Microsoft announces Xbox Game Pass for PC

  • Created By Thread starter Major Tom

Microsoft has formally announced that it is bringing its Netflix-style subscription service for games, Xbox Game Pass, to PC. Subscribers are able to access a rotating library of downloadable games for one monthly fee.

Xbox-Game-Pass-PC-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Even on PC, the service will be called Xbox Game Pass. Although it shares a name with the Xbox One version, the announcement makes clear that the PC library will be curated separately. The company calls it "a new experience that we are building together with the PC community." More details will be shared during Microsoft's E3 2019 press conference.

In the announcement from Xbox head Phil Spencer, Microsoft says the service will give subscribers access to a curated library of more than 100 PC games on Windows 10, representing publishers like Bethesda, Deep Silver, Devolver Digital, Paradox Interactive, and Sega. The company also committed to including new releases from Xbox Game Studios on the PC version of Game Pass on the day of release, just like the Xbox One service. The library will add new games every month. Game Pass members can also permanently purchase the games at up to a 20% discount in the Microsoft Store, and 10% off DLC.

The announcement also noted two other key initiatives for PC players. The first is bringing Xbox Game Studios games to the Steam storefront, starting with Gears 5 and the Age of Empires games. The company also committed to supporting Win32 games on the Microsoft Store for Windows.

"These are just a few of our steps in a journey to contribute to gaming on Windows 10," Spencer said. "We know that PC gamers want to see games, so I hope you'll join us at our annual Xbox E3 2019 Briefing on Sunday, June 9 to hear more, including the amazing lineup of new games and offers coming to PC players."

On Xbox One, the Game Pass service costs $10 / £8 / $11 AU per month for a similarly sized library of rotating games. It's developed a healthy reputation for having a solid library, including some indies on day one. It recently outlined plans for late May and early June, which includes day-one access to Void Bastards and Outer Wilds.

Focus Home Interactive is one of several companies planning to release games through Xbox Game Pass for PC.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass for PC last week. Today Focus Home Interactive confirmed it will be part of the program.

The next game coming from Focus Home Interactive is The Surge 2, slated for September 24. The company didn’t say whether or not the game would arrive on the service, but, the original was added to Xbox Game Pass back in April.

Focus Home is also partnering with 19 developers such as Dontnod, Saber Interactive, Deck13, Asobo Studio, Sumo Digital, and Gasket Games comprised of former Relic Entertainment and Blackbird Interactive veterans.

We’re likely to see many of those titles appear on the service for both Xbox One and PC. We’ll have to wait and see, though.

    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Formula 1 2019: Discussion Thread.
    Very dull race today. Slight bit excitement on last lap but not really enough. Norris did well and was so unlucky. Of course, it...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Formula 1 2019: Discussion Thread.
    Geez, this French Grand Prix is like............
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft).
    Just pulled the trigger on the season pass. But I can't seem to download the first Episode from Legacy of the Lost Blade. Currently...