Minimum Pricing Alcohol (1 Viewer)

Scotland is the first country in the world to introduce minimum pricing for alcohol. It comes into effect today.

The price of cheap, high-strength alcohol has gone up in Scotland as long-awaited legislation on minimum pricing comes into force.

The law, which sets a floor price for drinks depending on how many units of alcohol they contain, was passed in 2012 but has faced legal challenges.
The Scottish government said the move would cut consumption and save lives.

High-strength white cider and cheap own-brand vodka and whisky will see the biggest rise in prices.

Ministers said the idea was to target booze that attracted problem drinkers.

They were concerned that a two-litre bottle of strong cider (7.5 abv), which contained more than the weekly recommended limit for alcohol (14 units), could be bought for as little as £2.50.

It will now cost at least £7.50.

Own brand vodka, gin and whisky will also rise in price by as much as £3 a bottle, as will some cheap wines and multi-pack beers.

Pubs, clubs and restaurants are unlikely to be affected by the law as they would have to be selling a pint of lager for about £1.14 or a large glass of wine for £1.50.

You can work out how many units there are in any drink by multiplying the total volume of a drink (in ml) by its ABV (Alcohol by volume - measured as a percentage) and dividing the result by 1,000.

A bottle of 70cl (700ml) whisky at 40 abv is 28 units. At 50p per unit of alcohol that means a minimum price of £14.
Vodka, which is not quite as strong (37.5 abv) would be 26.25 units and £13.13.

A 440 ml can of lager (4% abv) would be a minimum of 88p.

It will make no difference to alcohol dependents other than making their life harder.

Cherub

Cherub

I have mixed views on this as I can see the aim, but hate nanny state and taxes hurting the poorer most.

It's like any other commodity, people will find a cheaper alternative.

Zidane

Zidane

Its totally the right decision imo.

There's no way you should be able to buy 3 litres of 7.5% ABV white cider for £3.50. £8 or so is a much better price.

Basically, you need to legislate so that people can't get hammered for under a fiver.

The entire taxation of alcohol needs an overhaul anyway - there's no reason for different types of drink having totally different taxes.
Just tax all alcohol by the unit instead.

Its totally the right decision imo.
It might prevent some people going down the slippery slope (as quickly) which is good. It also might force people who are already down said slope to drink lethal black market shite that'll poison them, turn them blind or some other shit. It's only really targeting the people at the bottom though isn't it????

It isn't going to bother the functioning piss pots who earn decent cash that flatten 3 bottles of wine a night.

Zidane

Zidane

It isn't going to bother the functioning piss pots who earn decent cash that flatten 3 bottles of wine a night.
You're absolutely right, and I did say that the minimum pricing only helps partially, whereas a full review of alcohol unit taxation would help.

    Major Tom replied to the thread Mindhunter.
    First three episodes are excellent. Better than season one.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    Very nice result for Spurs against City. Had to ride their luck at times but that's to be expected. City will be disappointed to have...
    Coutinho immediately becomes one of their absolute best players, so it's well worth it for them - he's good enough that they can...
    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM