Brexit Discussion Thread

FiFi
Staff member

FiFi

Margaret Beckett spoke a lot of sense yesterday.

A very good speech. Pity more MPs weren’t there to hear it.

The European Court of Justice has ruled the UK can reverse Article 50 unilaterally. The plot thickens.

This Tory government is a complete joke.

I watched the news in disbelief yesterday as they reported that the government had handed a £13m contract to Seaborne Freight to lay on extra ferry crossings if the UK leaves the EU without an agreement. It later emerged that Seaborne Freight DOESN'T even have any ships!

Brexit is going to be a disaster.

Lost by 230 votes, catastrophic defeat on Brexit. Painful defeat for Theresa May. Jeremy Corbyn tables a vote of no confidence in the government.

What a shambles, Brexit deadline is under 2 months away.

What happens now?

What happens now?
She'll win the vote of no confidence and then we'll have another round of voting on a slightly reworded Brexit plan. She'll lose that then be off to the EU to try and get some more amendments agreed.

I can’t see the EU agreeing to an extension because there’s no progress been made here. That leaves a revocation or a no deal and I can’t for one second imagine there’s a parliamentary majority for no deal.

There should have been an outline of the plan to "Leave" prior to the referendum.

There should have been something almost definite prior to Article 50.

Nobody voting "Leave" knew what they were voting for.

Write it off as a hideously expensive blooper that has made the Tories look unbelievably incompetent and work towards Remaining.

What a waste of time, money and resources. Shameful.

Write it off as a hideously expensive blooper that has made the Tories look unbelievably incompetent and work towards Remaining.
I think "Remain" is very much on the cards. There are MPs already pushing for revoking Article 50. If done there will be promises of returning to it, but I doubt anyone will have the guts.

Revoke will be discussed in Parliament within the next week.

CaptainObvious
Staff member

CaptainObvious

Corbyn has made it far more likely that we end up with no deal. He’s hijacking the situation to try and force a general election to suit himself rather than the electorate. When he said he wanted "a new kind of politics" didn’t realize he meant a much nastier type of politics.

The Labour party is a shambles. At present neither the Conservatives or Labour are united or capable of running the country. They need to remember they are there to serve the people, not their own agenda.

Then we have Sturgeon up here calling for a second independence referendum. Hopefully, she gets her wish, gets trounced and then disappears from political life!!!