Football Jose Enrique Recovering After Brain Surgery

Former Liverpool and Newcastle defender Jose Enrique is recovering from surgery to remove a brain tumour.

The 32-year-old Spaniard, who retired last September because of a persistent knee injury, said: "It has been the toughest few weeks of my life.

"Within the space of one month I have found out the news that I have a rare brain tumour and had surgery to have it removed.

"I am now in recovery and so thankful. Life is too precious."

Left-back Enrique made 127 appearances for Newcastle before a £6.5m move to Liverpool in August 2011.

He played 99 games for the Reds but was released in May 2016, after which he made 27 appearances for Spanish second tier side Real Zaragoza.

Enrique was admitted to hospital in London for neurological tests, before returning to Spain and having the tumour removed in Valencia.

"I was told that I might stay blind, but then I regained my vision and even the doctors were surprised," he said

Enrique said he faces 35 sessions of radiotherapy.

"There are only four machines in Europe," he said. "My options are to go to Zurich or Paris.

"It will take about a month and a half, but that is not important. I want to get well.

"All this makes me value life more. Football players live in a bubble - it's an unreal life. You lose yourself and think you're invincible."

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)