Motorway Bridge Collapses In Genoa (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter The Kat
  • ( Start date , 6 Replies)

The Kat
Staff member

The Kat

Jun 19, 2018
A motorway bridge has collapsed in the northwest Italian city of Genoa, killing at least 35 people as vehicles plummeted to the ground, emergency services say.

Dramatic video footage captured the moment of the disaster when one of the huge supporting towers crashed down during torrential rain.

Vehicles and debris fell 90m (295ft) on to rail tracks and a warehouse.

Rescuers are trying to free people caught in crushed vehicles or rubble.

Some 200 firefighters are working at the scene, Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said.

Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli spoke of an "immense tragedy" and France offered Italy its support.

Looks horrendous. Eyewitnesses saying there were at least 8 or 9 vehicles on the collapsed section.

People were calling it dangerous for years. There was talk of taking it down and building a tunnel instead, they don't have much choice now, unfortunately.

Dreadful scenes on tv show just how big a span has collapsed.

Very sad and avoidable going by the comments about the condition and maintenance.

Some Random Guy
Staff member

Some Random Guy

This is absolutely horrific.

The pictures are extraordinary. It's like a disaster movie. And it's just not something you'd expect somewhere like Italy with such a good road infrastructure. Utterly awful.

FiFi
Staff member

FiFi

What a terrible tragedy.

I visited Genoa earlier this year and was staying in Sestri Ponente. It's shocking to see this happen as that bridge was close by.

There's a lot of reliance on bridges and tunnels in Genoa as the terrain is so hilly. The roads would require a huge amount of maintenance to keep them in safe condition. Unfortunately, going by reports, it's clear that they're not getting the investment they require.

  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's comment on blog entry Just Live with Like.
    I dreaded turning 30. Turned out to be one of the best years of my life so far. You're doing great babe, you are an inspiration! xxx
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Hi Everyone.
    Welcome, lovely. Great having you here :D
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's post in the thread Hi Everyone with Love.
    Hi everyone. Just got an invitation to join up from Gemma. Looks great. Looking forward to chatting away.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Last Site You Visited?.
    Audible. Looking for a new audio book.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    No shocks in the fifth round with just the Man United versus Chelsea tie to be played. It would be good to see a "smaller" club like...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Science Fiction The Orville.
    I actually enjoy this more than Star Trek Discovery. Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Could backfire then but I guess the Cowboys took the same risk keeping Ezekiel Elliott about the place for so long.
  • Birdman
    Birdman reacted to SteveO's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like.
    Read earlier that no punishment has been decided as yet but he is likely to serve a ban.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread The Umbrella Academy.
    Looks intriguing and equally messed up. It was released on Netflix on Friday morning (10 episodes).
  • SteveO
    SteveO posted the thread The Umbrella Academy in ON THE BOX.
    Title: The Umbrella Academy Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy Creator: Steve Blackman Cast: Ellen Page, Tom Hopper...