with the weight control dry food, he's under 8kg now. Always had the same amount of exercise. I went with what the vet advised.

Reactions: Connie

So is your vet basing their concerns on the dog's weight, rather than feel?

If you lay your hand flat, palm down, run your fingers of your other hand over the knuckles. That's how your dog's ribs should feel, with a slight covering of fat. Now clench your fist, and run your fingers over your knuckles again, that's an underweight dog. Turn your hand over and run your fingers over the underneath of your knuckles, that's an overweight dog's ribs. A lot of people get fixated on weight rather than feel, but, especially with a crossbreed, who knows what the correct weight is?

What do the feeding guidelines on the food say a 12kg dog should be on?

Reactions: Connie
Connie
Staff member

Connie

Thanks for all the replies, the vet is basing it on her weight and the fact that her ribs are not easily felt by her.

The guidelines for the food I’m feeding her are 200g to 350g for a medium dog based on weight of 10-15kg so I’m feeding her within those guidelines.

I’ll try changing to one of the other foods mentioned and see how we get on.

Reactions: Gemma

Had my dog at the vet for a second time. She's a medium-sized dog that has put on weight, despite me measuring her food and giving her the reduced amount of 175g.
From my experience 175g would be way over how much a dog who should be between 10kg and 12kg should get. I've seen plenty of larger dogs which are ghetting that amount - labradors, rottweilers etc.

My two boxers weigh around 9.5kg-10kg and they eat 120g (Acana) dry food twice daily, and they lean towards the perfect-to-a-tiny-bit-chubby side of things.
Thanks for all the replies, the vet is basing it on her weight and the fact that her ribs are not easily felt by her.
In order to assess a dog's weight, you should be able to feel your dog's ribs without having to dig in. If you can't feel your dog's ribs, they need to lose some weight.

Reactions: Connie
Connie
Staff member

Connie

Which Acana food do you use @Gemma?

  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's comment on blog entry Just Live with Like.
    I dreaded turning 30. Turned out to be one of the best years of my life so far. You're doing great babe, you are an inspiration! xxx
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Hi Everyone.
    Welcome, lovely. Great having you here :D
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's post in the thread Hi Everyone with Love.
    Hi everyone. Just got an invitation to join up from Gemma. Looks great. Looking forward to chatting away.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Last Site You Visited?.
    Audible. Looking for a new audio book.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    No shocks in the fifth round with just the Man United versus Chelsea tie to be played. It would be good to see a "smaller" club like...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Science Fiction The Orville.
    I actually enjoy this more than Star Trek Discovery. Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Could backfire then but I guess the Cowboys took the same risk keeping Ezekiel Elliott about the place for so long.
  • Birdman
    Birdman reacted to SteveO's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like.
    Read earlier that no punishment has been decided as yet but he is likely to serve a ban.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread The Umbrella Academy.
    Looks intriguing and equally messed up. It was released on Netflix on Friday morning (10 episodes).
  • SteveO
    SteveO posted the thread The Umbrella Academy in ON THE BOX.
    Title: The Umbrella Academy Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy Creator: Steve Blackman Cast: Ellen Page, Tom Hopper...