Talk Music Classic Albums

Any "classic" albums that you cannot understand how they are popular or critically acclaimed?

I've never understood how "Andy Warhol" by The Velvet Underground and Nico was so popular. I've tried, believe me, but I just don't get it.

And I fail to understand how anything by Radiohead gets critical acclaim.

Maybe I'm not cool enough :(

  • Like
Reactions: Dylan

Trout Mask Replica! I love half of Beefheart's stuff in all.

Also Exile on Main Street I think is grossly overrated but I've never been a Stones fan.

And I fail to understand how anything by Radiohead gets critical acclaim.
I thought OK Computer was pretentious shite while The Bends is a very good.

Definition of "classic" is a bit subjective and vague but I agree Andy Warhol is hard work.

I used to be a big fan of Van Morrison, but really couldn't get with Astral Weeks at all.

The Queen Is Dead. I always struggle to understand what made The Smiths so popular.

On a slight tangent to this, I have just visited this page List of best-selling albums - Wikipedia and got two surprises.

Firstly I had believed that Dark Side Of The Moon was second only to Thriller in album sales, but this list shows that Back In Black is in second place above DSOTM.

Secondly, I had assumed that Who's Next had sales similar to Led Zep IV but it's not even on the list!

I can’t get away with the classic Rolling Stones albums. Similar with The Beatles. Revolver is the only album I can say that I actually love. The White Album would be too if Paul hadn't had done anything on it.
The Queen Is Dead. I always struggle to understand what made The Smiths so popular.
Morrisseys superb tongue in cheek/sarcastic lyrics over the top of Marrs ridiculously catchy jangles. Probably. I was never a fan myself.
I had assumed that Who's Next had sales similar to Led Zep IV but it's not even on the list!
I never thought The Who were an albums band. Just great songs throughout their catalogue.

Anything by Yes.

I really like most progressive rock sorts but never got the attraction. They always had decent album covers mind.

I really like most progressive rock sorts but never got the attraction.
I love prog but I do struggle with Yes. The odd track here and there is OK, but some of it is just OTT for my ears. Also, listening to Anderson’s voice for prolonged periods wears very thin. It’s weird, he has a beautiful voice, it’s just not well suited to some of Yes’ material.

Laifot

Laifot

Nice thread.

I have issues with AC/DC. I don't like them at all. :(

Even though i'm a huge rock/heavy metal fan i don't seem to really have their music in me. i actually dislike their style of making music. The same goes with Gun N' Roses.

Instead i dig Rush, hoping that prog fans actually don't differ with me. Rush is the best band in the galaxy.