Motorway Bridge Collapses In Genoa (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter The Kat
  • ( Start date , 6 Replies)

The Kat

The Kat

A motorway bridge has collapsed in the northwest Italian city of Genoa, killing at least 35 people as vehicles plummeted to the ground, emergency services say.

Dramatic video footage captured the moment of the disaster when one of the huge supporting towers crashed down during torrential rain.

Vehicles and debris fell 90m (295ft) on to rail tracks and a warehouse.

Rescuers are trying to free people caught in crushed vehicles or rubble.

Some 200 firefighters are working at the scene, Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said.

Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli spoke of an "immense tragedy" and France offered Italy its support.

Looks horrendous. Eyewitnesses saying there were at least 8 or 9 vehicles on the collapsed section.

People were calling it dangerous for years. There was talk of taking it down and building a tunnel instead, they don't have much choice now, unfortunately.

Dreadful scenes on tv show just how big a span has collapsed.

Very sad and avoidable going by the comments about the condition and maintenance.

The pictures are extraordinary. It's like a disaster movie. And it's just not something you'd expect somewhere like Italy with such a good road infrastructure. Utterly awful.

FiFi

FiFi

What a terrible tragedy.

I visited Genoa earlier this year and was staying in Sestri Ponente. It's shocking to see this happen as that bridge was close by.

There's a lot of reliance on bridges and tunnels in Genoa as the terrain is so hilly. The roads would require a huge amount of maintenance to keep them in safe condition. Unfortunately, going by reports, it's clear that they're not getting the investment they require.

    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    In the Championship, Huddersfield Town have sacked boss Jan Siewert, who led the Terriers to just one win in his seven months in charge...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Incredible goal! Not just the finish but the 1-2 on the wing and the cross in. Aduriz had only been on the pitch for 60 seconds. He's...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread Need for Speed: Heat.
    It does look stunning in fairness, and I find it looks even better when you play it as videos don't do it justice. I really want this to...