New MOT Regulations (May 2018)

To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

From 20 May 2018 the MOT test is becoming stricter in a number of areas. The changes are being brought in to adhere to a European Union directive called the EU Roadworthiness Package.

There will be tighter scrutiny of diesel cars’ particulate filters and faults on cars will be classed as Minor, Major or Dangerous.

Minor faults are comparable to the current ‘advisory’ notices written on test certificates by MOT testers for items that aren’t bad enough for the car to fail its test, but will need to be fixed at some point.

Faults classed as Major will require the car to be fixed and retested. And those categorised as Dangerous will make it illegal for the car to be driven on public roads as well as automatic failure of the MOT
https://www.whatcar.com/news/mot-test-changes-in-2018/

Diesel drivers will really be targeted in the next few years. A real con by government and the industry to lead folks to believe it was the way forward.

Diesel drivers will really be targeted in the next few years. A real con by government and the industry to lead folks to believe it was the way forward.
Any diesel owners who've had their DPF removed are in for an expensive time

Diesel drivers will really be targeted in the next few years. A real con by government and the industry to lead folks to believe it was the way forward.
Any diesel owners who've had their DPF removed are in for an expensive time
Problem with that is that CO2 levels will rocket in 5-10 years compared to forecasts and then the pendulum will have to swing again. Typical Knee Jerking. Long term thinking is required here.

There will be tighter scrutiny of diesel cars’ particulate filters and faults on cars will be classed as Minor, Major or Dangerous.

Minor faults are comparable to the current ‘advisory’ notices written on test certificates by MOT testers for items that aren’t bad enough for the car to fail its test, but will need to be fixed at some point.

Faults classed as Major will require the car to be fixed and retested. And those categorised as Dangerous will make it illegal for the car to be driven on public roads as well as automatic failure of the MOT
Not sure I see the difference between Major and Dangerous though. Both are fails, both mean the car cannot be driven until fixed?

Not sure I see the difference between Major and Dangerous though. Both are fails, both mean the car cannot be driven until fixed?
There are a few voices in the trade who think that introducing three levels - minor, major and dangerous will be more confusing than the previous arrangement of advisory, pass or fail.

With a major fault, say excessive brake pad wear, it was and still is legal although not necessarily advisable for you to drive the vehicle away, repair it and re-present.

With a fault that is dangerous, say a significant brake fluid leak that could cause complete brake failure, then the car must not be driven away - a regulation that is now consistent with the requirements of the Road Traffic Act.

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)