Formula 1 2018: Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Round 2 - Bahrain

Sebastian Vettel has claimed his second successive win at the start of 2018 after holding off Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas for victory in an epic Bahrain GP.

Vettel won after running an extended second stint on soft tyres ahead of the one-stopping, medium-shod Mercedes cars of Bottas and Lewis Hamilton.
Ferrari switched Vettel on to a one-stop strategy of his own midway through the race when it became clear he would lose out to Bottas and potentially Hamilton if he pitted again.

Bottas caught the faltering Ferrari in the closing stages but could not find a way past Vettel as the four-time world champion eked out his ailing tyres.

Kimi Raikkonen retired from third place after a botched pit-stop in which a Ferrari mechanic suffered a double-leg break.

On a disastrous evening for the Red Bull team, both Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen retired on the opening laps. Ricciardo's car suffered a catastrophic loss of power while Verstappen's RB14 was severely damaged after a collision with Hamilton's Mercedes.

Verstappen later blamed Hamilton for the clash, arguing the world champion hadn't given him sufficient room.
Result
1 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 0.699s
3 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 6.512s
4 Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso 63.717s
5 Kevin Magnussen Haas 74.264s
6 Nico Hulkenberg Renault 84.906s
7 Fernando Alonso McLaren 1 LAP
8 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1 LAP
9 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1 LAP
10 Esteban Ocon Force India 1 LAP
11 Carlos Sainz Renault 1 LAP
12 Sergio Perez Force India 1 LAP
13 Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso 1 LAP
14 Charles Leclerc Sauber 1 LAP
15 Romain Grosjean Haas 1 LAP
16 Lance Stroll Williams 1 LAP
17 Sergey Sirotkin Williams 1 LAP

Did not finish
Raikkonen Ferrari wheel
Verstappen Red Bull crash
Ricciardo Red Bull loss of power

Cracking race and plenty of positive results throughout the field.

Biggest losers this round are Williams and Red Bull .

3-Night-Package-Australian-Grand-Prix-2018-900x329.jpg

I'll give Hamilton a bit of credit to get up from 9th to the podium but the Red Bull double retirement played a big part of that.

What a race, can't believe Vettel nursed the tyres to keep the win. With 2 laps to go I'd have bet on a Mercedes with DRS against tyres 10 laps outside their window.

I wonder will they start looking into things which might make the pitstops safer, two races now where pitstops have an issue?

Round 3 already, early mornings, good for the early starters. Mercedes will be looking for revenge, Ferrari to extend the lead, McLaren to show that they can fight, like Torro Rosso.

TV times - (Sky only I think)
Saturday
4 am − Practice Three
7 am − Qualifying

Sunday
7.10 am − THE CHINESE GRAND PRIX

Last year Hamilton won.

I can't get over how bad Williams are this year. Get Stroll out of that car, I wasn't happy with Sirotkin getting the drive before Kubica but its Stroll that should get the boot. Utter garbage.

Fully expecting Vettel to win easily in China but the Mercedes and Red Bulls will battle with Raikkonen for the podium. And midfield battle will be tasty as well, looking forward to the race.

Creaky

Creaky

Only 2 rounds gone but it's looking like it may be Ferrari year, hopefully Mercedes can pull something out of the bag.

Just seen the highlights on C4. Very exciting qualifying. Would have loved to see Kimi get pole but he just seems to lack that last bit of commitment.

Hamilton not on his A game today even though he was saying his team needs to be.

Good to see Force India doing better and Renaut still doing good. McLaren still have a lot of work to do and Williams are very bad.

I can't get over how bad Williams are this year. Get Stroll out of that car, I wasn't happy with Sirotkin getting the drive before Kubica but its Stroll that should get the boot. Utter garbage.
Williams are in serious trouble. When their cars can't get out of Q1 with a Mercedes engine it really does question the decision to have 2 inexperienced pay drivers in the car.

Would have loved to see Kimi get pole but he just seems to lack that last bit of commitment.
Since they've been teammates at Ferrari, Vettel has won 10 grand prix and Kimi none. Just not good enough that.

    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    In the Championship, Huddersfield Town have sacked boss Jan Siewert, who led the Terriers to just one win in his seven months in charge...
  • Birdman
    Birdman replied to the thread Talk Football - General Football Chat.
    Incredible goal! Not just the finish but the 1-2 on the wing and the cross in. Aduriz had only been on the pitch for 60 seconds. He's...
  • Bandit
    Bandit replied to the thread Need for Speed: Heat.
    It does look stunning in fairness, and I find it looks even better when you play it as videos don't do it justice. I really want this to...