Latest Community Activity

  • Cherub
    Cherub replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    I can't recommend Address Unknown by Kressman Taylor highly enough. It only takes about an hour to read it but in the current climate...
  • Cherub
    Cherub replied to the thread The I-Land.
    The bit at the start of episode 2 was the limit for me.
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread The Latest Boxing Crack.
    Surprisingly good fight for Fury last night. Fury looked really lethargic at times but showed that he can seriously fight when he needs...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    Great performance by Norwich. Well deserved. City are a nightmare in defence. Otamendi always has an error or two in him. Major blow...
  • Jason
    Jason replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Just finished three books in the last week. I think they're the first books I've managed to finish in 6 months. 'Bleeding Hearts' (a...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread EA Access News and Discussions.
    A little over six months after releasing, EA has today announced that BioWare’s Anthem is now available for play through EA Access.
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    VAR has made four mistakes so far during the Premier League season, referees' chief Mike Riley has admitted. The mistakes identified...
  • Franco Pinion
    Franco Pinion replied to the thread It Chapter Two (2019).
    This was very much in keeping with the first film. The character stuff is good but 90% of the 'scary' stuff is loud, obnoxious...
  • Boozy
    Boozy replied to the thread It Chapter Two (2019).
    Really enjoyed the first one. Going on Tuesday to see this.
  • Boozy
    Boozy replied to the thread Operation Yellowhammer.
    Read the 15 point snapshot in The Times the other week and that was scary enough. This should really put the cat among the pigeons

Google Stadia (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter Major Tom

Some really good ideas in there. It's going to be so variable though, ultra dependent on having a low latency connection, which has been the downfall of every other streaming service. Getting the machines closer to the user will make a difference though, one of the benefits of having cloud infrastructure all over the world.

There's some potential there if they can make it work, just not overly convinced by Google's track record.

Google.jpg

  • Like
Reactions: David76

It would be cool to see what game devs could do when hardware constraints aren't as much of an issue. However, I don't like the idea of everything being in the cloud, dependant on an internet connection. It'll probably be a subscription service, too.

I just want to buy what I like and have it there to play when I want, without having to log in to google or some other company's servers for the privilege of playing a game I paid for or having to worry about my connection dropping. Not to mention that I'm already uncomfortable with the amount of info google has on everyone.

I suppose you could argue that the same thing has already happened with movies and music, and people seem to be okay with that. I dunno.

Google have a great track record of launching products only to kill them a couple of years later. I don’t see this being any different.

Google will reveal the release date and pricing for Stadia, its game streaming service, this week in its first Stadia Connect presentation.

The livestream will take place this Thursday, June 6 at 9 a.m. PST over on the official Stadia YouTube channel. The teaser, which you can watch below, says the company will also talk games.

We already know Stadia will support Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and the upcoming Doom Eternal. Perhaps we’ll get a tease at whatever Stadia’s first-party studio is working on.

The announcement of a Stadia Connect is an interesting reveal in its own right, demonstrating Google’s commitment to play with its big dog competitors. Stadia Connect sounds akin to Sony’s ‘State of Play,’ Nintendo’s ‘Nintendo Direct,’ and Microsoft’s ‘ID@Xbox Game Pass’. A video description calls Stadia Connect “a series that gives you a look at Stadia news, events, new games, bonus features & more,” so this doesn’t sound like a one-off.

One of the biggest obstacles facing Stadia’s success is latency, but according to Google’s Phil Harrison, who leads the Stadia initiative, the company is confident in its technology. So much so that fighting games – possibly the game genre that latency impacts the most – are currently in development for the platform.

Google has clarified a few points regarding the launch and features of Stadia.

In a Reddit AMA hosted by Stadia director of product Andrey Doronichev, the company rejected the description some assigned to Stadia Pro as “Netflix for games”.

Stadia Pro is a $10-a- month subscription tier that offers more benefits compared to the base service – not available until 2020. Pro allows for streaming up to 4K 60fps with 5.1 surround sound, but another crucial addition is free monthly games, which is what led to the Netflix comparison.

In the AMA, Doronichev explained that Pro won’t offer players a sea of free content like Netflix. Instead, it’s an upgraded service based on an experience already provided at the free tier, comparing it instead to PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold. As for the free games themselves, members will only get about one game each month.

This catalogue will expand, meaning you won’t lose access to old freebies, Doronichev clarified. Adding further detail, Doronichev said game ownership of said free games will work similarly to how they do on Plus and Gold, in that you’ll miss out on free games in months where your subscription lapsed, but regain access to games you previously claimed when you resubscribe.

Looking ahead, Doronichev said that a new Stadia Connect is coming soon. Stadia Connect is a Nintendo Direct-style presentation that condenses all important information into a pre-recorded show.

Here's the highlights from Andrey Doronichev's Reddit AMA. Topics he answered include questions on data caps, achievements, social features, and more.

Can you clarify what the free game situation is for Stadia pro as it is confusing due to mixed messages?
Andrey Doronichev, Director of Product: “To be clear, Stadia Pro is not “Netflix for Games” like some people have mentioned, a closer comparison would be like Xbox Live Gold or Playstation Plus. The Pro subscribers get 4K/HDR streaming, 5.1 sound, exclusive discounts and access to some free games. Roughly one free game per month give or take. Starting with Destiny 2 (yay!).”

Are there plans for an achievement system? No details needed.
Doronichev: “Oh yes, achievements… as a lifelong gamer and a pathological overachiever, I love achievements! Of course we’ll have something similar to other platforms. However, it will not be there immediately at launch. Will come a little bit later.”

If the Stadia service is discontinued, do we know what (if anything) will happen with game purchases?
Doronichev: “We get this a lot. I hear you. Moving to the cloud is scary. I felt the same way when music was transitioning from files to streaming. I still have all my old CDs in the garage… although it’s hard to find a CD player these days :)

The same happened to Movies and Photos and my Docs and other files… And it’s great! Games are no different. Eventually all of our games will be safely in the cloud too and we’ll feel great about it. We’ve been investing a ton in tech, infrastructure and partnerships over the past few years. Nothing in life is certain, but we’re committed to making Stadia a success.
The games you buy on Stadia are yours to play. From day one we’ll support Takeout, so that you can download your game metadata, including saves if you want to.

Of course, it’s ok to doubt my words. Theres nothing I can say now to make you believe if you don’t. But what we can do is to launch the service and continue investing in it for years to come. Exactly how we’ve been doing with gMail, Docs, Music, Movies and Photos. That’s exactly what we’re committed to.”

Is there anything being done to combat Data caps? Or is that purely on us to converse with our ISPs? 50 dollars extra a month for me to just NOT have a data cap.
Doronichev: “I can’t predict the future, but I’ve seen that ISPs adapted in the past – I saw it when I was at YouTube – and we’d expect that to continue. For players concerned about data usage we’ll definitely have some tools in the Stadia app to manage your data usage to adapt to your unique data situation, but I’m not sure if that will be on day one or a bit later. There’s a lot of great ISPs offering plans with 100s of mbps or even gigabits and no caps. We’re seeing different progress in different countries and are certainly expecting ISPs to continually improve the services.”

Will Stadia have its own Global Chat and Friends System, or will it depend on the game developer to implement this features?
Doronichev: “First and foremost, I personally think of Games as the main social platform of the future. So we’re investing a lot in Social, Communications and Safety on Stadia. At launch you’ll be able to manage your friends list, create parties and use platform-level voice chat. And that’s just the beginning. We also have a healthy pipeline of social features going forward.”

Is cross platform a realistic possibility or is it just something Stadia is hoping to achieve?
Doronichev: “We love cross-platform play and are working to get it with every game we can. Both cross-play and cross-progression are big priorities for us. Enabling both cross-play and cross-progression is up to each developer and publisher, but we’re doing everything we can to make it happen.”

With Stadia's non-specific November launch window steadily approaching, Google has unveiled a fresh batch of games coming to its streaming service on release day and beyond, including Cyberpunk 2077, Watchdogs Legion, and more.

When last we heard from Google, it revealed that Stadia would be available this November, but only for those willing to purchase the £119/$129.99 USD Founder's Edition bundle. A free version is scheduled to arrive next year.

Those that do opt for the Founder's Edition, however, will receive the hardware needed for 4K streaming, a controller, a three-month subscription to Stadia Pro (plus three months for a friend), and a copy of Destiny 2. All other games will need to be purchased separately.

Now, joining Stadia's previously announced list of games, Google has added a few more. The aforementioned Cyberpunk 2077 and Watch Dogs Legion are on the way to the streaming service, as are "Stadia exclusive" Orcs Must Die 3, THQ Nordic's Destroy All Humans remake, Windjammers 2, Superhot, Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle, and cute indie platform puzzler Kine.

The complete list of launch day and beyond, then, currently looks something like this:
  • 2K - NBA 2K, Borderlands 3
  • Bandai Namco - Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
  • Bethesda - DOOM Eternal, DOOM 2016, Rage 2, The Elder Scrolls Online, Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Bungie - Destiny 2
  • Capcom (games unannounced)
  • CD Projekt - Cyberpunk 2077
  • Coatsink - Get Packed
  • Codemasters - GRID
  • Deep Silver - Metro Exodus
  • DotEmu - Windjammers 2
  • Drool - Thumper
  • Electronic Arts (games unannounced)
  • Giants Software - Farming Simulator 19
  • Gwen Frey - Kine
  • Koei Tecmo - Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
  • Larian Studios - Baldur's Gate 3
  • nWay Games - Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
  • Robot Entertainment - Orcs Must Die 3
  • Rockstar (games unannounced)
  • Sega - Football Manager
  • SNK - Samurai Shodown
  • Square Enix - Final Fantasy XV, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Superhot Team - Superhot
  • Tequila Works - Gylt
  • THQ Nordic - Darksiders Genesis, Destroy All Humans
  • Ubisoft - Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Just Dance , Ghost Recon Breakpoint, The Division 2 , Trials Rising, The Crew 2, Watch Dogs Legion
  • Warner Bros - Mortal Kombat 11