Overweight Dog, Any Food Recommedations?

  • Created By Thread starter Connie
  • ( Start date , 9 Replies)

  • Tags
    dogs
Connie

Connie

Had my dog at the vet for a second time. She's a medium-sized dog that has put on weight, despite me measuring her food and giving her the reduced amount of 175g.

Any suggestions of a good quality reasonably priced dried food that would help? The vet wants me to try their metabolic range but said it’s pricey. Said I’d give it another month before deciding. Thanks

Had my dog at the vet for a second time. She's a medium-sized dog that has put on weight, despite me measuring her food and giving her the reduced amount of 175g.
From my experience 175g would be way over how much a dog who should be between 10kg and 12kg should get. I've seen plenty of larger dogs which are ghetting that amount - labradors, rottweilers etc.

My two boxers weigh around 9.5kg-10kg and they eat 120g (Acana) dry food twice daily, and they lean towards the perfect-to-a-tiny-bit-chubby side of things.
Thanks for all the replies, the vet is basing it on her weight and the fact that her ribs are not easily felt by her.
In order to assess a dog's weight, you should be able to feel your dog's ribs without having to dig in. If you can't feel your dog's ribs, they need to lose some weight.

  • Like
Reactions: Connie

What breed and what weight is she currently? Also what brand is she currently eating?

Food most likely needs to be reduced further. Vets often will push people to buy what's on their shelves. Assuming as it's only a weight issue and not health issue related, I wouldn't think food needs to be changed altogether, just the amount given.

  • Like
Reactions: Connie

It’s not really about the food more portion sizes, treats and exercise levels...what is your dog currently fed?

What breed and age?

  • Like
Reactions: Connie
Connie

Connie

what is your dog currently fed?

What breed and age?
What breed and what weight is she currently? Also what brand is she currently eating?
Apologies, I should have given more information, she’s a 4-year-old Staffy / Shih Tzu Cross, she currently weighs 13kg and vet said she should be 10kg, but when I questioned that she was never that weight when fully grown, she looked back at her records and said she should be 12kg.

She’s walked every day and goes running at least once a week with my other half for about 5k so she gets plenty of exercises.

I’m feeding her Burgess Sensitive Complete Dog Food and she gets no treats now.

  • Like
Reactions: Gemma

I had a weight problem with my Jack Russell. He was 10kg. He was put on the Royal Canin low-fat food but wouldn't eat it. So tried their weight control dry food instead and loves that. So now it's a smaller portion of wet food with the weight control dry food, he's under 8kg now. Always had the same amount of exercise. I went with what the vet advised.

  • Like
Reactions: Connie

So is your vet basing their concerns on the dog's weight, rather than feel?

If you lay your hand flat, palm down, run your fingers of your other hand over the knuckles. That's how your dog's ribs should feel, with a slight covering of fat. Now clench your fist, and run your fingers over your knuckles again, that's an underweight dog. Turn your hand over and run your fingers over the underneath of your knuckles, that's an overweight dog's ribs. A lot of people get fixated on weight rather than feel, but, especially with a crossbreed, who knows what the correct weight is?

What do the feeding guidelines on the food say a 12kg dog should be on?

  • Like
Reactions: Connie
Connie

Connie

Thanks for all the replies, the vet is basing it on her weight and the fact that her ribs are not easily felt by her.

The guidelines for the food I’m feeding her are 200g to 350g for a medium dog based on weight of 10-15kg so I’m feeding her within those guidelines.

I’ll try changing to one of the other foods mentioned and see how we get on.

  • Like
Reactions: Gemma
Connie

Connie

Which Acana food do you use @Gemma?

  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Astronomical fee. Either he'll eventually break Neymar's transfer fee or be a massive bust Wenger was doing an amazing job working with...
    David Ornstein at the BBC says Zaha wants out of Palace and to join Arsenal for £80m. He then says that Arsenal has £45m to spend, have...
  • Major Tom
    Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have issued a joint statement the 25% tariff proposed by the Trump administration against Chinese goods...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years