John

Yesterday, 19:39
Aug 9, 2018
https://www.businessinsider.com/hsbc-warns-earth-is-running-out-of-resources-for-life-2018-8

We're continuously walking out into the minefield of climate change and before long it will truly be too late to turn back. We go through all of our planets renewable resources for the year halfway into it (August 1st to be example), which means we're using resources at about twice the rate our planet can sustain.

There will be little satisfaction in told-ya-sos to climate change deniers when we're standing on the rubble of society. What's it going to take for people to take a step back and see the big picture, the total destruction of an American city by the effects of the changing climate?

I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable about climate change but even those that have the view that we have no significant impact on climate change must accept that fossil fuels are finite. So, for example, once they are used up how are we to turn the lights on if we don’t invest in renewable energy?

I found this interesting, showing how many Earths we'd need if we lived like this country or that country...

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.huffingtonpost.com%2Fasset%2F5b608d7a200000de02378997.jpeg%3Fops%3Dcrop_35_20_562_948%2Cscalefit_630_noupscale&hash=db7b17d02f281037136e59e8c3b7ace3

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable about climate change
Climate change itself is a natural phenomenon. Over the course of the Earth's history there has been countless (well not quite countless but a lot of global climate shifts).

What we are influencing, however, is what is referred to as "enhanced greenhouse effect".

It was just over 20 years ago that CFCs were banned. CFCs harming and destroying the ozone since the 1930s I think. But no, that has no effect on the climate whatsoever (apparently)....destroying the ozone, resulting in increased exposure to dangerous UV rays, HOW COULD THAT POSSIBLY HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON THE PLANET?!

Then there are the emissions from cars, planes, boats, factories, and probably a million other things (slight exaggeration maybe), that has been polluting the planet for a long f'cking time!