Question Coconut Oil - Healthy or Not?

Janey

I use it now and again for flavour more than anything - a tablespoonful stirred into mashed potatoes is divine.

But my general take is the same as everything else - moderation.

The actual case against coconut oil stems from the fact that it's around 88% saturated fat, albeit of a vegetable nature and so less harmful to all species.

Providing you don't use too much coconut oil, what you should really be worried about - and avoid like the plague - is palm kernel oil and palm oil, which is in practically every processed product out there. Defo. avoid any that's hydrogenated.

That oil too is high in saturated fat, around 82% for palm kernel oil and 50% for palm oil (but I'm unsure whether processors make the distinction). Of course, the real problem is deforestation, loss of animal habitat, slaughter and extinction of animals and climate change.

So don't worry about the modest use of coconut oil (use different ones for different purposes) but shun processed food. What do they say? "If it's made from a plant, eat it; if it's made in a plant, feck it." Or something like that.

The best oil for cooking, I'm told, is sunflower oil as it generally works out at around 9% saturates, 72% polyunsaturated and the rest monounsaturated or try rapeseed oil, which has the advantage of containing a significant percentage as omega-3s.

  • Like
Reactions: FiFi
Connie

Connie

Rapeseed is my favourite, I do use some coconut but typically it would be sunflower oil for me, olive or rapeseed for salads, toasted sesame for stir-frys.

Oh, look at me with all my oils :x3:

  • Like
Reactions: FiFi
FiFi

FiFi

This is very helpful @Jane, thanks.

Sometimes it’s difficult to know if you’re making the healthy choices when medical professionals give conflicting advice.

Janey

Janey

Sometimes it’s difficult to know if you’re making the healthy choices when medical professionals give conflicting advice.
Do doctors get any nutritional education? :unsure: