New MOT Regulations (May 2018) (1 Viewer)

To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

From 20 May 2018 the MOT test is becoming stricter in a number of areas. The changes are being brought in to adhere to a European Union directive called the EU Roadworthiness Package.

There will be tighter scrutiny of diesel cars’ particulate filters and faults on cars will be classed as Minor, Major or Dangerous.

Minor faults are comparable to the current ‘advisory’ notices written on test certificates by MOT testers for items that aren’t bad enough for the car to fail its test, but will need to be fixed at some point.

Faults classed as Major will require the car to be fixed and retested. And those categorised as Dangerous will make it illegal for the car to be driven on public roads as well as automatic failure of the MOT
https://www.whatcar.com/news/mot-test-changes-in-2018/

Diesel drivers will really be targeted in the next few years. A real con by government and the industry to lead folks to believe it was the way forward.

Diesel drivers will really be targeted in the next few years. A real con by government and the industry to lead folks to believe it was the way forward.
Any diesel owners who've had their DPF removed are in for an expensive time

Diesel drivers will really be targeted in the next few years. A real con by government and the industry to lead folks to believe it was the way forward.
Any diesel owners who've had their DPF removed are in for an expensive time
Problem with that is that CO2 levels will rocket in 5-10 years compared to forecasts and then the pendulum will have to swing again. Typical Knee Jerking. Long term thinking is required here.

There will be tighter scrutiny of diesel cars’ particulate filters and faults on cars will be classed as Minor, Major or Dangerous.

Minor faults are comparable to the current ‘advisory’ notices written on test certificates by MOT testers for items that aren’t bad enough for the car to fail its test, but will need to be fixed at some point.

Faults classed as Major will require the car to be fixed and retested. And those categorised as Dangerous will make it illegal for the car to be driven on public roads as well as automatic failure of the MOT
Not sure I see the difference between Major and Dangerous though. Both are fails, both mean the car cannot be driven until fixed?

Not sure I see the difference between Major and Dangerous though. Both are fails, both mean the car cannot be driven until fixed?
There are a few voices in the trade who think that introducing three levels - minor, major and dangerous will be more confusing than the previous arrangement of advisory, pass or fail.

With a major fault, say excessive brake pad wear, it was and still is legal although not necessarily advisable for you to drive the vehicle away, repair it and re-present.

With a fault that is dangerous, say a significant brake fluid leak that could cause complete brake failure, then the car must not be driven away - a regulation that is now consistent with the requirements of the Road Traffic Act.

    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    In the Championship, Huddersfield Town have sacked boss Jan Siewert, who led the Terriers to just one win in his seven months in charge...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Incredible goal! Not just the finish but the 1-2 on the wing and the cross in. Aduriz had only been on the pitch for 60 seconds. He's...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread Need for Speed: Heat.
    It does look stunning in fairness, and I find it looks even better when you play it as videos don't do it justice. I really want this to...