Motorsport Former Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne Has Died

Former Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne has died aged 66, only a few days after standing down from Ferrari due to a shoulder injury. The Italian use to be the CEO of Fiat and was crucial in turning around the company's fortunes, and also saved Chrysler from bankruptcy.

Marchionne was born in Italy but moved to Canada at a young age. He became an accountant and later CEO of Swiss company Algroup. Only a few years into the 21st century, he moved to Fiat, owner of Ferrari. Soon enough he became the CEO of Fiat also, at a time when the company were losing plenty of money. He managed to return the company to recognition, and began to turn in profit.

In 2014 Marchionne stepped into the world of F1, and was now chairman and CEO of the struggling Ferrari, replacing Luca di Montezemolo. Both the F1 team and Ferrari as a company had a sharp increase in fortunes also: the company was now in the New York stock exchange and Sebastian Vettel has been challenging for the Formula 1 championship in a Ferrari.

After qualifying for the German Grand Prix last Saturday it was announced he would be stepping down due to a shoulder injury. His death was announced today this morning, with complications during his surgery. His death was confirmed by John Elkann, who has succeeded him as chairman at Ferrari.

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)