Football General Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter Major Tom

Big win for Crystal Palace today.

The current bottom three now really look like the three to drop
I stand by this statement. If Cardiff doesn't win today against Bournemouth it is looking like the bottom three are going to have a difficult time surviving.

Liverpool drop more points as title pressure begins to mount.

Liverpool have won just 2 games in 2019 and one of those was down to Speroni throwing them in his net.

No one knows yet whether this is a blip or a trend but their form so far this calendar year has been poor.

Lagan
Staff member

Lagan

Oct 6, 2018
Obviously, for Liverpool, the draws aren't great, but more worryingly for them, the performances have been fairly stuttering. It's one thing to play well and create chances but only come away with a point - you can still feel like that kind of performance will get you 3 points next time. But Liverpool's draws weren't like that.

Genuine question here, because I don't follow things all that closely, and don't know who is injured all the time - are the absences/injuries significant enough that Liverpool fans are confident that when those players come back into the team, the performances will get back to where they were?

Or are the performances worrying even when taking that into account?

They are a lot more susceptible to a drop in performance if some of their players go out injured, IMO. Their midfield at the moment is fairly weak by their own standards and it's having an impact on their attack as a result. Keita hasn't bedded in yet, and yet they don't seem to have any other option but to pick him.

If they get Wijnaldum or Henderson or any of their other CMs back I'd say things will pick up.

Having said that, there are probably pressing injury concerns at the back too.

The injuries are pretty significant IMO.

Henderson, for all the criticism he gets, tends to make the midfield tick and Liverpool are a substantially better team with Wijnaldum in it too. Losing one is an issue, losing both is a problem. Especially when Keita is still settling and Milner is being used to plug a gap at right back.

Alexander-Arnold is a big loss too - flying wing-backs are essential to Liverpool's attacking play. It's basically our only form of width. Without TAA, Milner (or Henderson last week) have been filling in and are not capable of getting forward to the same degree, leaving it all on Robertson. Double up on him and our width is seriously compromised. It also means that the midfield can't be rotated effectively as Milner is being used to fill in at RB.

Gomez has also been excellent in CB with Van Dijk so losing him is a blow too, especially when Lovren seems to be suffering from injuries too, meaning that it is Matip or nobody. (sneaky ninja edit - Van Dijk also struggling with injuries big time. He's lost 4kg since the training camp in Dubai through sickness so taking his starting CB partner out of the equation can't be helping him)

I don't know if having these guys back will make everything click again (Alisson, Firmino, Keita and Robertson are all playing below the levels we have seen earlier in the season, for e.g.) but it certainly is an issue.

That said, though, weren't West Ham missing half their first team too last night? Arnautovic, Balbuena, etc? Every team suffers with injuries and it is down to managing it well with squad rotation, etc. What the current injury spell has shone a light on at Liverpool, IMO, is the paucity of options in some positions. The drop off from Salah, Mane and Firmino to Origi or Sturridge is huge, for e.g., and there is no back up right-back. And it's Moreno on the left so, essentially, there is no back up left-back either.

Whatever happens, no team is running away with this, we have a proper title race this season. No offence to Spurs but its still between City and Liverpool.

Whatever happens, no team is running away with this, we have a proper title race this season. No offence to Spurs but its still between City and Liverpool.
I don't see how you can say that with any conviction. Liverpool are on a mini slide and Spurs are showing grit despite missing their best player and Dele Alli. They absolutely battered United a few weeks back without getting the rub of the green and are on a good run. They are light on players but so are Liverpool and City are still in 4 competitions so it's not inconceivable they could finish ahead of one or both.

Man City look like going top of the league on goal difference albeit having played a game more. Leading Everton 1-0 with 15 mins remaining.

Man City destroying Chelsea. 4-0 in 24 minutes, this is something else.

There is clearly something wrong at Chelsea, this is the third manager in a row to lose the plot.

Can’t see them getting back into top four again this season as the players look like they’ve downed tools again. Think it’s only a matter of time before fans are looking to bring Mourinho ‘home’ again.

  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's comment on blog entry Just Live with Like.
    I dreaded turning 30. Turned out to be one of the best years of my life so far. You're doing great babe, you are an inspiration! xxx
  • Gemma
    Gemma replied to the thread Hi Everyone.
    Welcome, lovely. Great having you here :D
  • Gemma
    Gemma reacted to Indigo's post in the thread Hi Everyone with Love.
    Hi everyone. Just got an invitation to join up from Gemma. Looks great. Looking forward to chatting away.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Last Site You Visited?.
    Audible. Looking for a new audio book.
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    No shocks in the fifth round with just the Man United versus Chelsea tie to be played. It would be good to see a "smaller" club like...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Science Fiction The Orville.
    I actually enjoy this more than Star Trek Discovery. Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Could backfire then but I guess the Cowboys took the same risk keeping Ezekiel Elliott about the place for so long.
  • Birdman
    Birdman reacted to SteveO's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like.
    Read earlier that no punishment has been decided as yet but he is likely to serve a ban.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread The Umbrella Academy.
    Looks intriguing and equally messed up. It was released on Netflix on Friday morning (10 episodes).
  • SteveO
    SteveO posted the thread The Umbrella Academy in ON THE BOX.
    Title: The Umbrella Academy Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy Creator: Steve Blackman Cast: Ellen Page, Tom Hopper...