SCE Santa Monica Studio
Publisher
Sony Interactive Entertainment
ESRB Rating
Mature
PEGI Rating
Suitable only for persons 18 and older.

Overview

In 2005, God of War was one the coolest things I ever played. The PlayStation 2 action game was fast-paced, brutal, and edgy. But after several sequels and prequels, both its formula and attitude felt stale. I began rolling my eyes whenever Kratos yelled or ripped the head off some mythological beast.

God of War is changing a lot with this new game. Kratos is now fighting in a Norse setting instead of ancient Greece. But that new locale isn’t the most radical departure. This God of War is slower, less gory, and less angry. Kratos is no longer a one-dimensional machine of rage and vengeance. He’s a father trying to understand and train a young son.

This new Kratos makes God of War relevant again.
  • A New Beginning - His vengeance against the gods of Olympus far behind him, Kratos now lives as a man in the lands of Norse Gods and monsters. It is in this harsh, unforgiving world that he must fight to survive... and teach his son to do the same
  • Second Chances - As mentor and protector to a son determined to earn his respect, Kratos is faced with an unexpected opportunity to master the rage that has long defined him. Questioning the dark lineage he's passed on to his son, he hopes to make amends for the shortcomings of his past
  • Midgard and Beyond - Set within the untamed forests, mountains, and realms of Norse lore, God of War features a distinctly new setting with its own pantheon of creatures, monsters, and gods
  • Vicious, Physical Combat - With an intimate, over-the-shoulder free camera that brings the action closer than ever, combat in God of War is up close, frenetic, and unflinching. Kratos' axe -powerful, magic and multi-faceted - is a brutal weapon as well as a versatile tool for exploration
Trailer

Screenshots

873465aaa.jpg 6237124aaa.jpg 6515060aaa.jpg 7463671aaa.jpg

Graphics Rating
5.00 star(s)
Story Rating
5.00 star(s)
Content Rating
5.00 star(s)
Difficulty Rating
4.00 star(s)
Gameplay Rating
5.00 star(s)

Been playing through this game, I am loving it. I enjoyed the series so far, but this has been my favourite one of the lot. Looks beautiful, fun gameplay, and I'm really digging the story. Nice to have Kratos get a bit more to him than mindless rage too.

Its been fine so far just progressing slowly which I don't mind, I haven't come across any enemies that I've thought I couldn't beat with a bit of perseverance.

Until now.

I've just started exploring the lake and am finding the combo of the nightmares rejuvenating the heavy enemies coupled with the sheer numbers of enemies really difficult to deal with.

Has anyone else thought that the difficulty has spiked in these areas? Is it necessary to level up before attempting the side quests?

Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Has anyone else thought that the difficulty has spiked in these areas? Is it necessary to level up before attempting the side quests?
Have you got any of the Crowd Control L1 + R1/R2 skills? They can be handy with dispersing groups. Learning to parry and counter is crucial also.

  • Like
Reactions: Dylan

I've just started exploring the lake and am finding the combo of the nightmares rejuvenating the heavy enemies coupled with the sheer numbers of enemies really difficult to deal with.

Has anyone else thought that the difficulty has spiked in these areas? Is it necessary to level up before attempting the side quests?
Once you get to the lake the game opens up abit and you can encounter enemies that are up to 5 levels higher than you. It is possible to beat them at lower levels but you have to be flawless as most times they can one shot you. Simply come back later.

As mentioned above crowd control abilities are good, but if the enemy is to high a level above you are are vastly less effective and on some don't work at all

Brilliant game. My only moan is they let you finish the game before you kill some of the main enemies.

Sony has announced that God of War will indeed be getting a New Game Plus mode.

The God of War New Game Plus mode works in a similar way to other games. In that you’ll be able to reset story and quests progress and start over without losing your character progress.

Things like you armour, skills, loot and so on will remain. Developer Sony Santa Monica is currently working on finalising the details, but it promised a more challenging second run thanks to increased difficulty; a way of balancing against end-game power being present in the early game.

New Game Plus was one of the community’s most requested feature, right up there with photo mode, which Sony added shortly after launch.

New Game Plus does not yet have a release date, and there are still a few things we don’t know about it. Sony Santa Monica promised more details later, but was sadly not able to promise a release date.

Sony has announced that God of War will indeed be getting a New Game Plus mode.
Some new details have emerged about the Plus mode including features and a release date.

Details and a release date for the promised God of War New Game+ have been provided by Sony.

Sony has announced a release date for the free, New Game+ update to God of War along with extra information.

The update will be released later this month, and the new mode will be available to those who have completed the story campaign. On any difficulty, mind.

With New Game+ comes new gear, more difficult enemies, cinematic skipping, and more. The features list is below.
  • Relive the journey of Kratos and Atreus with all of your previous armours, enchantments, talismans, resources and abilities on the difficulty of your choosing.
  • Test your skills against higher level enemies; some of which might even have a few new tricks up their sleeves.
  • Unique to New Game+ is a brand new rarity level of equipment to craft and upgrade! Collect ‘Skap Slag’, a new resource to upgrade your gear to the best of the best from our finest blacksmiths.
  • Play the game in a whole new way by exploring new customization options with extremely powerful new armour sets and enchantments.
  • Finally, get right back into the action with the newly added ability to skip through cinematics in both normal and New Game+ modes once a full playthrough has been completed.
The update lands August 20. We’ve re-posted the gallery of shots from the showcase below.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 76.jpg

  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Astronomical fee. Either he'll eventually break Neymar's transfer fee or be a massive bust Wenger was doing an amazing job working with...
    David Ornstein at the BBC says Zaha wants out of Palace and to join Arsenal for £80m. He then says that Arsenal has £45m to spend, have...
  • Major Tom
    Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have issued a joint statement the 25% tariff proposed by the Trump administration against Chinese goods...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years