Luther

Title: Luther

Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery

First aired: 2010-05-04

Creator: Neil Cross

Cast: Idris Elba, Ruth Wilson, Dermot Crowley, Michael Smiley, Rose Leslie, Darren Boyd, Laura Haddock, Patrick Malahide, John Heffernan

Overview: A dark psychological crime drama starring Idris Elba as Luther, a man struggling with his own terrible demons, who might be as dangerous as the depraved murderers he hunts.

Season 5 started tonight - 4 episodes running until Friday.

This is more like it after a poor Season 4. Decent episode, great ending.

Who was in the boot?

A vast improvement this evening from yesterday.

EmmaG
Staff member

EmmaG

Luther is always great to get you shouting at the telly! Thought the scene on the bus in the first episode was brilliant.

Connie
Staff member

Connie

Good that, if astonishingly far-fetched. An improvement on the more recent series. Far better having it on over 4 nights too.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but the longer the show goes on, the more the balance between Luther going police stuff and Luther doing dodgy stuff tips in the wrong direction. In terms of the police stuff this season, they had a great story, twisted villain, great performances from the killer and his wife and there was probably more there that could have been explored. But it was sidelined for the last three episodes in favour of the Alice/Cornelius stuff which went on too long and ended poorly.

Staci

I would have even preferred to have seen more of Shenck trying to investigate what Luther was up to.
Even him finding out Luther was in league with Alice really ended up going nowhere.

Still, though, great performances throughout and overall it was a welcome return, and better than the last series (which I barely remember at all). Would still look forward to it coming back and it's half making me want to rewatch the whole thing, especially with all the references to past characters and events.