Question Coconut Oil - Healthy or Not?

Janey
Staff member

Janey

I use it now and again for flavour more than anything - a tablespoonful stirred into mashed potatoes is divine.

But my general take is the same as everything else - moderation.

The actual case against coconut oil stems from the fact that it's around 88% saturated fat, albeit of a vegetable nature and so less harmful to all species.

Providing you don't use too much coconut oil, what you should really be worried about - and avoid like the plague - is palm kernel oil and palm oil, which is in practically every processed product out there. Defo. avoid any that's hydrogenated.

That oil too is high in saturated fat, around 82% for palm kernel oil and 50% for palm oil (but I'm unsure whether processors make the distinction). Of course, the real problem is deforestation, loss of animal habitat, slaughter and extinction of animals and climate change.

So don't worry about the modest use of coconut oil (use different ones for different purposes) but shun processed food. What do they say? "If it's made from a plant, eat it; if it's made in a plant, feck it." Or something like that.

The best oil for cooking, I'm told, is sunflower oil as it generally works out at around 9% saturates, 72% polyunsaturated and the rest monounsaturated or try rapeseed oil, which has the advantage of containing a significant percentage as omega-3s.

Likes: FiFi
Connie
Staff member

Connie

Rapeseed is my favourite, I do use some coconut but typically it would be sunflower oil for me, olive or rapeseed for salads, toasted sesame for stir-frys.

Oh, look at me with all my oils :x3:

Likes: FiFi
FiFi
Staff member

FiFi

This is very helpful @Jane, thanks.

Sometimes it’s difficult to know if you’re making the healthy choices when medical professionals give conflicting advice.

  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Chelsea have confirmed the loan signing of Higuain for the rest of the season. I'd say PSG are gutted. Lost Rabiot to them and now De...
  • Dylan
    Dylan replied to the thread What Are You Reading?.
    Hunt Them Down by Simon Gervais. Enjoyed it, the central character has the potential to be a Jack Reacher type.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Sad news about Emiliano Sala. Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread January 2019 Transfer Window.
    Summer signing but someone a few clubs were after, €75m and another possible €11m in add ons.
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner.
    Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time. Manny did a...
  • David76
    David76 liked Major Tom's post in the thread Resident Evil 2.
    I remember playing RE2 when it first came out in 1998, so much hype then too, it was brilliant. Got my mate to play the first couple...
  • David76
    David76 replied to the thread Resident Evil 2.
    My code arrived from CD Keys. Pre loading now :)