Dame Tessa Jowell (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter Birdman

The former Labour culture secretary, passed away yesterday, aged 70. She was diagnosed with a brain tumour a year ago and had suffered a haemorrhage on Friday. Apparently, she played a significant part in getting the 2012 Olympics to London. She seems to have been a decent person.

Sad news. The speech she gave in the Lords about her condition was very moving.

RIP. That incredibly rare phrase "decent politician" comes to mind.

Cherub
Staff member

Cherub

A sad passing - not for who she was or what she represented more for the dignity with which she bore herself through the last year of her life. RIP Tessa Jowell

Reactions: Major Tom

Sad news indeed. I heard her interviewed on radio a few weeks ago and she was a very very brave woman and clearly thinking of others during her awful illness.
RIP. That incredibly rare phrase "decent politician" comes to mind.
Indeed - respected I would think by all people - no matter their party allegiances.

Brave lady who held her head high despite knowing she would die early.

Sad news. Unlike many politicians she came across as a thoroughly decent person.

Sad news. She always seemed to have the best interests of others above her own.

Quite a contrast from some of the people she mixed with.

RIP

RIP. She showed remarkable integrity and bravery...

Janey
Staff member

Janey

Very sad. Not many likeable politicians around but she was one of them. Her speech in Lords was really moving and brought about a deserved standing ovation. Lovely lady who often put others before herself.