Talk Music Manic Street Preachers

What happened to them?

I just watched an interview with them on breakfast tv of all things. I loved the "Generation Terrorists" album. Post "Everything Must Go" they’ve become increasingly more embarrassing. They were at their best when James was trying to fit Richey's lyrics into a vocal.

They should call it a day.

I agree. They obviously mean well but have got progressively worse since the fantastic Holy Bible. Nicky as much as I respect him isn’t a quarter of the lyricist that Richey was.

Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

What are your recommendations for their best albums?

I'd say Holy Bible, Generation Terrorists, Gold Against The Soul and some of Everything Must Go is all right (in that order).

Holy Bible, Everything Must Go and Generation Terrorists are my favourites. Gold Against the Soul is ok but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. After that, they became a different band.

From their newer stuff, I think that Journal For Plague Lovers is ok.

I think their last few albums have been fine, some decent tracks on all of them. Journal for Plague Lovers is very good but probably because it’s Richie’s lyrics again. The low point was definitely Know Your Enemy/Lifeblood period.

They’re still decent live too but play too much newer stuff and not enough Holy Bible stuff.

  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Astronomical fee. Either he'll eventually break Neymar's transfer fee or be a massive bust Wenger was doing an amazing job working with...
    David Ornstein at the BBC says Zaha wants out of Palace and to join Arsenal for £80m. He then says that Arsenal has £45m to spend, have...
  • Major Tom
    Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have issued a joint statement the 25% tariff proposed by the Trump administration against Chinese goods...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years