Computer Upgrades

Gromit

My computer is about 4 or 5 years old now and my friend says that it is way out of date compared with the latest builds and I should consider an upgrade!

How often do you upgrade?

Fraser

Fraser

I see no reason to buy a new one unless it's not meeting your needs.

If you do need to upgrade, the easiest and cheapest thing would be to install more memory, then perhaps upgrade the CPU.

The only time I see it's necessary to buy a completely new computer is when you've maxed out the specs on your current PC. Most PCs come with a bit of headroom that you can add to after a couple of years.

  • Like
Reactions: Major Tom

My last desktop lasted 5 years and I never needed an upgrade. It might have specs that were out of date but it was working and doing everything I needed. It started to get sluggish and I knew it was dying and replaced it just last year. My one before that was also about 5-6 years also. My tablets I do upgrade every 1-2 years, my laptop every 3 or so. I see no reason to upgrade unless your current one isn't sufficient. I'm not a gamer and just use the computer for general internet, word processing, accounting, storing files, and etc. Nothing that requires super speed and space. My corporate job only gives us upgrades every 3-4 years and I do 100% more on the work computer, so if a large organisation doesn't upgrade yearly or bi-yearly, why should I.

Slenderman

Slenderman

I upgraded my CPU and motherboard almost 4 years ago, but I didn't need to. The initial problem ended up being a bad power supply. I probably could still be using my CPU/Mobo from 2012. As it stands, I don't see any need to upgrade any time soon. For basic video/internet, it performs exactly as it should.

    Here are this week’s games and add-on deals on the Xbox Games Store. Discounts are valid now through 27 May 2019. Xbox One Deals...
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread Huawei Phones.
    The Huawei issue has been doing the rounds in the UK for years and at one time they actually provided the UK government with the source...
  • Sad Professor
    Sad Professor replied to the thread Fantasy Game of Thrones.
    No matter which ending they had gone with people would still complain. I didn't mind how they tied it all together, there were some...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Summer Transfer Window 2019.
    I think a player with the nickname ‘slab head’ is always worth the money :ROFLMAO:
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Science Fiction Westworld.
    No idea if the next series will be much kop, thought the second one was right up its own arse and where it goes next is questionable...
  • David76
    David76 posted the thread Codemasters reveals new Grid game in VIDEO GAME NEWS.
    Codemasters has just announced that an all-new Grid will be coming to consoles and PC later this year, with the fourth instalment in the...
  • David76
    David76 added the media item Grid - Reveal Trailer to Video Games.
    Check out the first reveal trailer for the Grid reboot.
    Grid - Reveal Trailer
  • David76
    The Xbox Backward Compatibility Sale is back again this year, and this time they are discounting more games in the catalogue than ever...
  • Cherub
    Cherub replied to the thread Fantasy Game of Thrones.
    The series ended where Season 1 began. With the Stark family. I think they got the ending right in many ways.
  • Aimie
    Aimie replied to the thread Science Fiction Westworld.
    Season 3 trailer