Minimum Pricing Alcohol (1 Viewer)

Scotland is the first country in the world to introduce minimum pricing for alcohol. It comes into effect today.

The price of cheap, high-strength alcohol has gone up in Scotland as long-awaited legislation on minimum pricing comes into force.

The law, which sets a floor price for drinks depending on how many units of alcohol they contain, was passed in 2012 but has faced legal challenges.
The Scottish government said the move would cut consumption and save lives.

High-strength white cider and cheap own-brand vodka and whisky will see the biggest rise in prices.

Ministers said the idea was to target booze that attracted problem drinkers.

They were concerned that a two-litre bottle of strong cider (7.5 abv), which contained more than the weekly recommended limit for alcohol (14 units), could be bought for as little as £2.50.

It will now cost at least £7.50.

Own brand vodka, gin and whisky will also rise in price by as much as £3 a bottle, as will some cheap wines and multi-pack beers.

Pubs, clubs and restaurants are unlikely to be affected by the law as they would have to be selling a pint of lager for about £1.14 or a large glass of wine for £1.50.

You can work out how many units there are in any drink by multiplying the total volume of a drink (in ml) by its ABV (Alcohol by volume - measured as a percentage) and dividing the result by 1,000.

A bottle of 70cl (700ml) whisky at 40 abv is 28 units. At 50p per unit of alcohol that means a minimum price of £14.
Vodka, which is not quite as strong (37.5 abv) would be 26.25 units and £13.13.

A 440 ml can of lager (4% abv) would be a minimum of 88p.

It will make no difference to alcohol dependents other than making their life harder.

Cherub
Staff member

Cherub

I have mixed views on this as I can see the aim, but hate nanny state and taxes hurting the poorer most.

It's like any other commodity, people will find a cheaper alternative.

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

Its totally the right decision imo.

There's no way you should be able to buy 3 litres of 7.5% ABV white cider for £3.50. £8 or so is a much better price.

Basically, you need to legislate so that people can't get hammered for under a fiver.

The entire taxation of alcohol needs an overhaul anyway - there's no reason for different types of drink having totally different taxes.
Just tax all alcohol by the unit instead.

Its totally the right decision imo.
It might prevent some people going down the slippery slope (as quickly) which is good. It also might force people who are already down said slope to drink lethal black market shite that'll poison them, turn them blind or some other shit. It's only really targeting the people at the bottom though isn't it????

It isn't going to bother the functioning piss pots who earn decent cash that flatten 3 bottles of wine a night.

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

It isn't going to bother the functioning piss pots who earn decent cash that flatten 3 bottles of wine a night.
You're absolutely right, and I did say that the minimum pricing only helps partially, whereas a full review of alcohol unit taxation would help.

  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's comment on blog entry Just Live with Like.
    I dreaded turning 30. Turned out to be one of the best years of my life so far. You're doing great babe, you are an inspiration! xxx
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Hi Everyone.
    Welcome, lovely. Great having you here :D
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's post in the thread Hi Everyone with Love.
    Hi everyone. Just got an invitation to join up from Gemma. Looks great. Looking forward to chatting away.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Last Site You Visited?.
    Audible. Looking for a new audio book.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    No shocks in the fifth round with just the Man United versus Chelsea tie to be played. It would be good to see a "smaller" club like...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Science Fiction The Orville.
    I actually enjoy this more than Star Trek Discovery. Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Could backfire then but I guess the Cowboys took the same risk keeping Ezekiel Elliott about the place for so long.
  • Birdman
    Birdman reacted to SteveO's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like.
    Read earlier that no punishment has been decided as yet but he is likely to serve a ban.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread The Umbrella Academy.
    Looks intriguing and equally messed up. It was released on Netflix on Friday morning (10 episodes).
  • SteveO
    SteveO posted the thread The Umbrella Academy in ON THE BOX.
    Title: The Umbrella Academy Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy Creator: Steve Blackman Cast: Ellen Page, Tom Hopper...