Google Stadia

  • Created By Thread starter Major Tom

Some really good ideas in there. It's going to be so variable though, ultra dependent on having a low latency connection, which has been the downfall of every other streaming service. Getting the machines closer to the user will make a difference though, one of the benefits of having cloud infrastructure all over the world.

There's some potential there if they can make it work, just not overly convinced by Google's track record.

Google.jpg

  • Like
Reactions: David76
Creaky

Creaky

Good idea but depends on the cost and bandwidth needed

It would be cool to see what game devs could do when hardware constraints aren't as much of an issue. However, I don't like the idea of everything being in the cloud, dependant on an internet connection. It'll probably be a subscription service, too.

I just want to buy what I like and have it there to play when I want, without having to log in to google or some other company's servers for the privilege of playing a game I paid for or having to worry about my connection dropping. Not to mention that I'm already uncomfortable with the amount of info google has on everyone.

I suppose you could argue that the same thing has already happened with movies and music, and people seem to be okay with that. I dunno.

Google have a great track record of launching products only to kill them a couple of years later. I don’t see this being any different.

Google will reveal the release date and pricing for Stadia, its game streaming service, this week in its first Stadia Connect presentation.

The livestream will take place this Thursday, June 6 at 9 a.m. PST over on the official Stadia YouTube channel. The teaser, which you can watch below, says the company will also talk games.

We already know Stadia will support Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and the upcoming Doom Eternal. Perhaps we’ll get a tease at whatever Stadia’s first-party studio is working on.

The announcement of a Stadia Connect is an interesting reveal in its own right, demonstrating Google’s commitment to play with its big dog competitors. Stadia Connect sounds akin to Sony’s ‘State of Play,’ Nintendo’s ‘Nintendo Direct,’ and Microsoft’s ‘ID@Xbox Game Pass’. A video description calls Stadia Connect “a series that gives you a look at Stadia news, events, new games, bonus features & more,” so this doesn’t sound like a one-off.

One of the biggest obstacles facing Stadia’s success is latency, but according to Google’s Phil Harrison, who leads the Stadia initiative, the company is confident in its technology. So much so that fighting games – possibly the game genre that latency impacts the most – are currently in development for the platform.

    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Formula 1 2019: Discussion Thread.
    Very dull race today. Slight bit excitement on last lap but not really enough. Norris did well and was so unlucky. Of course, it...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Formula 1 2019: Discussion Thread.
    Geez, this French Grand Prix is like............
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft).
    Just pulled the trigger on the season pass. But I can't seem to download the first Episode from Legacy of the Lost Blade. Currently...