Staff member

John

Aug 9, 2018
https://www.businessinsider.com/hsbc-warns-earth-is-running-out-of-resources-for-life-2018-8

We're continuously walking out into the minefield of climate change and before long it will truly be too late to turn back. We go through all of our planets renewable resources for the year halfway into it (August 1st to be example), which means we're using resources at about twice the rate our planet can sustain.

There will be little satisfaction in told-ya-sos to climate change deniers when we're standing on the rubble of society. What's it going to take for people to take a step back and see the big picture, the total destruction of an American city by the effects of the changing climate?

I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable about climate change but even those that have the view that we have no significant impact on climate change must accept that fossil fuels are finite. So, for example, once they are used up how are we to turn the lights on if we don’t invest in renewable energy?

I found this interesting, showing how many Earths we'd need if we lived like this country or that country...

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable about climate change
Climate change itself is a natural phenomenon. Over the course of the Earth's history there has been countless (well not quite countless but a lot of global climate shifts).

What we are influencing, however, is what is referred to as "enhanced greenhouse effect".

It was just over 20 years ago that CFCs were banned. CFCs harming and destroying the ozone since the 1930s I think. But no, that has no effect on the climate whatsoever (apparently)....destroying the ozone, resulting in increased exposure to dangerous UV rays, HOW COULD THAT POSSIBLY HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON THE PLANET?!

Then there are the emissions from cars, planes, boats, factories, and probably a million other things (slight exaggeration maybe), that has been polluting the planet for a long f'cking time!

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)