General Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt Red)

Revealed live from the Xbox pre-E3 press conference

Cyberpunk 2077 revealed its first full trailer during Microsoft's pre-E3 press conference. The video, which we've embedded above, shows a bright, glittering, futuristic metropolis with a dark underbelly.

The game was first announced in 2012 during CD Projekt Red's Summer Conference, shortly after the release of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. CD Projekt Red has set the project in the Cyberpunk universe, created by designer Mike Pondsmith in 1988 for his tabletop role-playing game, titled Cyberpunk 2020.

From that game's official description:

The Corporations control the world from their skyscraper fortresses, enforcing their rule with armies of cyborg assassins. On the Street, Boostergangs roam a shattered urban wilderness, killing and looting. The rest of the world is a perpetual party, as fashion-model beautiful techies rub biosculpt jobs with battle armored roadwarriors in the hottest clubs, sleaziest bars and meanest streets this side of the Postholocaust. The Future never looked so bad.

But you can change it. You've got interface plugs in your wrists, weapons in your arms, lasers in your eyes, bio-chip programs screaming in your brain. You're wired in, cyberenhanced and solid state as you can take it to the fatal Edge where only the toughest and coolest can go. Because you're CYBERPUNK.
maxresdefault-21.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077 is being designed as a single-player only game, but that could change at some point after the game’s release.

Cyberpunk 2077 finally made its debut at E3 2018 this year, and the end of the Xbox E3 presentation. Matt, one of our folks on the ground, has seen a gameplay demo and came away from it extremely impressed.

We know that the game is both an FPS and an RPG, with a lot of people drawing Deus Ex comparisons. We also know that it’s being designed as a single-player experience – but apparently, post-launch, there’s the possibility of multiplayer content being introduced.

When Eurogamer attended the behind-closed-doors preview session for Cyberpunk 2077, they asked whether the game was going to have any sort of multiplayer element. Quest designer Patrick Mills confirmed that it’s a single-player only game, but that their R&D department had worked on some multiplayer concepts and ideas as well.

When pressed on whether multiplayer could arrive down the track, Mills said “no promises. Nothing at launch. At launch, we’re concentrating on the single-player game. That’s what we want to give you.”

So that’s not a yes and not an outright no either, although it does confirm that the developers aren’t planning anything specific or concrete right now. Of course, Cyberpunk 2077 has been in development for a long, long time, so perhaps we should wait until we have it before we speculate too much on its future.

This week, CD Projekt Red finally updated the world on the state of Cyberpunk 2077, an action-RPG set in the world of the tabletop game created by Mike Pondsmith.

Behind closed doors at E3 this week, the company went on to show that the game would be a first-person RPG where players would build custom characters, decide their backstories, and dive into a crime-filled city of hackers, murderous scavengers, and vengeful corporate agents.

While grim settings (and the colorful characters who give them life) are nothing new to CD Projekt Red, a game set in a modern urban context, even if it's the future, comes with far more baggage than the Polish fantasy of the Witcher series (which itself saw discussion around how it depicted an exceptionally white medieval world).

Since depicting any modern urban environment means making a more diverse cast across ethnic and gender lines, we wanted to quickly check in with CD Projekt Red about how they were handling depictions of those characters.

As it turns out, quest designer Patrick Mills (who will have more for us on the quest design of Cyberpunk 2077 in an upcoming interview) said this is something the company has been closely thinking about, since they're making a game that is "very contemporary, very relevant to now."

"Very often, we see something [that may be offensive to players] and we say 'that's great, but, think about the larger context here.' We have to be willing to make mistakes, and then fix those mistakes and be aware," explains Mills. "We have to talk to people, we have to do our research, it's an ongoing process and we're always trying to do a good job with it."

But, when you're developing a game that's wrapped up under NDA, how do you realize when you're making those mistakes? First, Mills claims that CD Projekt Red has a diverse team generally interested in preventing those moments, and second, it's actually a part of the process that you can sometimes treat like bugfixing. "Sometimes it does involve QA," says Mills. "This is a Polish studio, and so sometimes there are things that, someone will put in, that they don't know the American context of it. They understand it in a Polish context, but not realizing in an American context it would be seen very very differently."

Mills wasn't able to go over any specific mistakes the team had course-corrected on, but when asked about resolving a common sight in action games---a white protagonist barging into a room full of non-white enemies and opening fire---he explained how CD Projekt Red might address that situation by asking the QA team for help.

"What'll happen is, someone will notice something...we have people who say 'hold on, are you sure about this? And sometimes it involves going to QA and saying 'hey, if you see this particular thing, let us know. We're not doing this thing. This is something we're not going to do.'"

As part of that accountability process, Mills says that CD Projekt Red absolutely wants players and developers to let them know if they see the dev team slipping up. Overall, it's fascinating to see a developer team reckon with the setting they've selected for their game, and acknowledge it may be worth trying to dampen instances of racism, sexism, or other prejudices & bigotry that could arise from that setting.
So it seems CDPR are worried about offending people (mainly Americans) to the point that they treat anything that might cause offence to them as a QA issue that should be reported. That seems pretty counter to the attitude they had during the Witcher's development days and also to what they said about "mature experience intended for mature audiences."

You won’t be running into any loading screens as you explore the world of Cyberpunk 2077.

At first launch, Cyberpunk 2077 will load all contents of the world, but that’s the only time you’ll be greeted with a loading screen in the game.

This detail was confirmed by associate design director Kyle Rowley in a chat with fans on the game’s official Discord server (via Spieltimes).

Although this is typical for many open-world games today, the thing to remember with Cyberpunk 2077 is that a lot of its buildings can be entered. The game’s world is very dense, even more so than CD Projekt RED’s previous work.

In other Cyberpunk 2077 news, it was recently revealed that the game is played exclusively in first-person, and will feature various colour-coded gear rarities with numbers flying off enemies as you shoot them.

Absolutely stunning and just how I imagined it would look. Really glad it's first person. First person driving looked better than third as well.

  • Like
Reactions: Fraser and SteveO

Looks amazing, god only knows when the release date is though. I'd say late-2019 at the earliest.

  • Like
Reactions: Bandit

Looks amazing, god only knows when the release date is though. I'd say late-2019 at the earliest.
I reckon (hope) it will be sooner than we think.

Fraser

Fraser

That looks absolutely fantastic. Wasn't really sure what to expect from the screens released so far, but the details is amazing. Can't wait to get stuck into this (whenever its released).

  • Like
Reactions: Bandit

That looked awesome. Only watched the 15-minute version, so didn't see any driving, but I'm leaving it at that and will not watch anything else to do with this until the release trailer, regardless of how long it takes!

  • Like
Reactions: Bandit

Nice analysis video on the character creation.