Game Listing Nier: Automata (Square Enix) (1 Viewer)

Platform(s)
Xbox One, Playstation 4, PC
Players
1
Co-op
No
Genre(s)
Action, Adventure, Role-Playing
Release Date
Mar 10, 2017
Developer
PlatinumGames
Publisher
Square Enix
ESRB Rating
Mature
PEGI Rating
Suitable only for persons 18 and older.

Nier: Automata is an action role-playing game in which players take the role of combat androids from the YoRHa units across an open world environment. In addition to standard navigation on foot, using a special item allows the player to summon a wild animal to ride, and in some scenarios pilot a flying mech to fight enemies.

As with the previous game, during navigation in some environments, the camera shifts from its standard third-person perspective to an overhead or side-scrolling view. Some areas also include platforming elements, requiring the player to navigate by jumping between platforms or over obstacles. The player can complete side quests for non-playable characters found throughout the world. Shops available in hub locations allow the player to purchase items, including consumables which recover health.

Combat is action-based, with the player fighting enemies in real-time in a variety of in-game environments. During battle, the player can use light attacks—which are fast but weak—and heavy attacks—slow and more powerful. The player can evade enemy attacks and, with successfully timed button presses, can gain temporary invulnerability and launch a counterattack that deals heavy damage. The player is also assisted by a Pod, a flying robot assistant that can launch customizable ranged attacks varying from simple gunfire to heavy-hitting hammer attacks. Pods can also shield the player from harm in various ways. The player is able to access four different weapon types in battle: short swords, long swords, bracers, and spears. While attacking, the player can alternate between both weapon types and attacks to create combination attacks. Attacks with different weapon types can also be charged and launched for increased damage. Weapon Stories, a recurring element in both Nier and the Drakengard series, where weapons found throughout the world have unique stories attached to them, are also featured.

As the player progresses they gain experience levels which increase health, defense, and attack power. Character progression is handled through 'chips', items installed onto the player characters that modify their attributes; these chips provide benefits ranging from altering the HUD to granting status buffs. The number of chips that can be installed at once is limited by how many slots are available. Chips can either be purchased from shops or picked up from defeated enemies. If the player dies, they will respawn at their previous save point. The player can then find their original body, and either retrieve its items and experience to gain a bonus or attempt to repair it. Depending on the player's success, the body is either resurrected as a temporary ally or as an enemy the player can defeat for an extra bonus. With online features enabled, the bodies of other players can also be retrieved or resurrected at the location in which they died.

1.jpg na_15.jpg nier_automata.jpg NieRAutomata-70.jpg

Graphics Rating
5.00 star(s)
Story Rating
3.00 star(s)
Content Rating
4.00 star(s)
Difficulty Rating
4.00 star(s)
Gameplay Rating
4.00 star(s)
  • Like
Reactions: Gemma

Have to say I'm loving this, just finished the forest world, don't have a clue how long I have left but loving the characters, music and combat. Only figured out how to upgrade my skills a little while back so that's helped things along. 2B is such a great character.

As much as I love the game, I'm not sure I'll make it through route B. Not even at the resistance camp yet and I'm sick of the hacking game. Tempted to just look up the difference in cutscenes and endings. Also, CEX are offering £22 cash for it and I bought it for £21 so the temptation is there to sell it.

    Major Tom replied to the thread Mindhunter.
    First three episodes are excellent. Better than season one.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    Very nice result for Spurs against City. Had to ride their luck at times but that's to be expected. City will be disappointed to have...
    Coutinho immediately becomes one of their absolute best players, so it's well worth it for them - he's good enough that they can...
    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM