Knife Crime

Fraser
Staff member

Fraser

I've always assumed that the knife crime problems in London were a little overcooked by the mainstream media. I go to London with work probably 10-20 times per year for a few days and never see any problems staying largely central.

Just reading today though, 49 knives were picked up at the festival, and nearly 400 arrested. There have been over 100 knife crime killings this year.

Is this reaching a point where "something has to be done" now? Is London still safe?

Cherub
Staff member

Cherub

I visited the Carnival and although I was not there for as long as I would have liked it was spot on and I saw no hint of disorder or any weapons. Sadly because of the fact so many gangs in London use weapons to settle scores, there is always going to be a risk that any confrontation between different minded individuals will have a higher chance of involving weapons than in areas of the country where weapons are not as common. London is no more or no less as safe as it was 10 years ago, 20 years ago or 30 years ago in my opinion. Let's remember knife crime is not a new thing no matter how much the press make it out to be.

Do the high amounts of weapons confiscated from people and the arrest figures maybe indicate that the Met have done their job and are actually doing something?