Motorsport Formula 1 2018: Discussion Thread

WE ARE FORUM BANTER!!!
Talk about the things that matter to you!!
Welcome to our online community. Feel free to sign up today. Everyone is welcome here.
Join The Conversation

Latest Posts New Threads

Major Tom
Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

Major Tom

Today, 05:18
Apr 1, 2018
Round 2 - Bahrain

Sebastian Vettel has claimed his second successive win at the start of 2018 after holding off Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas for victory in an epic Bahrain GP.

Vettel won after running an extended second stint on soft tyres ahead of the one-stopping, medium-shod Mercedes cars of Bottas and Lewis Hamilton.
Ferrari switched Vettel on to a one-stop strategy of his own midway through the race when it became clear he would lose out to Bottas and potentially Hamilton if he pitted again.

Bottas caught the faltering Ferrari in the closing stages but could not find a way past Vettel as the four-time world champion eked out his ailing tyres.

Kimi Raikkonen retired from third place after a botched pit-stop in which a Ferrari mechanic suffered a double-leg break.

On a disastrous evening for the Red Bull team, both Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen retired on the opening laps. Ricciardo's car suffered a catastrophic loss of power while Verstappen's RB14 was severely damaged after a collision with Hamilton's Mercedes.

Verstappen later blamed Hamilton for the clash, arguing the world champion hadn't given him sufficient room.
Result
1 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 0.699s
3 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 6.512s
4 Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso 63.717s
5 Kevin Magnussen Haas 74.264s
6 Nico Hulkenberg Renault 84.906s
7 Fernando Alonso McLaren 1 LAP
8 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1 LAP
9 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1 LAP
10 Esteban Ocon Force India 1 LAP
11 Carlos Sainz Renault 1 LAP
12 Sergio Perez Force India 1 LAP
13 Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso 1 LAP
14 Charles Leclerc Sauber 1 LAP
15 Romain Grosjean Haas 1 LAP
16 Lance Stroll Williams 1 LAP
17 Sergey Sirotkin Williams 1 LAP

Did not finish
Raikkonen Ferrari wheel
Verstappen Red Bull crash
Ricciardo Red Bull loss of power

Cracking race and plenty of positive results throughout the field.

Biggest losers this round are Williams and Red Bull .

SteveO
Staff member Staff member

SteveO

Apr 6, 2018
I'll give Hamilton a bit of credit to get up from 9th to the podium but the Red Bull double retirement played a big part of that.

David76

David76

Apr 7, 2018
What a race, can't believe Vettel nursed the tyres to keep the win. With 2 laps to go I'd have bet on a Mercedes with DRS against tyres 10 laps outside their window.

I wonder will they start looking into things which might make the pitstops safer, two races now where pitstops have an issue?

SteveO

SteveO

Apr 6, 2018
Round 3 already, early mornings, good for the early starters. Mercedes will be looking for revenge, Ferrari to extend the lead, McLaren to show that they can fight, like Torro Rosso.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FDaVxZvDXkAAbvXq.jpg%3Asmall&hash=b6bb3754ac74c527cfc32408bf1afa43

TV times - (Sky only I think)
Saturday
4 am − Practice Three
7 am − Qualifying

Sunday
7.10 am − THE CHINESE GRAND PRIX

Last year Hamilton won.

Bandit

Bandit

Apr 3, 2018
I can't get over how bad Williams are this year. Get Stroll out of that car, I wasn't happy with Sirotkin getting the drive before Kubica but its Stroll that should get the boot. Utter garbage.

Major Tom
Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

Major Tom

Apr 1, 2018
Fully expecting Vettel to win easily in China but the Mercedes and Red Bulls will battle with Raikkonen for the podium. And midfield battle will be tasty as well, looking forward to the race.

Creaky
Staff member

Creaky

Apr 12, 2018
Only 2 rounds gone but it's looking like it may be Ferrari year, hopefully Mercedes can pull something out of the bag.

Dylan
Staff member Staff member Staff member

Dylan

Apr 9, 2018
Just seen the highlights on C4. Very exciting qualifying. Would have loved to see Kimi get pole but he just seems to lack that last bit of commitment.

Hamilton not on his A game today even though he was saying his team needs to be.

Good to see Force India doing better and Renaut still doing good. McLaren still have a lot of work to do and Williams are very bad.

SteveO

SteveO

Apr 6, 2018
I can't get over how bad Williams are this year. Get Stroll out of that car, I wasn't happy with Sirotkin getting the drive before Kubica but its Stroll that should get the boot. Utter garbage.
Williams are in serious trouble. When their cars can't get out of Q1 with a Mercedes engine it really does question the decision to have 2 inexperienced pay drivers in the car.

Bandit

Bandit

Apr 3, 2018
Would have loved to see Kimi get pole but he just seems to lack that last bit of commitment.
Since they've been teammates at Ferrari, Vettel has won 10 grand prix and Kimi none. Just not good enough that.