WE ARE FORUM BANTER!!!
Talk about the things that matter to you!!
Howdy stranger!! It looks like you're new here.
If you want to get involved, click on the button below!
Join The Conversation

New MOT Regulations (May 2018) (1 Viewer)

Bandit

Bandit

Staff member Staff member
To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

From 20 May 2018 the MOT test is becoming stricter in a number of areas. The changes are being brought in to adhere to a European Union directive called the EU Roadworthiness Package.

There will be tighter scrutiny of diesel cars’ particulate filters and faults on cars will be classed as Minor, Major or Dangerous.

Minor faults are comparable to the current ‘advisory’ notices written on test certificates by MOT testers for items that aren’t bad enough for the car to fail its test, but will need to be fixed at some point.

Faults classed as Major will require the car to be fixed and retested. And those categorised as Dangerous will make it illegal for the car to be driven on public roads as well as automatic failure of the MOT
https://www.whatcar.com/news/mot-test-changes-in-2018/

Major Tom

Major Tom

Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member
Diesel drivers will really be targeted in the next few years. A real con by government and the industry to lead folks to believe it was the way forward.

Bandit

Bandit

Diesel drivers will really be targeted in the next few years. A real con by government and the industry to lead folks to believe it was the way forward.
Any diesel owners who've had their DPF removed are in for an expensive time

SteveO

SteveO

Any diesel owners who've had their DPF removed are in for an expensive time
Problem with that is that CO2 levels will rocket in 5-10 years compared to forecasts and then the pendulum will have to swing again. Typical Knee Jerking. Long term thinking is required here.

There will be tighter scrutiny of diesel cars’ particulate filters and faults on cars will be classed as Minor, Major or Dangerous.

Minor faults are comparable to the current ‘advisory’ notices written on test certificates by MOT testers for items that aren’t bad enough for the car to fail its test, but will need to be fixed at some point.

Faults classed as Major will require the car to be fixed and retested. And those categorised as Dangerous will make it illegal for the car to be driven on public roads as well as automatic failure of the MOT
Not sure I see the difference between Major and Dangerous though. Both are fails, both mean the car cannot be driven until fixed?

Bandit

Bandit

Not sure I see the difference between Major and Dangerous though. Both are fails, both mean the car cannot be driven until fixed?
There are a few voices in the trade who think that introducing three levels - minor, major and dangerous will be more confusing than the previous arrangement of advisory, pass or fail.

With a major fault, say excessive brake pad wear, it was and still is legal although not necessarily advisable for you to drive the vehicle away, repair it and re-present.

With a fault that is dangerous, say a significant brake fluid leak that could cause complete brake failure, then the car must not be driven away - a regulation that is now consistent with the requirements of the Road Traffic Act.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Community Activity

• Zidane
    I bought this game on release and can't get into it. I've barely scratched the surface of it. Does anybody think its a bit overrated?
  • Zidane
    Zidane replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Goal of the season already!?
  • Zidane
    Zidane replied to the thread Peter Fonda dead at 79.
    79. Decent innings. Race With The Devil is one of my guilty pleasures. RIP
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Coutinho off on loan to Bayern Munich apparently. You'd think that would kill off any talk of Neymar returning to Barcelona?
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread Podcast Apps For Android Devices.
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Great goal. I've always liked Aduriz. He may be 38 and slow but he knows where the goal is. Barcelona were poor last night, they may...
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor posted the thread Peter Fonda dead at 79 in MOVIES & TV SHOW CHAT.
    There are actors that epitomise a certain era, that have a type of "cool" presence, Fonda was absolutely one of those. Sad news.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    In the Championship, Huddersfield Town have sacked boss Jan Siewert, who led the Terriers to just one win in his seven months in charge...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Incredible goal! Not just the finish but the 1-2 on the wing and the cross in. Aduriz had only been on the pitch for 60 seconds. He's...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread Need for Speed: Heat.
    It does look stunning in fairness, and I find it looks even better when you play it as videos don't do it justice. I really want this to...