Rock Misplaced Childhood (1985) (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter SteveO
  • ( Start date , 1 Replies)

5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Misplaced Childhood
Artist: Marillion
Genre: Progressive Rock
Released: 1985

Tracks:
1 - Pseudo Silk Kimono - 2:14
2 - Kayleigh - 4:03
3 - Lavender - 2:27
4 - Bitter Suite: I. Brief Encounter / II. Lost Weekend / III. Blue Angel - 5:53
5 - Heart of Lothian: I. Wide Boy / II. Curtain Call - 6:06
6 - Waterhole (Expresso Bongo) - 2:12
7 - Lords of the Backstage - 1:52
8 - Blind Curve: I. Vocal Under a Bloodlight / II. Passing Strangers / III. Mylo / IV. Perimeter Walk / V. Threshold - 9:29
9 - Childhoods End? - 4:32
10 - White Feather - 2:23

CD 2
1 - Lady Nina - 5:49
2 - Freaks - 4:07
3 - Kayleigh (alternative mix) - 4:04
4 - Lavender Blue - 4:23
5 - Heart of Lothian (extended mix) - 5:53
6 - Pseudo Silk Kimono - 2:08
7 - Kayleigh - 4:11
8 - Lavender - 2:32
9 - Bitter Suite: I. Brief Encounter - II. Lost Weekend - 2:56
10 - Lords of the Backstage - 1:48
11 - Blue Angel - 1:45
12 - Misplaced Rendezvous - 1:21
13 - Heart of Lothian: I. Wide Boy - II. Curtain Call - 4:25
14 - Waterhole (Expresso Bongo) - 1:52
15 - Passing Strangers: I. Mylo - II. Perimeter Walk - III. Threshold - 9:25
16 - Childhoods End? - 2:22
17 - White Feather - 2:15

Overview:
Misplaced Childhood is the third studio album of the neo-progressive rock band Marillion. It was released in 1985 and has been their most commercially successful album, reaching number one in the UK album charts in June 1985 and spending a total of 41 weeks on the chart, the longest chart residency of a Marillion album.

The album features the band's two most successful singles, the guitar-led "Kayleigh", which reached No. 2 in the UK and was a worldwide success, and the piano-led "Lavender", which reached No. 5. The name Kayleigh was devised by Fish to slightly obscure the name of a former girlfriend named "Kay Lee" (with "Lee" being the middle name), whom the song was mostly about.

Misplaced Childhood was the band's first full concept album, consisting of two continuous pieces of music on the two sides of the vinyl. In live concerts preceding the album, Fish had originally claimed as a teaser that the next album would consist of only two tracks, 'Side One' and 'Side Two'. Then, during the Misplaced Childhood tour, Fish would announce "Now there is time for one more track... the name of the track is 'Misplaced Childhood'", and the band performed the entire album in sequence.

The story has thematic elements of lost love, sudden success, acceptance, and lost childhood, along with an upbeat ending. As Fish explains, he conceived the concept during a 10-hour acid trip. Several of the songs and titles contain notable autobiographical references; one example is that track 2 ("Kayleigh") references past girlfriends. Another example is track 5 ("I was born with the heart of Lothian"), which is a reference to a traditional region of Scotland – Fish himself being from Midlothian – and a reference to the Heart of Midlothian (Royal Mile) – a mosaic heart in the pavement of Edinburgh's Royal Mile.

Brilliant band. Sadly missed, especially Fish. Criminally underrated musical genius.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

    Major Tom replied to the thread Mindhunter.
    First three episodes are excellent. Better than season one.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    Very nice result for Spurs against City. Had to ride their luck at times but that's to be expected. City will be disappointed to have...
    Coutinho immediately becomes one of their absolute best players, so it's well worth it for them - he's good enough that they can...
    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM