Latest Posts New Threads

Gemma
Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

For me, the Fifty Shades of Grey films come readily to mind. They are considered trash by the critics and deserve their reputation but yet find an audience and are genuinely popular. I'm not a fan of these 3 films and they are among the worst films but are popular with many.

Here's some more examples (from Rotten Tomatoes)

What movies come to mind as critically panned (and generally deserving to be!) but yet are loved by many?

The Rocky Horror Picture Show was panned on release but saved by an obsessive audience and subsequently reappraised.

Scarface similarly bombed with the critics, did moderately successful box office and became a VHS and DVD bestseller before being retrospectively viewed far more positively by critics.

Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

Law Abiding Citizen is another one that was panned by the critics yet the audience really like it.

I didn't mind it myself. Like most Gerard Butler movies, if you switch your brain off before watching you'll be just fine.

Dylan
Staff member Staff member Staff member

Not sure if it was panned universally by critics, or just on Rotten Tomatoes, but Event Horizon got something like a 26% rating from critics.

Labyrinth (with David Bowie and Jennifer Connolly) did badly on release, but has a massive following now. Never got that major DVD/ Blu-Ray release it kind of deserves.

Connie
Staff member

Connie

Con Air is one that springs to mind. So terrible, yet so brilliant. For John Malkovich and Steve Buscemi's part alone.

Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

Grease was panned by the critics too, but they knew it would be a hit.

Hudson Hawk. Huge flop, Box Office disaster, panned by critics. Strangely good.