General Dead Or Alive 6 (Koei Tecmo)

Koei Tecmo has announced a new instalment in the Dead or Alive fighting game series: Dead or Alive 6.

Dead or Alive 6 is in development for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. The game was revealed earlier by IGN.

Dead or Alive 6 will utilise a new engine, according to the site, with a focus on higher-fidelity visuals and more realistic facial expressions. The game will be 4K-ready, and will feature improved lighting.

The graphics overhaul will also allow for things like sweat and wounds to appear more prominently and realistically. Some of this can be seen in the first trailer and screenshots below.

According to IGN, the game’s core mechanics haven't changed. Interactive stages and many Dead or Alive characters will return, with Kasumi, Hayate, Hayabusa, Helena, Jann Lee, and Zack all confirmed to return.

View media item 52
148-dc91082ac6b7748356eae670e6de4ba5.jpg 149-6035161e440935c8970b8a0950b56cd2.jpg 150-c56436672f407fb8cc24f294930fa2c6.jpg 151-c0cb4c1b36a7cb21c9e73da6e0efb092.jpg 152-db1b26b778d875680c724db2ed210f3b.jpg 153-15af5749d6e8891f88d27faf3955e2a0.jpg

Gameplay-wise, Dead or Alive 6 is introducing a new combo and special systems called Fatal Rush, and Break Gauge.

The idea is that these will be simple to execute to make it easier for beginners to get into the game. It basically sounds like a version of auto combo systems we’ve seen in a few recent fighting games like Dragon Ball FighterZ, and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.

More gameplay will be shown at E3 this weekend. In fact, the official site confirms more news on Monday, June 11.

Dead or Alive 6 will be released sometime in early 2019 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Dead or Alive 6 will tone down traditional sexualized elements, focusing on more practical costume designs and natural body physics.

The Dead or Alive series has been about sex appeal ever since it launched in 1996. In fact, it was intentional: Team Ninja believed that purposely being provocative would allow for a more entertaining product. So if you wondered why the breast physics of female characters bear little semblance to reality, that would be why.

Still, a lot has changed in twenty years, and it seems Team Ninja is ready to try something different. Dead or Alive 6 will feature a more realistic fighting style, complete with practical costumes and natural body physics.

To be clear, that’s not just referring to breast physics. Fighters will develop bruises while taking damage, and even sweat as each match progresses.

“I want to show how sweaty the fighters get as they fight, either female or male, it doesn’t matter,” game director Yohei Shimbori told Eurogamer. “They can really go to the extreme in their fighting and get injured. We want to show the damage as well.”

Costumes are being overhauled as well. Perhaps the most notable example is Kasumi, who has gone from an outrageously revealing outfit to a somewhat more realistic, skin-tight combat suit. Interestingly enough, Shimbori is building on a trend developing in the comic book industry.

“The reason I chose that costume is because I’m a fan of American comic books,” he continued. “When you look at American comics, they’re abandoning those classical costumes and becoming more functional, becoming more like fighters. They have certain materials they use for the costumes. I thought that was a wonderful idea and I wanted to follow that.”

As for breast physics, Shimbori has promised outrageous motions won’t go away entirely, but it will be less exaggerated. “We are trying to achieve some natural movement, so when you move, things move naturally. That’s our intention,” he explained. “This is a fighting game. We felt people were not looking at this as a pure fighting game. They were looking into something that was in the wrong direction. So, we wanted to make sure this is a fighting game first.”

The Dead or Alive 6 has a new trailer and release date. Koei Tecmo has now confirmed a worldwide launch of February 15 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

The latest trailer for Koei Tecmo’s upcoming fighter is one of spectacle, reintroducing old fighters and an electrifying new arena.

Dead or Alive 6 developer Team Ninja has revealed that British assassin Christie is the latest character to join in the furious fisticuffs.

Team Ninja’s Dead or Alive 6 was slated to release on February 15th for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. However, the developer has since announced a delay to March 1st. The additional time will be used to polish the game’s balance, gameplay, and “expressivity”.

In a statement on the game’s official website, producer/director Yohei Shimbori said, “The title’s development is already near complete; however, we would like to take more time to further polish its balance, gameplay, and expressivity. In return for your patience, we commit to bringing you the best Dead or Alive gaming experience. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused by the release delay of Dead or Alive 6.”

The roster so far is largely made up of series mainstays that made their debut either in the original Dead or Alive or Dead or Alive 2, but what with this being a new major entry in a fighting game, we’ve also got some new fighters joining the fray for Dead or Alive 6. The roster is swelling to be quite significant in size now – but if the final list will reach the heady numbers of DOA5 (nearly 40 characters) remains to be seen. As you’ll see below, even if this is the final list the Dead or Alive 6 character roster offers quite a diverse set of fighting styles.

Dead or Alive 6 character roster list: all confirmed characters
  • Ayane: the legendary purple-haired Kunoichi – and a series staple. She has a fast, furious and unpredictable fighting style.
  • Bass: king of the ring professional wrestler ‘The Muscle’ Bass returns. He’s still riding his hog – and embarrassing daughter Tina.
  • Bayman: Bayman is a Russian assassin best-known for his less-than-stealthy bright orange combat attire. He knows all sorts of CQC techniques that’d rival even Solid Snake…
  • Brad Wong: drunken Master Brad Wong is always off his head, but that lets him use the wild, often confusing Zui Quan fighting style. He loves beer.
  • Christie: the world of DOA is full of assassins, and none are perhaps as deadly as Christie and her Snake Fist fighting style. Plus, she’s a Brit. What’s not to love?
  • Diego: newcomer Diego was raised on the rougher backstreets of New York City. As such, he’s got a rough-and-tumble street fighting style.
  • Eliot: an orphan, Eliot was chosen to be the sole pupil of a martial arts master. Now, he competes in tournaments like DOA to prove his prowess.
  • Hayabusa: video game royalty, Hayabusa is of course also known for Ninja Gaiden – and appropriately fights with the Hayabusa Style Ninjitsu.
  • Hayate: there are so many bloody ninjas in this game. Hayate uses Mugen Tenshin Ninjutsu – giving him swift, powerful moves.
  • Helena: in a sense, Helena is partially to blame for all of this, since her father started the DOA tournament. She’s a skilled martial artist herself, fighting with the elegant Pi Gua Quan style.
  • Hitomi: half Japanese, half German, Hitomi is all Karate master, and is a solid balance all-around fighter, quite capable in all facets of combat.
  • Honoka: still a schoolgirl, Honoka is a kung-fu master in her own right, and has developed her own style that she rather originally called Honoka Fu.
  • Jann Lee: with a surname shared with his obvious inspiration Bruce, it’s easy to guess exactly how Jann Lee fights in DOA.
  • Kasumi: the Kunoichi of Destiny has an updated look for this latest addition to the series. She’s usually a good character for beginners, with a simple but varied move-set and strong strikes.
  • Kokoro: using the Ba Ji Quan fighting style, Kokoro’s elegant fighting rather resembles dancing – but it’s far more deadly than it looks, especially if she manages to throw you.
  • Mila: hailing from Spain, Mila represents a more modern form of fighting – the world of Mixed Martial Arts. She has an appropriately aggressive style, including a brutal ground game.
  • Leifang: series favorite Leifang is back with a new bright yellow outfit. Her fighting style seeks to turn the aggression and power of opponents back against them.
  • La Mariposa: also known as Lisa, this ex-professional wrestler still fights in her Lucha Libre fighting style – meaning you’ll spend a lot of time in the air.
  • Marie Rose: Swede Marie has ended up as Helena’s maid, but she’s pretty deadly for a maid, able to use the Russian Systema fighting style. She might be small, but she packs a serious punch.
  • Nico: newcomer Nico is a blue-haired scientist from Finland, and combines Pencak Silat – an old South-east Asian martial art – with technological gadgets. Doing so allows her to deal out serious damage.
  • Rig: in a very acute case of name-influencing-job, Rig was once a worker on an oil rig. Fair enough. He’s a Taekwondo master, and is more acrobatic and agile than his brute force looking appearance might suggest.
  • Tina: series favourite Tina is back with her all-around-solid professional wrestling style – and she’s finally stepping out of the shadow of her famous father.
  • Zack: dapper man Zack is now probably more famous for his exploits running a beach volleyball holiday paradise island, but he’s also a powerful Muay Thai fighter – though his style isn’t exactly conventional…
DOA 6 DLC characters:

In addition to the core roster, a few additional Dead or Alive 6 characters who’ll be available as downloadable content. Some have already been announced for DOA6, even – mostly as pre-order bonuses. Here’s the DLC for DOA6, and how to get them:
  • Nyotengu (DLC – pre-order bonus)
  • Phase 4 (DLC – pre-order bonus)