Gears of War 5 (1 Viewer)

Gears of War 5 was announced today during Microsoft’s Xbox E3 2018 briefing.

In development with Gears of War 4 studio The Coalition, Gears of War 5 will be released on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC.

The Xbox E3 2018 announcement isn’t a surprise at all, considering a Walmart Canada listing leaked it in May.

Gears-of-War-5-Announcement-Trailer.jpg

Last edited:

The Coalition had quite a few surprises under its sleeves at E3 2018, from Gears Pop! (developed with MediaTonic for mobile devices) to Gears Tactics (developed with Splash Damage for PC), though of course, the star of the show was really Gears of War 5.

In an interview with Wired at E3 2018, The Coalition boss Rod Fergusson talked about the technical targets set internally for Gears of War 5.

Our target is always 60fps, and we believe – with everything we've done, the learning we've taken from Gears 4, and the optimizations we've been able to do beyond that – that's exactly what we're going to be doing, 60fps at 4K. The new technology of this generation has been fantastic.
This would be a departure from Gears 4, which ran at 4K resolution and 30fps in its Campaign mode while multiplayer ran at 60fps.

Fergusson also said that the game has been optimized for PC since the development began and should allow high frame rate up to 120fps (just like the previous instalment did).

Having a game that we're building from the ground up for PC means players will be able to take advantage of all the types of different PC optimization options you can have. You'll be able to max it to quite high. It's still reasonably early, but we can usually get to 120fps. It's obviously going to matter what hardware you're using to get that – but it'll be able to scale up that high if the hardware can push it.

Gears of War 5 might just be ready to hit your consoles on September 10th. This is according to a reported leak on the official website of Taiwan’s game rating board. The latest installment in the Gears of War franchise has been confirmed for a 2019 launch previously although a specific date hasn’t been officially announced yet.

portada-gears-5-generacionxbox.jpg

For a brief period of time, the Taiwanese games rating board’s website had an updated listing of Gears 5 that showed the game’s box art.

gears_5_leaked_art_watermark_1.jpg The box art has since been changed to a more generic one with a black background and a white logo. The original version, spotted by Generacion Xbox [Spanish], prominently featured Kait Diaz, whom we’ve known for a while is going to be Gears 5’s main protagonist.

More interestingly, the cover also shows the Locuts queen Myrrah, who was killed at the end of Gears of War 3. The ending to Gears 4 suggested that there’s a connection between Kait and Myrrah, and the former certainly has a Locust pendant to prove it. This, judging from Gears 5’s only trailer, will be the driving force behind the main events of the game.

If this leaked release date is indeed accurate then is is likely that the new Gears of War game will fine itself confirmed at Microsoft’s upcoming E3 2019 conference in June this year.

Information on The Coalition’s upcoming Gears 5 has been few and far between, but the developers have nonetheless at least been sharing tidbits on the upcoming shooter every now and then. They’ve spoken about their grand ambitions for the title and the new direction it looks to take the series in, and while their new update is hardly as substantial, it’s still something.

The official Gears of War Twitter account recently shared a short clip showing off a new enemy type you’ll be facing. Called the Stump, it’s a particularly flexible new foe (or at least has very flexible limbs) who’s also mounted with an intimidating gatling gun. As the tweet suggests, if you see this enemy, it’s best to take cover- come prepared, and you might just survive. Take a look below.

Gears 5 will not carry on the series tradition of offering extra content as part of a season pass.

In a development blog, Gears 5 developer The Coalition discussed the high-level plans for post-launch support and progression in the game.

For starters, Gears 5 is not getting a season pass. What’s more, the Gear Packs system introduced in Gears 4 will not be returning in this year’s game. Gear Packs were essentially card packs – bought with real money – that dropped ability cards for use in Horde mode.

As a result of this, all post-launch DLC maps will be accessible by all players, whether in regular matchmaking or private matches. The Coalition stressed that nothing you pay for in Gears 5 will come from RNG or blind boxes, so you’ll know exactly what you’re getting before you spend any money.

And spending money you shall, because Gears 5 includes a paid-for currency called Iron, which can be spent on direct-purchase cosmetics. Gears 5 also introduces the new Tour of Duty system. This is essentially a battle pass-like structure. Tour of Duty is a collection of daily challenges and seasonal medals that push you towards unlocking cosmetics, including character skins.

The developer says requirements and their goals will be clear, so it’s easy to know exactly what you need to do in order to get the item you want. Like said battle passes, Tour of Duty also operates on a seasonal model. As you make progress through the tiers, you’ll also earn Iron for use in the store.

Gears 5 does have a form of loot boxes, but they’re only earnable through play. They’re called Supply Drops and they reward you simply for playing. Duplicate drops are possible, but each dupe turns into Scrap, a currency used to craft items found in Supply Drops. They are not purchasable with real-world money.

Finally, The Coalition revealed that Gears 5 will offer timed boosts for sale. You’ll find things like double multiplayer XP, double character XP, and double Supply Drop progression. These can be bought with real-world money.

Microsoft will host two versus multiplayer technical tests sessions for Gears 5 later this month.

As promised at E3 2019, a technical test for Gears 5 multiplayer will take place, and there are two sessions available.

Included in the test is Escalation along with Arcade and King of the Hill. You can also expect Bootcamp, which works a tutorial on the mechanics and a way to familiarize yourself with the game.

The test also features a short “Tour of Duty,” which is a series of challenges for players to earn content. When you complete all of the challenges, an exclusive Tech Test Banner will be unlocked.

You can also unlock three Versus Weapon Skins by completing some additional challenges. A closer look at Escalation will be shown during the ELEAGUE Invitational next weekend, and more on Arcade will be provided next week.

Included with your Xbox Game Pass membership or as part of your Gears 5 pre-order, the Tech Test will be available to download starting July 17. Online play will kick off July 19 at 10 am PT, 1pm ET, 6pm UK and run through July 21.

The test will become active again on July 26 at the same time, and run through July 29.

You can participate in the test on Xbox One or Windows 10 PC. If you’re an Xbox Game Pass member, you will see the Tech Test available to download in your library. Online multiplayer will require Xbox Live Gold on console.

For players on Windows 10 PC, the chart below outlines the minimum and recommended specs.

The Coalition debuted Gears 5’s new Arcade mode during a livestream overnight.

The 90-minute stream showed off two maps, both running Gears 5’s Arcade mode in TDM. Arcade is one three modes available in the Gears 5 tech test going live this weekend, alongside King of the Hill, Escalation and the Bootcamp training mode.

Arcade is a completely new mode that aims to make Gears 5 multiplayer accessible to players who traditionally avoid Gears multiplayer. The mode borrows from hero shooters by assigning passive skills to its roster of characters, as well as unique loadouts and upgrade paths. This is The Coalition’s way of diversifying the action and preventing matches from devolving into Gnasher shotguns 24/7.

Outside of some changes to sliding speed and distance, as well as spawn behaviour, Arcade doesn’t mess around too much with Gears multiplayer. The biggest difference from the main modes, however, is the skulls system. By earning kills or assists you rack up skulls, which is a currency used to buy power weapons.

Skulls persist between lives, but power weapons are lost when dropped and when you’re killed. The different power weapons have different skull costs, and you’re able to re-buy them as often as you want, provided you can afford it.
It looks fun in a different way from traditional Gears multiplayer. You can watch the full stream archive below, though expect some stream hiccups midway through.

    Bandit replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Could be true! Newcastle United have signed striker Joelinton from Hoffenheim for a club record £40m fee on a six-year deal. The...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister.
    It's a sad indictment on the state of British Politics when nobody is pulling our new Prime Minister up on this;
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Major Tom's post in the thread Pickem/Survivor - 2019 Seasons with Like Like.
    The NFL Pickem and Survivor pools are now open, the first week schedule is available for the Pickem game with Survivor week 1 selection...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    The latest OBJ comments are no doubt gonna stir things up among Giants fans such as myself. I get he feels disrespected (if everything...
  • Aimie
    Aimie replied to the thread Boris Johnson is the new Prime Minister.
    Doesn't look great for BoJo regarding Brexit.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Star Trek: Picard.
    I'm betting that's a captured Borg cube! Janeway and the Borg hunters been busy!
    • attachment.jpg
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (Ubisoft).
    The first free episode of The Division 2 has been released for Year 1 Pass holders, as part of title update 5, and takes agents into...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread Xbox LIVE Deals with Like Like.
    Exactly the same for me. I've been keeping an eye out for a sale on Nier: Automata, but I know if I buy it it'll hit Game Pass soon...
    Microsoft has announced this week's Deals With Gold for Xbox Live Gold members. These deals run through July 30 Xbox One Deals...
    I don't think Bale to Bayern is too likely; it's not the kind of move they tend to make. Age, injuries, wages, etc - it just doesn't...