Brexit Discussion Thread

Another defeat for Theresa May today.

Prime Minister Theresa May has suffered another Commons defeat after MPs voted down her approach to Brexit talks.

MPs voted by 303 to 258 - a majority of 45 - against a motion endorsing the government's negotiating strategy.
43 days till Brexit.
Fewer than 30 sitting days of Parliament.
May is actually losing support for the deal.
Tory Party loving their stupid drama and personality nonsense.

This is just an absolute unmitigated disaster.

No Deal is well on its way now, I don't see the EU moving, and I don't see the deal getting through Parliament

  • Like
Reactions: Slenderman
Slenderman

Slenderman

Another defeat for Theresa May today.
I do love the ridiculousness of this all where they won't vote for anything she puts forward but at the same time, they refuse to remove her from power and vote against motions of no confidence because nobody in the Tories wants to be responsible for this shit show as none of them has any better ideas.
No Deal is well on its way now, I don't see the EU moving, and I don't see the deal getting through Parliament
They are in for such a shock when they realise they have run out of road and no deal is an actual thing.

The farce continues. Nearly 1000 days and nothing has been agreed. It is time the politicians stopped trying to fuel their own agendas and delivered for the country.

Brexit is an absolute shambles. I don't see an extension resulting in anything different from what is happening now.

The issue now is that we have effectively 5 groups:

The Brexit ultras who want no-deal;

The Tory pro-May group who will snatch at any deal passing to avoid no deal;

The soft Brexit group looking for EEA/EFTA/Single Market Membership or equivalent;

Hard remainers who will vote against any Brexit of any type (SNP, Lib Dems, TIG, etc);

Labour, who will vote against any Tory-led deal, regardless of what's in it. They simply want a catastrophic Brexit that they can blame on the Tories for generations.

To get anything through parliament, you need three of these groups to work together to get a majority. Sadly, this is impossible. We are stuck, well and truly stuck.

I'm absolutely lost with everything that is going on!

Could now be.....

Vote to ask for an extension tomorrow (seems likely).

Theresa May has a third go at the same deal, probably on Tuesday...same result (I really don't see 75 Tories switching at this stage), next Thursday the EU say "no" to an extension, as what is the point?

The following week ("Brexit" week at that)....motion is passed in the Commons to revoke Article 50, no second referendum, the whole show is called off at the last minute as its either Revoke and stay, or leave with no deal, as the only two options left...

I'm absolutely lost with everything that is going on
It's a shambles Tom. Not even the politicians know what's going on.

I've been using the word shambles to describe Brexit and this whole mess the British parliament have gotten themselves into, but I think shambles is too soft a word.

I doubt UK will leave at this stage. Farcical.

  • Like
Reactions: Boozy

I think many ERG Tories will do an about turn on May's deal now. Not sure it will be enough though, but MV3 could be close. She might get it through at a 4th attempt 😐

I think many ERG Tories will do an about turn on May's deal now. Not sure it will be enough though, but MV3 could be close. She might get it through at a 4th attempt 😐
It would be close but MV3 will not get over the line without the backing of the DUP or a number of opposition members who May has never make any attempt to communicate with thus far.

Zidane

Zidane

Teresa May is playing games, dangling MV3 along with her potential resignation and the party whip in order to ensure the indicative votes the other night failed. I think the customs union and second referendum options would have got a majority but for that.

For the second time, none of the MP's proposed Brexit options wins clear backing in the Commons vote.

Can't say I'm surprised. It's beyond a joke at this stage. The British political system is completely broken.