Question Holiday Touring Around Europe (1 Viewer)

A couple of us were talking about spending a couple of weeks touring various European cities later on this year or next.

Has anyone done anything like that?

Basically, fly to Amsterdam or wherever then head east/south?

Will want to plan it to an extent but not everything set in stone so allowing a bit of flexibility with time spent in different cities and that.

Trains are cheap and efficient, the internet will get you digs from your phone, couldn't be easier.

Don't try and do too much.

Did it in the 80s on interrail, the budget was £50 per week for EVERYTHING - might be a little more expensive now!

My sister has been thinking about doing that. She planned on using the ferry to get to Amsterdam then using a combination of trains or flights to other places. Overnight sleeper trains would be a good way of saving on accommodation costs while moving large distances.

My main advice would be to travel light and not take a lot of luggage with you.

Maybe set a minimum stay in each place, possibly three days so at most you would be looking at five places to visit. Then chose your favourites or just things that you really want to see.

Try the website for the man in seat 61 for advice.

https://www.seat61.com/

My sister has been thinking about doing that. She planned on using the ferry to get to Amsterdam then using a combination of trains or flights to other places. Overnight sleeper trains would be a good way of saving on accommodation costs while moving large distances.

My main advice would be to travel light and not take a lot of luggage with you.

Maybe set a minimum stay in each place, possibly three days so at most you would be looking at five places to visit. Then chose your favourites or just things that you really want to see.

Try the website for the man in seat 61 for advice.

https://www.seat61.com/
Looks like a great website that. Cheers.

I would pick the places you really want to see then fill in the bits between, don’t try and race around seeing everything.

  • Like
Reactions: Aimie
Therapy Girl

Therapy Girl

Obviously depends where in Europe you've already been but I'd miss out Amsterdam and fly to somewhere like Vienna then train on from there where it's cheap travel wise.

As said, The Man In Seat 61 is an excellent website

  • Like
Reactions: Aimie
Connie

Connie

We're doing this later this year.

Starting in Porto then flying to Valencia from there. Train to Seville then flying to Rome and then Vienna. Train to Bratislava then finish in Kiev. Digs and travel cost us £750.

Last year did it with the the same group of girls, route was - Krakow, Athens, Budapest, Rome, Barcelona. Best holiday I’ve been on.

  • Like
Reactions: Aimie and Bandit

Fly to the furthest destination then rail travel back. You can get a Europass for a couple of hundred quid which will get you to any destination you would want to. Alternatively, fly to Barcelona and do a cruise of the Mediterranean stopping off in each place for a day. It's surprisingly cheap considering how far it travels and how many places you get to see.

Last year did it with the the same group of girls, route was - Krakow, Athens, Budapest, Rome, Barcelona. Best holiday I’ve been on.
Sounds amazing. Something like this is exactly what I'm wanting to do.

Shelby

Shelby

Did something similar a few years ago with some friends.

Flew to Budapest, hired a car then drove to Bratislava for the afternoon, on to Vienna, Graz, Salzburg, Ljubjana, Zagreb, Lake Bled then back around to Budapest for our flight home.

Spent 2/3 nights in most places, drove across the Glossnocker and most of the drives were 3 hours or under with us sharing the driving.

We had a great time.

    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    In the Championship, Huddersfield Town have sacked boss Jan Siewert, who led the Terriers to just one win in his seven months in charge...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Incredible goal! Not just the finish but the 1-2 on the wing and the cross in. Aduriz had only been on the pitch for 60 seconds. He's...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread Need for Speed: Heat.
    It does look stunning in fairness, and I find it looks even better when you play it as videos don't do it justice. I really want this to...