Citizen's Inheritence (1 Viewer)

David Willetts, former Tory Cabinet minister and now at the Resolution Foundation, has been involved in writing a report which has many radical ideas - amazingly given his background it amounts to a redistribution of wealth by giving a £10,000 "Citizen's Inheritance" to the young funded by taxing the old.
The oldest millennials will soon be 40 ... we have to make a bold offer to get them part of the property-owning democracy
Thing is he gets it - Conservative policies speak to the wrong constituency - Conservatism needs voters who have something to conserve (ie something they own). Millennials don't own their own home, they often have nice cars instead but they don't own them - they lease!
the evidence was there before the crash of 2008. Young people were being priced out of the housing market from the early 2000s. “We have wasted 10 years trying to recover from the crash,” he says.

“We can’t waste another 10 years on Brexit. We need to act now.”

“Too many young people are left feeling that our nation’s priorities lie elsewhere and not with them. Older generations have more wealth but, despite decades of promises, no social care system adequate to provide the support they deserve, need and expect.”
So the Citizen's Inheritance is the most eye-catching of the ideas in the report which effectively sets out how Willetts thinks the Tories can be handed a lifeline and how the Corbyn threat, by the appeal to the younger voters, can be nullified by making them an offer that helps them.

Pie in the sky?

Pie in the sky?
Read about this the other day. It is a crazy idea!

Build affordable, quality housing, run by, and with rents set, by local government. Don't allow people to buy them. Market pressure will bring down extortionate rents in the private sector and reduce the over inflated house prices in the UK. People can then realistically aspire to save for a deposit on their own home.

It's as simple as that but nobody wants to do it because too many rich people will be a bit less rich and MPs like the dividends they get from all the house builders.

Nothing much wrong with renting if you are youngish and single. We do need rent/lease control though. Selling off council houses is one of the most stupid ideas I have ever known.

Nothing much wrong with renting if you are youngish and single. We do need rent/lease control though. Selling off council houses is one of the most stupid ideas I have ever known.
Hailed as a Tory flagship policy or jerrymandering depends which side of the fence you sit on. The stupid bit of the idea was not allowing councils to use the income from sales to replace the stock they sold.
Build affordable, quality housing, run by, and with rents set, by local government. Don't allow people to buy them. Market pressure will bring down extortionate rents in the private sector and reduce the over inflated house prices in the UK. People can then realistically aspire to save for a deposit on their own home.
Is probably the correct answer, if you add in long term leases.

Hailed as a Tory flagship policy or jerrymandering depends which side of the fence you sit on. The stupid bit of the idea was not allowing councils to use the income from sales to replace the stock they sold.
Because of the often huge discounts, the money raised would have been unlikely to be enough to replace like with like. It certainly seems a policy driven by political dogma rather than the best interests of the populace.

    Major Tom replied to the thread Mindhunter.
    First three episodes are excellent. Better than season one.
  • Major Tom
    Major Tom replied to the thread General Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread.
    Very nice result for Spurs against City. Had to ride their luck at times but that's to be expected. City will be disappointed to have...
    Coutinho immediately becomes one of their absolute best players, so it's well worth it for them - he's good enough that they can...
    Goal of the season already!?
    Pocket Casts and Player FM