Citizen's Inheritence (1 Viewer)

David Willetts, former Tory Cabinet minister and now at the Resolution Foundation, has been involved in writing a report which has many radical ideas - amazingly given his background it amounts to a redistribution of wealth by giving a £10,000 "Citizen's Inheritance" to the young funded by taxing the old.
The oldest millennials will soon be 40 ... we have to make a bold offer to get them part of the property-owning democracy
Thing is he gets it - Conservative policies speak to the wrong constituency - Conservatism needs voters who have something to conserve (ie something they own). Millennials don't own their own home, they often have nice cars instead but they don't own them - they lease!
the evidence was there before the crash of 2008. Young people were being priced out of the housing market from the early 2000s. “We have wasted 10 years trying to recover from the crash,” he says.

“We can’t waste another 10 years on Brexit. We need to act now.”

“Too many young people are left feeling that our nation’s priorities lie elsewhere and not with them. Older generations have more wealth but, despite decades of promises, no social care system adequate to provide the support they deserve, need and expect.”
So the Citizen's Inheritance is the most eye-catching of the ideas in the report which effectively sets out how Willetts thinks the Tories can be handed a lifeline and how the Corbyn threat, by the appeal to the younger voters, can be nullified by making them an offer that helps them.

Pie in the sky?