    The galaxy awaits as Cal Kestis embarks upon an epic journey in hopes of rebuilding the Jedi Order. Fight for your survival, explore the...
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order – Launch Trailer
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Knives Out (2019).
    This appears to be an Agatha Christie style whodunnit, complete with the suitably impressive cast-list. Not sure about Daniel Craig's...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom posted the thread Knives Out (2019) in AT THE MOVIES.
    Title: Knives Out Tagline: Hell, any of them could have done it. Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Crime, Drama, Comedy Director: Rian...
    • pThyQovXQrw2m0s9x82twj48Jq4.jpg
  • Major Tom
    CAS have said they can’t get involved at this stage. Manchester City have failed in an initial bid to have the Court of Arbitration for...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    The NFL took swift and sharp action against Myles Garrett less than 24 hours after he forcefully removed the helmet of Mason Rudolph and...

Instant Pots (2 Viewers)

  • Created By Thread starter SteveO

Should I get one?

We have a slow cooker and use it sporadically, for stuff like curries and I'm doing gammon in it right now, dead easy. But I find a lot of the meat recipes need browning beforehand which means it’s not as easy as it could be, as I just don’t have time on a morning.

Does an instant pot solve that problem? I want something I can hoy a load of stuff in and leave.

McNulty

McNulty

Yes yes yes, you can sauté in the pot - we rarely use our slow cooker now, and never the slow cooker on the instant pot just the pressure function. Ideal for preparing a quick meal after work or even a batch of rice - invaluable. That said if we have time we will use the normal oven for something like a boeuf bourguignon as neither a slow or pressure cooker compare to that result

  • Like
Reactions: SteveO
Cherub

Cherub

Best kitchen gadget I've ever bought. Gets used almost every day. It will brown things for you as you can saute first (you have to stir obviously) and then bung everything else in to pressure cook.

  • Like
Reactions: SteveO
shannon

shannon

But I find a lot of the meat recipes need browning beforehand which means it’s not as easy as it could be, as I just don’t have time on a morning.
If you have no time, then the browning stage can be missed out when using the slow cooker. Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.

Regan

Regan

I don’t understand. It’s just a pressure cooker with bells on then?
Pretty much. A bloody good one, though.

In answer to the original question - yes, it is worth having.

You miss out on the autumn/winter convenience of throwing a load of veggies, meat and stock into a slow cooker and coming home to a stew. Slow cooking is probably the Instant Pot's weakest area. But that is it, upside from there. There is loads of other stuff you can do, and a million Youtube clips to tell you how to do them.

  • Like
Reactions: SteveO

I don’t understand. It’s just a pressure cooker with bells on then?
Its an electric pressure cooker with a timer, basically. And then a handful of other features - like being able to fry meat/onions off before you set it to save you getting out another pan.

It's really really good. It is far far better than a slow cooker - and if there's a special reason to use a slow cooker one day, it does that anyway.
You miss out on the autumn/winter convenience of throwing a load of veggies, meat and stock into a slow cooker and coming home to a stew.
Instant Pots have a slow cooker function on them, so yes, you can entirely do that if you wish.

Instant Pots have a slow cooker function on them, so yes, you can entirely do that if you wish.
It isn't as good at being a slow cooker as a slow cooker, though.

The design of an Instant Pot is that it heats from the bottom only, whereas a slow cooker heats from the sides as well.

It isn't as good at being a slow cooker as a slow cooker, though.

The design of an Instant Pot is that it heats from the bottom only, whereas a slow cooker heats from the sides as well.
I'll be honest, I'm yet to find any reason to use the slow cook function. The pressure cooker function works so much faster, and more importantly, much better.

Yes, a pressure-cooked stew is miles better than a slow-cooked one.