Movie Talk Marvel Cinematic Universe vs DC Universe (1 Viewer)

As "Avengers: Infinity War" looms upon us and Marvel keeps churning out hit after hit after hit from its film factory I have to ask; where has DC gone wrong? What has Marvel done right? And, ultimately, how does DC get itself back on track?

Connie

Connie

Marvel has made their universe funny, interesting and, above all, entertaining. Marvel is geeky.

DC is trying to be different. It's a bit dark, dull and the wrong side of moody. Not every film can be "The Dark Knight" though.

For me, Marvel has had a long-term vision, great characters, plot and character development and patience.

Bale's Batman was good but very dark. And Wonder Woman was a good standalone film but that is about it.

Marvel just seems to have that something else in most cases.

If you look at the actual comics divisions of those companies the actual reverse is true.

DC comics is out-performing Marvel comics by a long way, with Marvel only really maintaining a parity/market share with DC by publishing many more titles, constantly releasing more #1 issues and generally charging more per book.

If you look into possible reasons for this, then back around 2013 Marvel made a concerted effort to introduce more diversity & PC into its writing. Then they also started doing the same with its characters, either by introducing new ones like American Chavez (a latino lesbian), or re-booting original characters as something different, like turning Thor into a woman, Ironman became a black female teenager, the Hulk became Korean etc; they even got Jean Grey to gaslight Iceman into being gay.

Then they also introduced it into their artwork, with them veering away from the typical big-titted, scantily clad, hourglass figure amazon type female superheroine to a more everyday bigger hipped flatter chested one (i.e. compare the original Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel artwork to the latest incarnation).

The MCU's success could come from not using worn-out superheroes. Before the movies I had only heard of Ironman, Thor and Captain America and what I knew about the Hulk came from the Lou Ferrigno show from years ago. The rest of them I had never even heard of. So when I see the movies it's new to me.

DC keeps running out the same tired characters who aren't nearly as interesting. Add in that the MCU has better actors, much better villains, a good sense of humour and an overall plot tying everything together that is actually interesting and it's obvious why MCU is so much better.

DC Comics has also had more success with their TV shows than their movie universe. They've also managed to use other genres to make well-watched shows like Lucifer and iZombie which are just police procedural shows based around their characters.

Another thing that could be a problem is the DC characters are generally too powerful/strong at too many things, while the Marvel ones each have one main strength but also have fairly obvious flaws that can be exploited by a cunning super villain.

This makes their stories more real as they have to struggle with many of the same issues as normal people - just on a more spectacular scale.

Marvel have a higher overall quality of superhero, and the movies have been pretty much on the money apart from the odd hiccup.

The Batman films were great, even Man of Steel had its moments, but no overall coherent strategy that would or could compete with Marvel, has left it playing catch up, and floundering in Marvel’s wake. I mean FFS, they took a second tier character like Iron Man and shook the movie industry up good, they went one better with some Z-List superheroes in Guardians of the Galaxy and shook up the superhero movie world again!

DC should not try to copy Marvel, they need to offer us something new, what that new is? Who knows!!!

    Major Tom replied to the thread Mindhunter.
    First three episodes are excellent. Better than season one.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    Very nice result for Spurs against City. Had to ride their luck at times but that's to be expected. City will be disappointed to have...
    Coutinho immediately becomes one of their absolute best players, so it's well worth it for them - he's good enough that they can...
    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM