Fantasy Game of Thrones

Lagan

Managed to avoid spoilers all week and watched episode 5 last night, really enjoyable.

Although disappointed Cersei and Daenerys never had a proper stare down. Was looking forward to the confrontation all episode.

Looking forward to the finale this Monday.

Game of Thrones
The Iron Throne
Season: 8
Episode: 6
Air date: 2019-05-19

In the aftermath of the devastating attack on King's Landing, Daenerys must face the survivors.

A few more episodes could have fleshed things out a bit more but overall not a bad ending and does wrap things up.

Just feels like wasted potential. Rushed ending. I know endings are hard and we've yet to see what GRRM does with his, maybe his will be written even worse? It's a world where a finite ending isn't really possible after all. That said, it could still have been played and executed better imo.

Still, not bad. I'll take that. Tens years. Some moments good, some bad, but mostly all of it was good and memorable. Gonna be a while before I find another show that has the same impact.

  • Like
Reactions: Regan

Just finished it. This shot was amazing.

The ending was ok, but unfortunately the whole season was so rushed, which is disappointing.

Regan

Regan

I'm okay with all the main plot points.
Dany going mad, Jon killing her and going north, Sansa being Queen of Winterfell, Bran on the Throne with a council, Unsullied returning to Essos etc.

It's the writing and how they got there is what went so very wrong. The story line, the pacing, the logic, the timeline, the dialogue, the consistency was all poor.

For me, they spoiled a great show and Season 7 and 8 has left me feeling unsatisfied

I'm fine with a lot of it.

I read a review that said Jon and Dany's arc would have been much better if we felt like we loved her the same way we felt his love for Ygritte, but like most of the plot, that was too rushed to really buy into it. If S7 and S8 had been 10 episodes each, the plot itself was fine. With just 13 episodes, there was too much to do in too little time.

It does feel like everyone is where they are meant to be at the end - Jon gone North of the Wall, Sansa ruling Winterfell, Tyrion back in King's Landing, Arya off exploring and the Unsullied sailing away. The moment Dany burnt down a surrendering city we knew Jon would have to kill her.

The only surprise is Bran on the throne, I'm not sure about that but the rest makes sense to me.

I could be wrong here but it feels like the whole series was ultimately about the Stark children and their destiny and that is how it played out, it is just something the viewers never really picked up on? I've not seen anything online to support this theory though, so maybe not.

Some good bits in the finale but also some ridiculous stuff.

Dany was never going to be Queen. We knew this. Her bloodlust has grown, and Tyrion gives the measure of her. She's always been told she does the right thing, she truly believes what she does is right. Even when she slaughters thousands of innocent people, she believes this was right.

Jon was never going to be King. The only way he could take the title would be if he kills Dany. Jon though, much like Ned, is a painfully honest man. I don't doubt for a moment that he confessed to killing her. Jon also does not want to be King. He didn't even want to be King in the North.

Sansa was never an option. All she wants is for the North to be it's own Kingdom.

Gendry was a possible option, at least he's the son of a previous King.

I'm not saying I like Bran Stark as King, but of the remaining people he's one of the only choices for a "happy ending".

Bronn being Master of Coin and agreeing to give money to the Crown doesn't make much sense either considering the Lannisters stole all the money from Highgarden to pay off the Iron Bank. Brienne being Kingsguard to Bran doesn't make a lot of sense either, it would have made more sense for her to be Queensguard to Sansa.

The worst part of the episode though hands-down was Sam saying the name of the book. Holy f*ck who thought that was a good idea? And Tyrion doesn't get mentioned in it even as "Hand of the King to Joffrey" or anything? Either way, a horribly ham-fisted excuse for fan-service worse than most of the other fan-service that's happened this season.

End of season thoughts. Honestly, I really, really wish they'd gone with 10 episodes and dedicated some time to Bran outside of his nonsensical vague one-liners.

Might have been awfully tidy, but I enjoyed it.

I imagine a lot of people may not, that's up to them. I wanted things wrapped up, they were. A kinder finish in many regards, than I'd expected.
I could be wrong here but it feels like the whole series was ultimately about the Stark children and their destiny and that is how it played out, it is just something the viewers never really picked up on? I've not seen anything online to support this theory though, so maybe not.
I was thinking the same thing whilst watching the final episode. It did feel like that.

Cherub

Cherub

The series ended where Season 1 began. With the Stark family.

I think they got the ending right in many ways.

The characters' fates felt apt, enough major players killed, Bran becoming king providing enough of a twist, some bittersweet-ness with the Starks scattered to all corners and Jon having to kill Daenerys. In many ways he got the ending he wanted too, he's not with the Night Watch, he's North of the wall with the free folk (Wildlings).

No matter which ending they had gone with people would still complain. I didn't mind how they tied it all together, there were some potholes and again the pacing wasn't great but when you're working with only a given amount of episodes/time then that is to be expected.

Tyrion: "Will you lead the Seven Kingdoms to the best of your abilities from this day until your last day?"
Bran: "Why do you think I came all this way?"

Ultimately the bad guy in the show was the Three-Eyed Raven. Knowing he would become king means knowing King's Landing was going to burn. He didn't warn anyone because he wanted the throne. He even sends the true heir to the Night's Watch so he can't be usurped

Going to miss it. One of the best TV shows ever, with some of the best characters ever created.

    SteveO replied to the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019).
    It really was terrible, I don't think anyone in it wanted to be there, they all just phoned it in.
  • SteveO
    SteveO reacted to Biscuit's post in the thread Fantasy Dark Phoenix (2019) with Agree Agree.
    I thought it was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence, every time she was on screen had a sulk on and you could tell she had no interest in being...
  • SteveO
    SteveO replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    Nobody is spending that on Zaha, maybe Arsenal would buy him for half that. Totally priced out of a move. Dortmund were linked with him...
    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 01 July 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Rafa Benitez Leaving Newcastle.
    Not sure that he knew too much about the decision according to some reports
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread.
    Even with the move to Vegas next year there was just too much happening with the Raiders this year to pass on them. It’s going to be...
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom reacted to David76's post in the thread NFL 2019 General Discussion Thread with Like Like.
    This is gonna be the best Hard Knocks in years
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread Formula 1 2019: Discussion Thread.
    Very dull race today. Slight bit excitement on last lap but not really enough. Norris did well and was so unlucky. Of course, it...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Formula 1 2019: Discussion Thread.
    Geez, this French Grand Prix is like............
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft).
    Just pulled the trigger on the season pass. But I can't seem to download the first Episode from Legacy of the Lost Blade. Currently...