Gears of War 5

Gears of War 5 was announced today during Microsoft’s Xbox E3 2018 briefing.

In development with Gears of War 4 studio The Coalition, Gears of War 5 will be released on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC.

The Xbox E3 2018 announcement isn’t a surprise at all, considering a Walmart Canada listing leaked it in May.

Gears-of-War-5-Announcement-Trailer.jpg

Last edited:

The Coalition had quite a few surprises under its sleeves at E3 2018, from Gears Pop! (developed with MediaTonic for mobile devices) to Gears Tactics (developed with Splash Damage for PC), though of course, the star of the show was really Gears of War 5.

In an interview with Wired at E3 2018, The Coalition boss Rod Fergusson talked about the technical targets set internally for Gears of War 5.

Our target is always 60fps, and we believe – with everything we've done, the learning we've taken from Gears 4, and the optimizations we've been able to do beyond that – that's exactly what we're going to be doing, 60fps at 4K. The new technology of this generation has been fantastic.
This would be a departure from Gears 4, which ran at 4K resolution and 30fps in its Campaign mode while multiplayer ran at 60fps.

Fergusson also said that the game has been optimized for PC since the development began and should allow high frame rate up to 120fps (just like the previous instalment did).

Having a game that we're building from the ground up for PC means players will be able to take advantage of all the types of different PC optimization options you can have. You'll be able to max it to quite high. It's still reasonably early, but we can usually get to 120fps. It's obviously going to matter what hardware you're using to get that – but it'll be able to scale up that high if the hardware can push it.

Gears of War 5 might just be ready to hit your consoles on September 10th. This is according to a reported leak on the official website of Taiwan’s game rating board. The latest installment in the Gears of War franchise has been confirmed for a 2019 launch previously although a specific date hasn’t been officially announced yet.

portada-gears-5-generacionxbox.jpg

For a brief period of time, the Taiwanese games rating board’s website had an updated listing of Gears 5 that showed the game’s box art.

gears_5_leaked_art_watermark_1.jpg The box art has since been changed to a more generic one with a black background and a white logo. The original version, spotted by Generacion Xbox [Spanish], prominently featured Kait Diaz, whom we’ve known for a while is going to be Gears 5’s main protagonist.

More interestingly, the cover also shows the Locuts queen Myrrah, who was killed at the end of Gears of War 3. The ending to Gears 4 suggested that there’s a connection between Kait and Myrrah, and the former certainly has a Locust pendant to prove it. This, judging from Gears 5’s only trailer, will be the driving force behind the main events of the game.

If this leaked release date is indeed accurate then is is likely that the new Gears of War game will fine itself confirmed at Microsoft’s upcoming E3 2019 conference in June this year.

  • Some Random Guy
    Some Random Guy replied to the thread Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City.
    Great player, captain and ambassador. He will definitely be missed by City.
  • Some Random Guy
    Some Random Guy replied to the thread The Latest Boxing Crack.
    The power Wilder has is frightening, the sound of that punch connecting was sickening. Shame he’s an absolute idiot.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Lloyd Kelly signs for Bournemouth. I thought he would have signed for Liverpool. Young left back but sounds like he could be a good one.
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City.
    Kompany personified the character that was needed to drag city out of the old haphazard ways and into the new era of Mancini and beyond...
  • SteveO
    Captain Vincent Kompany has left Manchester City to become player-manager at former club Anderlecht. The 33-year-old defender has...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    Fantastic from Man City. I didn't give Watford much of a chance beforehand but I didn't expect them to get hammered either.
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread The Latest Boxing Crack.
    Good win for Billy Joe Saunders last night. Still can't believe one judge gave Isufi 3 rounds. Forget about drug testing the fighters...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Angel Has Fallen (2019).
    Sign me up. Love these cheesy actioners. Not overly mad on the being-framed-and-on-the-run-to-prove-his-innocence plot. Going a bit...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread FA Cup 2018/19.
    City are on a different level. They made that look ridiculously easy. Could have been different if Pereyra had put that early chance...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Days Gone (Bend Studios).
    Was that the one where you used the napalm molotovs?